Looking for a New Motorcyle

Sirraf

Established Member
So, I have been researching a new bike and I am somewhat torn between what is out there. I am really liking the Harley Fat Bob, but the styling of the Indian Scout Bobber is nice too. I think the Harley overall is the better bike, but the Indian seems to have better value. Does anyone have an opinion between the two?

Most of my riding will be country roads, to and from work on nice days, maybe a long day cruise occasionally. I don't see myself doing any overnight trips or cross state rides to justify a touring bike. I mostly want to have a fun cruiser that is going to take the place of my Shelby once it is sold. Thoughts?

Harley: $19k ish
Indian: $13k ish

6000000001.jpg

2000000007.jpg

buffalosoldier

Established Member
IMO you are doing apples to oranges, I believe the scout 60 would align more with the sportster price wise. And there are a buttload of late model, low milage Sportsters available for a fraction of a new bike.
But remember that advice freely given is usually worth what you pay for it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ajaf1656

Established Member
At least the Indian has arrived in the 20th Century with a DOHC and liquid cooled engine. But for $19k you could get the new Ducati Streetfighter V4 with 208 horsepower. (220 with aftermarket exhaust). Hehe

buffalosoldier

Established Member
This is just one of those somebody said things, but it went like, if you thing a Harley Davidson is expensive to maintain be glad you don't own a BMW or a Ducati.

SHOdown220

Established Member
This is just one of those somebody said things, but it went like, if you thing a Harley Davidson is expensive to maintain be glad you don't own a BMW or a Ducati.

Harleys really aren't expensive to maintain. They are such basic motorcycles you can do about anything in you garage with hand tools. Thats honestly one of the reasons I like them. My bike cost me (doing my own work) roughly $80 for the annual service which is all three fluids changed, and the rest is basic checks/adjustments. I have heard however that ducati and BMW are expensive to maintain although I don't know personally how true that is.

OP, if I'm not mistaken the scout is more comparable to the sportster line, and if they ride anything like a sportster its worth spending the extra on the harley. Not bashing sportsters they are great bikes but not very comfortable.

I demoed the new fat bob and didn't really care for the ergonomics, but thats really a personal preference. I would suggest looking at the dealers in your area for a demo event where you can ride the whole lineup for free and get a good feel of which bike is best for you.

Any of the new softails are really great bikes, big improvements over the old softail and dyna line it replaced. The sport glide, low rider s, and heritage are some of my favorites in the softail line. If you want more of an old school feeling bike, and to save some money, pick up a slightly used dyna with the twin cam, although not as refined as the new 107 they definitely have more soul to them.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I wouldn't go as far as to say a Ducatis have become cheap to maintain, but they have improved vastly in the last handful of years. The service intervals are now comparable to Japanese sport bikes. One thing to consider is how far you live from the nearest place with a reputable technician who can adjust the desmodromic valves. It's not just the motor either, you're getting high performance suspension, brakes and all the modern times amenities. You'll probably have to give up the village people outfit, but it's a minor inconvenience. Lol

bssmith1220

Established Member
Like a few others said the scout is more like the sportster. I own a sportster and it isn’t comfortable for more than 100 miles in a day really. It is a great bike for cruising around but not much power to speak of really. The fat bob is a step up and a nicer bike than the Indian you are comparing it too. I can tell you this. I didn’t want a sport bike when I bought my sportster two years ago. I grew pretty tired of it and bought a BMW S1000R last year and honestly haven’t ridden the sportster since.
I do think if I started with the fat bob I would have been satisfied longer but I think you’ll outgrow that scout pretty quick if you are used to fast cars.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
I live in southern Indiana and there isn't an Indian dealership within 100 mile radius. Wouldn't matter I have been riding Harley Davidsons since the 60s

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
I have a 2007 HARLEY DAVIDSON SPRINGER CVO SCREAMING EAGLE I'LL SELL YOU with 11k miles in Cobalt Blue. You can reach me at 7146169811 if interested.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
That would be awesome for riding around. Slayin the ladies.

ajaf1656

Established Member
That's just fugly.

