Looking for gas 7.3 feedback

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
The 7.3 has been out for a while now. Can anyone offer some insight on power, fuel economy, gearing, troubles. My 6.7 just went out of its factory warranty, so I'm curious. My current 6.7 has been great, still has the original dually tires at 60k.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The 7.3 has been out for a while now. Can anyone offer some insight on power, fuel economy, gearing, troubles. My 6.7 just went out of its factory warranty, so I'm curious. My current 6.7 has been great, still has the original dually tires at 60k.

Going from driving a 6.7L it'll feel gutless, and you'll get about 60% of the fuel mileage (given everything else is equal).

Going from driving a half-ton with either main engine, it'll feel stout.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Going from driving a 6.7L it'll feel gutless, and you'll get about 60% of the fuel mileage (given everything else is equal).

Going from driving a half-ton with either main engine, it'll feel stout.
60%? That's shocking! With my 450 full of tools I only get 12mpg now. I just don't need that truck I have full of tools now, driving it like a DD.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
60%? That's shocking! With my 450 full of tools I only get 12mpg now. I just don't need that truck I have full of tools now, driving it like a DD.

I guess I was talking unloaded.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Our F250 CC long bed w/ 4.30's pulling a 4 horse living quarters trailer never even comes close to sniffing 10 mpg at highway speeds. Thank god for a 48gal fuel tank lol.

Love the engine though. If your are used to a diesel, cover the tach and turn up the radio so you can't hear the engine, because it'll seem like it's revving to the moon!

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I may tow every once in a while, I'll just have to suck it up on the fuel cost. I miss the crew cab. I miss the long bed too. 4:30s are tall, what's your driving around mpg?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I may tow every once in a while, I'll just have to suck it up on the fuel cost. I miss the crew cab. I miss the long bed too. 4:30s are tall, what's your driving around mpg?

13-14ish with just me. 8ish loaded.

EDIT: That's highway driving.

One thing I noticed as well, is at least in my configuration, the 10spd runs considerably warmer that what I am used to. It doesn't overheat at all, just runs warmer. ~220.

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
13-14ish with just me. 8ish loaded.

One thing I noticed as well, is at least in my configuration, the 10spd runs considerably warmer that what I am used to. It doesn't overheat at all, just runs warmer. ~220.
That's not hateful, being gas is much cheaper around here. 8mpg on a tow trip probably works out the same with my 6.7 cost wise.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
That's not hateful, being gas is much cheaper around here. 8mpg on a tow trip probably works out the same with my 6.7 cost wise.

I omitted that my mpg is mostly highway. Pulling a trailer stop & go or hilly areas and you're talking mid single digits. Making up for what EV's aren't using!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Yikes, 220 for a trans is on the high side.

Most who have the 7.3 agree its the best gas offering in an HD truck out of the big 3.
Thought so too and still think it. Asked the dealer and did some interweb searching, and it seems like they just run warmer.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I omitted that my mpg is mostly highway. Pulling a trailer stop & go or hilly areas and you're talking mid single digits. Making up for what EV's aren't using!
That's some helpful info, thanks! I don't do a lot of stop and go myself. Averaging 100 miles a day. Hope someone can give insight on 4:10 performance and mpg.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
7.3 is amazing. I love it. MPG has been getting better. My commuter tanks with some city and highway are around 13.5 now. I was lucky to get over 12 for the first 10k miles or so. The engine itself is a 10/10.

10r140 has some oddities especially if you’re comparing it to a 6r. I wouldn’t mind exploring a 5Star tune.

If I had a do over I’d have probably gone 350 to get a 3.73 rear end. I tow a shit ton though. Not super heavy but lots of trailer miles. I rarely get out of 8th gear towing my 5500 ish boat with a full bed or my 6k dry camper (figure closer to 6500 loaded). 3.55 is what I have. It has a gods plenty of oomph unloaded driving and lower speed towing. Keep in mind KS speed limits are high (70-75 on most of my regular towing route). Depends on your usage which rear is best.

Worst towing mpg with the camper was 6.8 in KS wind. Best towing mpg was 10.2 with the boat with a decent tailwind for 35 miles of a 77 mile drive.

Best mpg unloaded was right after a fill up for about 40 miles. Was getting 16 after a good highway stint running around 70 mph. Happy to elaborate more.

Look up the 10r140 and rear end gear ratios and you’ll find that the 10r with a 3.73 or 3.55 tends to offset going 4.30 with the 6 speed.

Bottom line would buy again in a heartbeat!!

Last edited:

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I’d be lying if I hadn’t looked at 4.10 gear setups online haha.
That's some helpful info, thanks! I don't do a lot of stop and go myself. Averaging 100 miles a day. Hope someone can give insight on 4:10 performance and mpg.

As I sit not quite worth it. We have a trip scheduled from KS to Gulf Shores towing the camper this year and I am going to let that trip happen stock to see how the 250 does.

Users who are viewing this thread