Looking for a 4WD R/C truck. which one?

musclefan21

Established Member
I am very busy with work lately and i dont have time to go out and have fun. I pretty much do, work/gym/home everyday. I need a hobby and thinking ot buy myself a 4WD Monster truck to play with. Nitro ones are wayy to expensive. I am looking to spend like 100 bucks New or Used. I bought one of those 19volt new bright monster hummers from walk-mart for 75 bucks. shit was sooo quick, it would wheelstand anything i hit the gas. but I broke the rear end eventually.

Help a brother out please:beer:

Last edited:

straightliner1

Established Member
Electric R/C cars are easier and less expensive to get into than Nitro (as you mentioned). Keep in mind the better brands typically have a better following which means easier to get parts.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
I was about to mention the Team Losi Super Truck, but a $100 wouldn't come anywhere close.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
let me start out by saying that $100 wont get you far in this hobby! 2nd, stop by some local hobby shops, see what brands they carry. most should carry traxxas, HPI, team associated, and team losi, those are pretty much the big 4 of hobby grade RCs, but by no means the only good ones.
be prepaired to spend a couple bucks when your driving whichever one you get. if you are using the RC like your supposed to be using it, you will end up braking some stuff, so a hobby shop that stocks parts for your brand is essential. you could get by with ordering from the net, but who wants to wait?
now, if your dead set on spending a small amount of cash, get a team losi mini-T. its a 1/18th scale, but they have a HUGE aftermarket, and are as good quality as the larger ones. plus, the small size makes them great for running around indoors when its wet out or something. dont get the wrong idea though, you can swap motors in these things and make them fly!
if you would rather spend the extra cash to get a 1/10th scale, then your options are wide open as far as stadium trucks. there just aren't too many solid 4WD RCs in 1/10th besides the traxxas e-maxx(electric version of the t-maxx). i would suggest staying away from the older e-maxxes because they aren't the sturdiest of trucks, although upgrades go along way with them. the traxxas e-revo is a very good truck, but its not cheap.
in 1/8th scale, there is the HPI e-savage. very good truck, cheaper than the e-revo and very durable too.
for 4WD trucks, there isn't much in the way of electrics, most electrics are 2WD, but you cant go wrong with the trucks i listed. although its 2WD and its not one of the larger scales, i really think you should get a team losi mini-T to get your foot in this hobby. they are cheap, parts are cheap, hop ups are plentiful, and you will know if you can justify dropping more cash on a larger scale in the future.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
I have been out of touch with this hobby for some time. What I notice nowadays is that the only kits available in the stores are RTR (ready to run), which I find appalling. Of course this is likely a matter of opinion, but I find that I enjoy building the cars as much as I do driving them. Come to think of it, I enjoy building them a bit more.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i wish there were more ARRs out there, they are a rare sight though. of the few that are out there, most come with hop ups though!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
if you are using the RC like your supposed to be using it, you will end up braking some stuff, so a hobby shop that stocks parts for your brand is essential. you could get by with ordering from the net, but who wants to wait?.

oh so true.. I have a Axial AX10 Scorpion electric rock crawler and a Traxxas TMaxx Nitro.. both are fun, but since I bought the TMaxx I don't use the Scorpion very much at all...

as far as breaking stuff, electric rock crawling really isn't going to break much, but WOW does stuff break on the TMaxx..

black96snake

Established Member
I have been out of touch with this hobby for some time. What I notice nowadays is that the only kits available in the stores are RTR (ready to run), which I find appalling. Of course this is likely a matter of opinion, but I find that I enjoy building the cars as much as I do driving them. Come to think of it, I enjoy building them a bit more.

I'm the same way, but you'll end up tearing it apart before too long just to replace something that broke.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
oh so true.. I have a Axial AX10 Scorpion electric rock crawler and a Traxxas TMaxx Nitro.. both are fun, but since I bought the TMaxx I don't use the Scorpion very much at all...

as far as breaking stuff, electric rock crawling really isn't going to break much, but WOW does stuff break on the TMaxx..

i hit a tmaxx head on with my first savage. the entire front end of the maxx broke in half as my savage continued on its way. btw, the trucks were only going about 3 mph.

if you like buying parts, buy a traxxas product.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
black96snake said:
I'm the same way, but you'll end up tearing it apart before too long just to replace something that broke.

Haha. I never play with them long enough for that to happen, except for the crashes.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Honestly, avoid the Mini-T at all costs. It is a POS and will break every time you run it. A far better choice in that scale is the Team Associated RC18T. It is the same size, 4WD (Mini-T is RWD), and is just built better all-around.

However, you are certainly not really out of the hobby-grade 1:10 scale price range. You can pick yourself up a Traxxas Stampede. It is about 150 bucks (then you must buy a battery and charger, and those can go from really cheap to big bucks), it pulls wheelies, it is easily fixed, and it's pretty simple. It's just a RWD truck with big tires. Honestly, I don't normally recommend Traxxas products, but the thing is pretty solid. Traxxas also makes a truck called the Slash, which looks like a Trophy Truck, and that will run you about 200 bucks.

If you want to go big, get a Team Associated Monster GT 8.0. It's about 530 bucks, but has the biggest motor in an RTR on the market (.50ci motor) and is very easy to work on. I have one, and it is just a beast.

BTW, PM me if you have any questions. I am a former hobby shop employee and can help out with just about anything you have questions about.

Last edited:

2004 Culebra

Established Member
Just like most people mentioned a C-Note is not is not going to get you far for a hobby. Nitro is expensive but it is a blast. The speed and durability are amazing. I have flipped, crashed, flown, cracked, sheared and generally kicked the shit out of both of my 1/8th scale AWD buggies and they are monsters... I have had them both for 4 years now and they are still running strong...

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
For that price range I would go with something from radio shack. I beat the hell out of the one I had from there back in the day.

black96snake

Established Member
I've had great luck with my Traxxas Revo. I've beat the piss out of it and I think I've only broken one $5 part. FWIW my Revo is a 2.5 not the newer 3.3.

On the other hand I've had a T-Maxx and a Jato that were in constant need of repairs. The T-Maxx I think just has some design flaws that cause things to break. The Jato was just too damn fast to keep from hitting stuff.

Anyway I think that some Traxxas stuff is pretty good and others will have you at you local Hobby shop more often.

Bankstitan

Pwns F150s daily
Established Member
in all honesty, if you get into the hobby. you will spend lots of money. Just how it is. If you buy the cheaper stuff you will spend more money fixing it and it wont be any fun. Nitro is def the way to go. Not sure how much you are looking to spend but i have 3 nitro 4wd monster trucks for sale which i want to get rid of. THey are a popular brand and are fun to drive. Great quality trucks (traxxas revo 3.3, 2 x team losi lst2).

If you are interested, pm me, i can get you a god deal on those.

Users who are viewing this thread