looking at modding this car wrong

sn0man1

Established Member
Just some wild thinking:

I have been thinking about all this talk about the car, how bad (or good) it is, and how we need to improve it. I think with the 03/04 cobra and previous mustangs, everyone has been on and on about adding HP, and blowing by vette's z06's vipers etc. The previous mustangs were light (or lighter anyway) and so our focus has been on what mods that are easy to put on the car will make this much power, and what mods will make that much tq.

There has been a second set of thinking, which is to bash the weight of the car. Everyone saying, we'll never overcome the weight, or the weight will never make this car any good.

Personally, I just don't get why we aren't looking into the avenues (we also means tuners) of researching and developing aftermarket parts that are replacements that lighten the weight, yet retain stock functionality and comfort levels.

If we can drop 300 lbs. won't that be 3 tenths in the quarter (don't know the rule) we currently have a vert running 12.5's or 12.6's stock. That is low low 12's out of a car that is a 4 seat convertible muscle car.

People also talk about tires and characteristics of weight as to how it relates to traction and starting. But, wouldn't a lower vehicle weight help improve those characteristics as well?

I guess what i'm trying to say is, we have alot of HP junkies, and alot of weight complaining babies. Can't we combine forces and have mods that retain the cars stock nature, but happen to weigh less? That way everyone is happy! :p

sn0man1

Established Member
One thing i forgot... currently mods that are readily available and acceptable in the mustang (cobra/gt500/mach1) market are HP adders. Dealerships don't like, condone or accept (or at least are begruding to) HP adders. However, I don't see how a dealership would void your warrenty on a stock engine or suspension component, if it is now carrying LESS weight on the car.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Racing seats, coil overs, LCA's (Steeda), driveshaft, radiator support (BMR) are all relatively simple to replace.

Stock mufflers might be heavier than stock, big gains will be seen in body panels (trunk, hood). One thing I do NOT want to do with a brand new car would be to repaint and reapply stripes to lighter skin. :xpl:

cobra12003

Established Member
I think some people forget that we want to buy the car stock and have all this performance. Now all I read about is how so many people want to buy a car and change everything from rods to body panels.
How can the stock mufflers be heavier then the stock ones?? I did not understand that ?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
the main point is power to weight ratio. it is far easier and less expensive to add power than to take off more than a little weight.

3800lbs(stock no option gt500 w/ 1/4 tank), 440rwhp stock, 500rwhp tune exhaust pulley

3800/440 ~ 8.6
3800/500 ~ 7.6
3350/440 ~ 7.6

now it will take a lot more money to get a 3800lbs down to 3350lbs than it takes to get power up to 500rwhp.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
cobra12003 said:
I think some people forget that we want to buy the car stock and have all this performance. Now all I read about is how so many people want to buy a car and change everything from rods to body panels.
How can the stock mufflers be heavier then the stock ones?? I did not understand that ?

I meant stockers being heavier than aftermarket units usually..

sn0man1

Established Member
issue 1.) cost: well i guess that is a true-ism about the cost of all these lightweight things, vs. just tuning and pushing the motor. I guess if we had some company make a bajillion lighter parts, then they wouldn't be that bad, but I'm just wishfully thinking.

2.) Replacement body panels. What about the hood, and the trunk/spoiler? A lot of people liked the concept pieces better, so what about some aftermarket tin/aluminum/carbon fiber pieces? I know, and have been fearful for carbon fiber painted pieces myself, but after seeing the vette have a carbon fiber hood painted with stripes for the Z16 vette's, I'd like to hope that it wouldn't be the hardest thing to reproduce.

I guess another way to look at it, is if ford brought us a 42k mustang, that weighed less than the 05 mustang GT, but had 425hp supercharged 5.4 cast iron. Wouldn't we have a better platform to start from?

snatchss454

Established Member
Aftermarket K member, upper and lower control arms and rear seat delete would be a good start. Couple that with a tune, exhaust and pulley and your doing pretty well.
Im not sure what the driveshaft is made of but maybe an aluminum peice would be good.
Shane

sn0man1

Established Member
I read about the radiator support (BMR) and wouldn't this cause issues with handling? I want to improve straightline while also improving cornering, balance and handling.

thanks alot for the simple suggestions though (i'm perusing steeda's site now)

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
Just found sonething that makes irony seem like a physical force. Please note the comments by Mr. Thai-Tang on page 51 of this E-zine.(you have to register) http://www.windingroad.com/download/ Mr. Thai-Tang says more power is not in the works, but taking away some weight could make for an interesting car at some point in the future. "We've optimized the performance of this car to the full limit of the Mustang platform. I don't anticipate raising the max performance ratings above this level. However, there is still oportunity for us to deliver improved real-world performance by taking weight out."

Users who are viewing this thread