Looking for a few build pointers...

MooseCT

Powered by Hate
Established Member
So I'll pretty much have all my suspension work taken care of by this summer, including chassis bracing and other odds and ends to make sure the power I make isn't being sucked up by anything other than wheelspin or the pavement. I'm at the point where I'm beginning to poke around and look for options for rebuilding the engine next winter. I guess you can never start too early, right? That being said, there are a few things I have to consider, and as far as the engine itself goes, I'm sort of a new guy to the modulars. I went to tech school and built two engines in my foxes, but I'm not so much in tune with what might be out there for the 4V; maybe a few of you can give me some pointers.

Down the road I'd like to add an HPS twin kit, so keep that in mind. I'll be keeping the Teksid because I know it's a capable platform for supporting what I plan on making for power well into the future. If possible, I'd like to keep the stock crank (as long as it's in good shape) and avoid a stroke increase because I realize the piston skirts tend to shorten up with those rotating assemblies and I don't want to be pulling the engine apart once this is done. Also, I don't necessarily want to deal with the compression increase that comes with the stroke, much less play around with dish CCs to compensate. I don't object to boring the cylinders out, however. For the HPS kit I plan on using, my tuning guy suggests no more than a 9.5:1, and for a higher PSI application, stick to 9:1. I'll be running on all engine for a bit to save the money for the twins, so I'd like to be able to make decent power NA until then. Yes, I realize an engine built for boost needs exactly that to reach its potential. I plan on MMR or SHM heads and I'm not sure which cams yet.

The rear end is a 3.73 and I'll be swapping in a T56 with a .63 6th. This will primarily be a street car with an occasional track day at Lime Rock, not a daily driver. I'm not looking to do this on the cheap or cut any corners, either. I realize that good things DO NOT come cheap and I only want to do this once. I realize that some of it will lie in the final tune, but the longevity of the final setup is critical. I plan to hang on to this car for a while.

Have at it. I truly appreciate any suggestions or tech info anyone has to offer on the build, and if my assumptions are off at any point, have mercy because I know I have a bunch to familiarize myself with.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
2 of the most important questions when building an engine were not answered in your post -

What are your power goals and what is your budget?

Your stock heads will work fine N/A or with the twin turbos

MooseCT