Looking For Advice On Stereo with Navigation - 07 GT500

kwhodson

Established Member
I am looking to purchase a stereo with CD/DVD, Sirius capable, Navigation and possibly a back up camera that has a screen around 6.5" +/- for my 07 Gt500. I see some people use the Raxiom from American Muscle, others buy new (old stock) OE units and the list goes on. I have not seen the OE units in person but I have seen and heard the Raxiom. My friend has the Raxiom and he swears by it. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken

Slow Five-O

Established Member
I have a raxiom in my 2014. I like it and the back up camera is great. I think I like the OEM one in my F150 ecoboost better though.
2641cead6791066a9d2575ca5b6d2e55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c0rn_fed

Established Member
I have a Kenwood dnn992 in my 07 and it is a great radio. The newer version of it is the dnn9990hd which is an amazing radio to have. If I had the cash I would upgrade to that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jfried

Established Member
Options, and general pros/cons:

1. OEM Navigation (Pioneer) -- These are the units that would've been optional on your car. They are not compatible with the shaker 1000, but other than that, can be made to work perfectly, including steering wheel controls if you add a 2010+ style wheel. Sirius tuner will be external. The downside with this unit is that it's really old, and will have a very outdated interface / limited features.

2. OEM Navigation (Clarion) -- These are the true "Sync Gen1" units, with a much better screen / interface (similar to the 2010-14 mustang OEM navigation), but will fit in the spot for a 2005-09 mustang. They have siriusXM built in, as well as a hard drive to store all of your music, and will look like a total factory integration. The downside with this unit is the cost, as they require an external amplifier, the sync module, and an adapter from 4dtech to make it work on a 2005-09 mustang. I've got some of the parts for sale to do this conversion, if you're interested.

3. Raxiom -- These will help maintain something "close" to a factory look, and should be able to be made to work perfectly in the 2005-09 mustangs. They have some buttons as well, which is important to me. The downside I see here, is in their operating system. I have no hands on experience with it, but as far as I understand, they do not have voice control. They will also likely be behind in terms of features versus a true aftermarket Clarion/Pioneer/Kenwood, simply because they serve a much more limited market.

4. Aftermarket of your choice -- The 2005-09 mustang has an advantage, in that it uses a standard double-din opening for it's radio, meaning there's tons of options. Personally, I've stayed away from these because having something that looks factory, and has tactile buttons for common functions, is very important to me.

kwhodson

Established Member
Options, and general pros/cons:

1. OEM Navigation (Pioneer) -- These are the units that would've been optional on your car. They are not compatible with the shaker 1000, but other than that, can be made to work perfectly, including steering wheel controls if you add a 2010+ style wheel. Sirius tuner will be external. The downside with this unit is that it's really old, and will have a very outdated interface / limited features.

2. OEM Navigation (Clarion) -- These are the true "Sync Gen1" units, with a much better screen / interface (similar to the 2010-14 mustang OEM navigation), but will fit in the spot for a 2005-09 mustang. They have siriusXM built in, as well as a hard drive to store all of your music, and will look like a total factory integration. The downside with this unit is the cost, as they require an external amplifier, the sync module, and an adapter from 4dtech to make it work on a 2005-09 mustang. I've got some of the parts for sale to do this conversion, if you're interested.

3. Raxiom -- These will help maintain something "close" to a factory look, and should be able to be made to work perfectly in the 2005-09 mustangs. They have some buttons as well, which is important to me. The downside I see here, is in their operating system. I have no hands on experience with it, but as far as I understand, they do not have voice control. They will also likely be behind in terms of features versus a true aftermarket Clarion/Pioneer/Kenwood, simply because they serve a much more limited market.

4. Aftermarket of your choice -- The 2005-09 mustang has an advantage, in that it uses a standard double-din opening for it's radio, meaning there's tons of options. Personally, I've stayed away from these because having something that looks factory, and has tactile buttons for common functions, is very important to me.

Nice write up...Thanks! I just ordered the Raxiom. It may not be as sophisticated as some units but I like the OEM look and for the price considering everything that's included...I think its a slam dunk!

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Nice write up...Thanks! I just ordered the Raxiom. It may not be as sophisticated as some units but I like the OEM look and for the price considering everything that's included...I think its a slam dunk!

Give us am impression of it once it is installed. I may just get one for the winter project.

Users who are viewing this thread