Yeah, I wouldn't ride it. I've always ridden naked sport bikes. I rode my nekked FZ1 from Colorado to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP races back in 2010. I got tired of people saying I couldn't do a long trip on it....
... it was pretty miserable. Haha
5D63A50F-E777-4145-BC83-AE53A4FD0480.jpeg

Machdup1

Established Member
Clean, low mile used Street Glide or Electra Glide if you are going to use it for cruising and/or commuting.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
So, I have been researching a new bike and I am somewhat torn between what is out there. I am really liking the Harley Fat Bob, but the styling of the Indian Scout Bobber is nice too. I think the Harley overall is the better bike, but the Indian seems to have better value. Does anyone have an opinion between the two?

Most of my riding will be country roads, to and from work on nice days, maybe a long day cruise occasionally. I don't see myself doing any overnight trips or cross state rides to justify a touring bike. I mostly want to have a fun cruiser that is going to take the place of my Shelby once it is sold. Thoughts?

Harley: $19k ish
Indian: $13k ish

View attachment 1626956
View attachment 1626957
First, my credentials for this conversation are that I have owned 3 Harleys. A 2007 Sportster(EFI) for a few weeks, a 2007 Softail Fatboy(EFI) for 5 years and a 2012 Dyna Fat Bob (EFI) for about 2.5 years. I also owned for 2 years a 2004 Yamaha FZ1 (carb).

You need to be realistic about what your goals for this bike is. For what you want, I HIGHLY recommend you look into a Street Glide or an Electra Glide. Road King if you're more into no fairing with a windshield occasionally.

Yes, I know they are touring bikes but hear me out. Ill explain below. You can find a great used SG or EG for the price of a new "Fat Bob". Hell, you could probably find an SG or EG with the Milwaukee 8 for a great price compared to a new HD.

The myth that Touring bikes are only for the long distance riders is a myth. I cant tell you how many times I was on my Fatboy or Fat Bob wishing I had air ride, saddlebags and a windshield. I went with the Dyna after the Softail because I thought Touring bikes were old guy bikes. Had to live that Ape Hanger life!

Pegs are WAY better than floorboards unless you have the perfect leg geometry to keep them planted on boards. Easier to hook your riding boot into a peg and let the grip keep em locked in. Nothing worse than fighting to keep your feet on the bike for a long ride.

If I could do it all over again I would have skipped all 3 Harleys I owned and went straight to the Touring bikes. Probably a Road Glide personally, but any of the touring bikes since 2009 will do you right.

I used quotes around the Fat Bob earlier because since they killed the Dyna family line for the 2017MY, it has NOT been the same bike. Not by a long shot. A Street Bob, a Fat Bob and a Low Rider should never have been converted to the Softail line. Thats just me. I loved my Dyna Fat Bob 1000x more than I did my Fatboy.

After riding a rental Touring bike (finally) it had the fun of the Dyna, and a measure of comfort I had never experienced in 7 years of Harley riding. I traded my Dyna in on my 2014 Mustang GT because... well... I wanted a Mustang. A windshield, a roof... doors, heat and AC? AND CRUISE CONTROL? Jesus, I was ready for it.

But things may have been different had I gone with a Geezer Glide all those years before. Id recommend you rent one of each for a weekend at your local Harley dealer or Eaglerider. Rent the touring bike first, then the Fat Bob. Ride local and take it for a 4-6 hour ride on the freeway somewhere. I bet youll consider the Touring bike alot more than before.

Indian is a great bike, but honestly a little overpriced for what it is. They come from the same bones the Victory's did. Is it a genuine Indian Motorcycle? Its debatable but its a good bike.

Any questions, lemme know

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
maybel.jpg

My dyna after mods.

IMG_20110821_165343.jpg
IMG_20110821_165323.jpg

2007 Fatboy.

Dont buy a 2007 Fatboy. Front forks are.... weird. Ask me how I know.

Users who are viewing this thread