looking for ignition suggestions (550+ RWHP)

98KBCobraVert

Not a KB anymore!
Established Member
looking for an ignition setup to handle 575rwhp. whats some opinions on it. Currently the car is breaking up at 6k. So what are some of you big power guys doing?

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
stock with tr6's cant remember the gap but i dont think i have any more left in the stock ignition than what iam making:beer:

fourvalvegt

Established Member
im using stock coils and wires with tr6s gapped at .028 with no problems at all. I would personally reccomend stock coils with frpp or msd wires and a copper plug of some sort

rubber duck

Established Member
looking for an ignition setup to handle 575rwhp. whats some opinions on it. Currently the car is breaking up at 6k. So what are some of you big power guys doing?
Had similar problems, ditched the tr6's for some tr7ix's gapped at .028 and that fixed it. I have new stock coils and frpp 9mm wires. D1SC 16 psi.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
you prob need a boost a spark, how old are your coil packs, I owuld recommend replacing them if theya re old and stick with stock coil packs from ford and new frpp wires

98KBCobraVert

Not a KB anymore!
Established Member
well the coil packs have about 32k miles on them and are the original ones.

I really don't want to do a boost a spark, so it's msd or hoping that changing the gap will work.

Thinking on getting the weapon x coil packs from Lethal. Any input on them? Anyone using them?

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I had OEM coils till I found a set of livewire coil packs for $10 on ebay..

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Pm'ed replied. The TR6's didn't do anything for my car. Stock packs, with an MSD box, and TR7's either the IX's or the regulars will do just fine. But first try the TR7's gapped at .028

richardnielsen

Established Member
I use WeaponX coils, Taylor 10.4 mm Pro Race wires, and Denso Irridium plugs (IT22 @.30). Changed to this setup after my new MSD DIS4+ system screwed up. Check for posts on the MSD issues with our cars on this and other forums. Just my .02

98KBCobraVert

Not a KB anymore!
Established Member
yeah, regapped the plugs and the break up is gone. Ordered the weaponx coil packs anyways to see if there is any gains. Car did 557/493 on 18* and 93 octane. Not sure on boost but as sooon as I get on it I'll let ya know. I'm running a 2.95 pulley and a 10% overdrive crank pulley.

diablostang

Established Member
yeah, regapped the plugs and the break up is gone. Ordered the weaponx coil packs anyways to see if there is any gains. Car did 557/493 on 18* and 93 octane. Not sure on boost but as sooon as I get on it I'll let ya know. I'm running a 2.95 pulley and a 10% overdrive crank pulley.

I hated my Weapon X coilpacks. Had to ziptie the wires to keep them on the posts and even then it was tough to keep them on. Ended up going back to OEM.

WeaponX_Perf

Established Member
I hated my Weapon X coilpacks. Had to ziptie the wires to keep them on the posts and even then it was tough to keep them on. Ended up going back to OEM.

The ignition wires are a tight fit(required for performance), if they aren't sitting properly they will pop up, if they are seated properly zipties are 200% not necessary. I've personally tried it on 2 dozen coils with no problems.

Instructions on how to easily seat the ignition wires are on our main page for those of you that are having issues.

Users who are viewing this thread