Looking for new light weight wheels

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Did you miss that word in my statement? nope. Got it. Read it several times :) I didn't say the bigger wheel tire combo would be the same, I just said with the increase in wheel diameter you can't just directly add the additional weight of the wheel. Why not?, both size tires weight 21 lbs and are the same diameter -within 2/10th inch or 1%. The 2.5 lbs difference is from wheel weight There is a SMALL reduction in tire weight that goes with it. 21 lbs is 21 lbs Rubber is less dense than aluminum but steel belts aren't. Same diameter would mean same circumference which would mead the same length/ weight of steel belt, right?

Otherwise, Agreed. Gets back to my "just big enough to clear your caliper'... or what rules dictate. Years ago I bought some 16" ROHs from a World Challenge team when rule change mandated 17" rims. They finally gave up the series because bigger wheels meant other teams were using bigger brakes. Couldn't afford to keep up.
Bigger brakes, bigger wheels, BUT if you still have standard Mustang brakes, 17's clear and can have less rotational mass which is a good thing.

Economicswise, if you have 18 rims and can get the tires used AND cheap, of course, go for it.
But if rules allow shorter, physics (and economics) sez that's the way to go.

Yeah, for some reason I was thinking about belts being in the sidewall:??: Sorry about the brain fart:burn: Last tire I cut apart I remembered the steel cable in the bead and it made me think stupid:bash:

There are arguements about 17/18 but it really depends on what you want to do, how fast you want to go and how much money you want to spend doing it. I have access to Continental scrubs so I chose to go with 18" wheels because I get the tires cheap. I'm not that worried about the performance hit of an extra 10 pounds since I'm not actually racing anyone anyways.

EDIT: And because the Continental scrubs are so much more sticky than the previous tires I've ran, I'm actually faster anyways ;)

Last edited:

03snakeminated

Established Member
I just picked up a set of Enkei RPF1's 17x9 up front and 17x9 in the rear.

I don't thing that there is another option that is this light. Most wheels are 20# or more.

If you don't want to spend the cash on the Enkei's, your best options are the wheels people have listed or you could look into the Maximum Motorsport Konig wheel. I really like the look of them and they are only about $160 each.

2010-02-15165242.jpg
nice rpf1's i'm thinkin about buying a set for the cobra, can you post some pics of them mounted on the car, thanks,

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Did you miss that word in my statement? I didn't say the bigger wheel tire combo would be the same, I just said with the increase in wheel diameter you can't just directly add the additional weight of the wheel. There is a SMALL reduction in tire weight that goes with it. Rubber is less dense than aluminum but steel belts aren't. Either way, yes the bigger wheels and tires are going to weigh more.

However, if you want to go faster you will eventually need bigger brakes unless you like fade and an 18" wheel will get you whatever it is you need. If you are planning on going faster you might as well get the bigger wheels now so that you don't have to get new wheels again in the future.

As far as the Continental tire changing. It won't be for at least 5 years probably more like 10. The new Boss 302R has been brought into the series already with the same 18" tires we currently run. Car are usually on a 5 year cycle and you can run an old cars for up to 5 years after it leaves production. Even the Challenger and Camaro that have factory 19" wheels aren't allowed anything bigger than an 18". I am guessing that is because Hoosier, err, I mean Conitnental doesn't want the expense of creating a new mold. Why would they want to go 19" anyways? They already have 15" rotors under those 18" wheels the Camaros are running:eek:
Tom, this is exactly why I want 18" rims, so I can go with bigger brakes eventually. The Enkei's have just that in a very lightweight wheel in various widths and proper backspacing. I am just having a hard time committing to the cost when I want to do other things with the car and can't afford both. On top of that I also want to buy a flatbed trailer!!! :shrug:

David Hester

Established Member
:beer:
No problem, Tom.
Sure it's all about money...or lack of it in my case.
I've always got a kick out of the bigger is better arguement, especially the big honking rims with stock drum brakes.....

Moving on.
We had a great physics professor in college, so we had all these discussions in various classes. I'll tell y'all about Dr. Ransom and the slinky in the hall one afternoon long after classes had ended some day. Great guy.

When I ran formula fords we ran 13X5.5 wheels all 4 corners, but used a cantilevered rear tire that put 10 inches on the ground
22.5 x 7.2-13 C2500 FF 5.5"rim 9.8" tread width . Whole combo weighted around 12 -14 lbs. and the cars would stop and turn on a dime.
Note even the Formula 2000's use 13x6 F and 13X8's R ...

If I could find a 10' rotor that was about 2 inches thick, that is what I would use with a 14 " rim.

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Tom, this is exactly why I want 18" rims, so I can go with bigger brakes eventually. The Enkei's have just that in a very lightweight wheel in various widths and proper backspacing. I am just having a hard time committing to the cost when I want to do other things with the car and can't afford both. On top of that I also want to buy a flatbed trailer!!! :shrug:

Look around for cheap (i.e. used and beat up) 18" wheels to run for now that will allow you to run the cheap scrubs and save money there.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-gunmetal-saleens-letting-these-go-cheap.html
Get the other stuff done to the car, then worry about getting the lighter wheels for better performance when you have some more money and use the cheap wheels to mount rains on.

JMO:beer:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
:beer:
No problem, Tom.
Sure it's all about money...or lack of it in my case.
I've always got a kick out of the bigger is better arguement, especially the big honking rims with stock drum brakes.....

Moving on.
We had a great physics professor in college, so we had all these discussions in various classes. I'll tell y'all about Dr. Ransom and the slinky in the hall one afternoon long after classes had ended some day. Great guy.

When I ran formula fords we ran 13X5.5 wheels all 4 corners, but used a cantilevered rear tire that put 10 inches on the ground
22.5 x 7.2-13 C2500 FF 5.5"rim 9.8" tread width . Whole combo weighted around 12 -14 lbs. and the cars would stop and turn on a dime.
Note even the Formula 2000's use 13x6 F and 13X8's R ...

If I could find a 10' rotor that was about 2 inches thick, that is what I would use with a 14 " rim.

You could always find a way to run offset rotors outside of the wheel like some of the circle track guys do and then run really small wheels and tires:p You may need two calipers to get the surface pressure needed to make up for the reduction in torque from the smaller diameter rotor though:lol:

03snakeminated

Established Member
Yes. The real 95 Rs are decently light but super strong. I have already bent an expensive light wheel on the Cobra... I'm over it. I have 95Rs on the new track car.

Discount tire has MB Weapon and MB Competition wheels in 17X9 Cobra friendly offsets. Both these wheels are in the low 20# range (Competition is the lighter of the two) and run $140-$150 each.

hmmm, just found this MB Wheels - Competition so the weight is 28lbs, kinda sucks since i wanted to buy a set but at that weight i'll stick w/ stock 03 satins

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
hmmm, just found this MB Wheels - Competition so the weight is 28lbs, kinda sucks since i wanted to buy a set but at that weight i'll stick w/ stock 03 satins

I cant quote other sources now, but that is much more than I remember them weighing. I don't even see how they can weight that much honestly.

I have a friend with 18 in MB weapons, and they are a heavier design than the competitions and even those were lighter than 28 lbs.

03snakeminated

Established Member
just bought some 17x8's 17x9's mb competitions from a local guy and yeah them f...ers are light, now I gotta do my H/W to see what tires to wrap on the 17x8's, [too bad the 275/40's won't work] oh well...

Last edited:

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
I just picked up a set of Enkei RPF1's 17x9 up front and 17x9 in the rear.

I don't thing that there is another option that is this light. Most wheels are 20# or more.

If you don't want to spend the cash on the Enkei's, your best options are the wheels people have listed or you could look into the Maximum Motorsport Konig wheel. I really like the look of them and they are only about $160 each.

2010-02-15165242.jpg

What size brakes are those in the picture?

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
ha...was looking at this thread yesterday......

Now I don't have to bump an old thread.

Along with Mobil1Mach's question, what's the suggested backspacing??

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
If you can find a set of old Steeda Ultralites they are only 21lbs at 18x9's. I lucked out and got a set from a guy in Michigan. If I retire the Slobra and buy a Z06 next spring I may sell them with Hoosier Continental Challenge slicks on them for around $800.

Users who are viewing this thread