Looking For a New Car

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Mini coopers are fun to drive, and get great gas mileage, but I think they have electrical problems. We had a newer mini cooper for a little while. Never had an issue outside of the infotainment system. If you were on a phone call over bluetooth, when you got to your destination you had to hang up, then get out of the car, and then call back on your phone. Otherwise the car wouldn't disconnect and would leave phone numbers and other information displayed on the screen. Mini couldn't figure it out while we had the car.

We didn't have the car very long, and it didn't have many miles on it. Best dealership experience we've ever had though. Free oil changes, they filled up the gas tank for free every time, washed the car, etc. Did a great job on tinting the car. The salesmen never pushed us to buy anything, they even recognized us and asked us how our car was treating us at an autoshow.

We got rid of it, as not too long after we needed something much bigger.

snakedoctor

Established Member
I bought a new 2010 honda civic lx for a DD brand new for $15,000 7 years ago. I've put 112,000 so far and haven't had any problems with it. It gets 36-40mpg and I love driving it. You can't beat a honda for a commuter car, especially since you don't have to worry about the timing belts anymore. You might wanna also check out the new CRX--its called the CRZ. They're pretty sharp looking and are a hybrid. They've stopped making them this year so you can probably find a good deal on one.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Mini coopers are fun to drive, and get great gas mileage, but I think they have electrical problems. We had a newer mini cooper for a little while. Never had an issue outside of the infotainment system. If you were on a phone call over bluetooth, when you got to your destination you had to hang up, then get out of the car, and then call back on your phone. Otherwise the car wouldn't disconnect and would leave phone numbers and other information displayed on the screen. Mini couldn't figure it out while we had the car.

We didn't have the car very long, and it didn't have many miles on it. Best dealership experience we've ever had though. Free oil changes, they filled up the gas tank for free every time, washed the car, etc. Did a great job on tinting the car. The salesmen never pushed us to buy anything, they even recognized us and asked us how our car was treating us at an autoshow.

We got rid of it, as not too long after we needed something much bigger.

Good to know. I figured they are fun little cars to drive and always had my eye on them. And does sound like one of the best dealership experiences I've heard.

I bought a new 2010 honda civic lx for a DD brand new for $15,000 7 years ago. I've put 112,000 so far and haven't had any problems with it. It gets 36-40mpg and I love driving it. You can't beat a honda for a commuter car, especially since you don't have to worry about the timing belts anymore. You might wanna also check out the new CRX--its called the CRZ. They're pretty sharp looking and are a hybrid. They've stopped making them this year so you can probably find a good deal on one.

I looked at the CR-Z's too and liked the looks but did wonder about the battery on those hybrid models. I wonder what their longevity is like.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Good to know. I figured they are fun little cars to drive and always had my eye on them. And does sound like one of the best dealership experiences I've heard.

It could obviously vary from location to location, but the one in San Diego, CA was awesome.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
The supercharged coopers ( not sure what years ) have issues with engine fires. My buddy's burned up on the side of the highway.

Gotcha and too bad about his car. What a horrible thing to have to deal with. I would only get a non forced induction one anyways.......at least I think the one I saw didn't have a turbo on it, can't remember. Will check on that. I've looked at so many everything is starting to mush together.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The base models are NA. Well at least they used to be. Not sure about the new generation. We had a NA one. Its the non "S" model.

nxhappy

Established Member
Coopers look fun, but how in the hell do you fit anything inside? lol

krhonn

Established Member
Without talking to the sales program rep at work, this is the information I've found on our portal from work.
Vip program for extended family and friends
Dealer Invoice
Minus any current incentives if any
Let me know if this would be worth your time or interest.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Without talking to the sales program rep at work, this is the information I've found on our portal from work.
Dealer Invoice

Extremely interested. I'm not sure how much that would knock off but I will do some digging on that. Anyway I can cut back on the cost would be great.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Dealer Invoice

Well I looked at what dealer invoice meant and it showed me a couple of different things. So after work today I'm going to run by the local Subaru dealer and see what it means to them. I would send you a PM but it doesn't let me do that for some reason.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would suggest a Subaru 10 days a week over a Mini.

I wouldn't get an STi though.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I would suggest a Subaru 10 days a week over a Mini.

I wouldn't get an STi though.

Oh yeah, I totally agree. The build quality is amazing on the Subarus and the amount of options you get for the money is great. Not that I'm an options person but I sure wouldn't mind having them. Great resale value too (I've noticed the Mini's resale doesn't appear to be too good, from the used ones I've found). My father first got me interested in Subarus and from my own research discovered just how good they are.

I've always liked the WRX Sti's but I'm not going to get one. I really like the newest body style though. I have my eye on the Impreza 5 door sport in red though.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
only downfall is subaru will be more money for parts if you need a repair ...

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
That will be a fine car.

Good on @krhonn for helping you out price wise.

Absolutely great on that front indeed, I'm blown away by such a great gesture.

Mini are good cars but they've lost every comparison since the fiesta st came out.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a5850/2013-road-and-track-performance-car-of-the-year/

Wow, that is surprising to me the ST Fiesta beat out a upped version of the Mini. Must have been a blow out indeed since all the editors voted the same way.

only downfall is subaru will be more money for parts if you need a repair ...

That is a fair point to make. Hopefully warranty will take care of that for a long while though.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The FiST beat the Mclaren P1 for top gear car of the year....

In the above article:
1. New C7 Z51 Stingray
2. AMG SLS Black Series
3. Fiesta ST
4/5. Cayman S and F-Type S

The rest...
R8 V10 Plus
GTR Track Edition
F12
435i
Mini John Cooper Works GP
M6 Competition Pack
XFR S
AMG E63 S wagon

All that's left to do is drive it. Not bad for a car you can purchase for 20k new!

Users who are viewing this thread