Looking fo Purchase Advice

san6279

Established Member
Have located an out-of-state dealer who is under MSRP. Sent them pics of my trade in. Lookin for any advice from the experts here. Things like important questions to ask since I can't see the car, ask for more recent pics?, defects (scratches) disclosure, Oasis report?, reasonable shipping fees, ship to local dealer for prep?, etc, etc.

Really appreciate any help.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Have located an out-of-state dealer who is under MSRP. Sent them pics of my trade in. Lookin for any advice from the experts here. Things like important questions to ask since I can't see the car, ask for more recent pics?, defects (scratches) disclosure, Oasis report?, reasonable shipping fees, ship to local dealer for prep?, etc, etc.

Really appreciate any help.

Just make sure they will give you the trade-in value (or range) for your car in-writing before you make the trip and/or ship the car. (They probably won't give you an exact number without seeing your trade first, just to make sure it's not a piece). They should be able to commit to a range of +/- $2,000 depending on your car's value. Once they see it they will probably deduct off the max value for worn-out tires, curb rash, extensive scratches, window cracks, etc..., so you will want to be up front about this stuff and not have a surprise when you get there.

Nice work finding a car! :beer:

ryan319

Established Member
I filled out an autotrader trade-in form for my 2005 mini cooperS when i bought my 2011 STI last year and the dealer was pretty much right on the that number. I called them first to confirm that they were in the ballpark and once they looked at the car they were OK with the numbers that we talked about before I got there. As Franz mentioned, be honest with them about the condition of it and send them a lot of pics. They're probably won't put anything in writing though without seeing it.

Is it close enought that you could make the trip?

san6279

Established Member
Good advice so far, thanks. If it was warmer would consider a drive. Those GY's just are not a good idea for winter though. If it works will probably have to ship.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
Go to a few dealers pic a large medium small and then some bigger used car lots and present the car as if you desire to sell it and see what they will pay that will give you an actual cash value to a dealer that has to fix clean warranty to some extent and then sit on the car until it resales wont take long but ride with if test driven :)

SVTKen

Established Member
If you have a Carmax nearby, go there and get their offer. Carmax will make an offer on any car, and cars that are in great shape that they can sell on their lot will usually get their top offer amount. They will give you an offer in writing that is good for a week.

san6279

Established Member
Thanks guys, great advice. Out-of-state got back to me. Trade offer is within 2k of what others have told me it would be. The dilemma is that it is fully loaded so, even though below MSRP, I'd be paying for stuff I don't really care about. The good news is I am guessing there is still room for negotiation since this was their first offer both for price and trade in value. Wish me luck.

SVTKen

Established Member
If it has everything you want, be thankful. It's better that it has a few extas you don't need than for it to be missing some of the must have options you really wanted. Be careful not to get screwed on the trade. In my opinion, if it's less than Carmax you're getting royally screwed without lube. If it's a Carmax offer match, you still got screwed, but at least they gave you some lube LOL.

san6279

Established Member
I will definitely check if there is a Carmax near me and stop by. Also, am going to a local dealer tomorrow to talk about a '14 and they are going to do a trade appraisal as well. Just trying to get as informed as I can heading into this. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread