Looking for some good advice about getting a SVTF

Joes 2003 SVT

Established Member
A week ago or so I found a great deal on Craigslist for a 02 SVTF. With just 76K on the clock, a few paint scratches on the front and rear bumper the car looked to be in immaculate condition. The interior was clean and the engine was clean also. It was bone stock and was maintained mechanically. The guy was asking 4500 bucks which I felt was very fair for the excellent condition of this car. I told him I would be back in about 5 days to come pick up his car and to give him his money. Wouldn't you know with my luck I texted him the night before I was going to pick it up he texted me back telling me that someone else already threw some money down on the car and that he was holding it for him. I felt terrible thinking that I should have done the same thing. :cryying::cryying:

A day or two later I was online and I seen a 03 SVTF EAP up in New York for sale at a private dealer. He was asking 4900 bucks and had only 70K on it.

http://www.automotiveadbuilder.com/Vehicle/2003-ford-focus-svt-listing-3351.aspx

I called the dealer up and we talked for about a half hour over the phone. He was telling me everything about the car on how it was a one owner vehicle, he also sent me the Carfax on it also. The car came out clean. I asked him if he would take 4500 for it and he said most definitely. So the next morning I sent him 4500 plus 850 bucks for shipping the car down to me. I called him up yesterday and asked him if he got it shipped yet and he told me that while he was giving the car a fresh oil change his mechanics noticed the car is very hard to get into each and every gear. He tells me the car is driveable but it is just hard to get into gear. He said he thinks it is the master slave cylinder and or clutch.

He then gave me some options, he could wire me back 100% of my money or he could cover the cost of shipping of the car and send me back the 850 bucks for shipping. Seeing that this car is in NY city it is very cold up there now. Could it be the cold weather causing it to shift hard like this? I'm hoping its the weather up there in NY causing this because when it gets to FL hopefully it will shift better in the warmer climate here in FL.

Also late yesterday I got a call from the guy that lives north of me that had the 02 SVTF, I didn't pick up his call thinking that I was still getting this 03. I'm thinking that maybe the previous buyer must have backed out of the deal and he was calling me to ask me if I was still interested.

So my question is what should I do, should I call the guy up in NY to send me back my money and go for the 02 or should I take the chance on the 03?

Last edited:

Seth

Established Member
I really don't know what could be causing the problem. But if the dealer is willing to ship the car for free then that is pretty nice and would save you a good bit of money. Money that you could put towards fixing the car, if there is a real issue with it. Personally, I would definitely wait around for a little while to get a EAP over a regular SVT. Especially if this EAP has lower miles and is the same price. From the list of car is that you have owned in your signature I would say that you don't mind working on the vehicles yourself. So for $850 that you would save on shipping that would be very nice to help replace the clutch, if it comes to that.

Joes 2003 SVT

Established Member
I called the dealer up yesterday and asked for my money back. Thankfully he wired the money back to me. I was thinking what if it was the transmission that was shot or something else with it. With that car being in NY I was kinda scared about if the car had any rust underneath the carriage. Thankfully though the guy that has the 02 called me back a few days ago and told me he still has his car for sale and that the guy who was going to come buy it never showed up.

Needless to say I am going to go pick up his car today. It is a solid 10 and not one thing wrong with it. I definitely made the right choice.

MCPunk79

Established Member
New Focus!??

I called the dealer up yesterday and asked for my money back. Thankfully he wired the money back to me. I was thinking what if it was the transmission that was shot or something else with it. With that car being in NY I was kinda scared about if the car had any rust underneath the carriage. Thankfully though the guy that has the 02 called me back a few days ago and told me he still has his car for sale and that the guy who was going to come buy it never showed up.

Needless to say I am going to go pick up his car today. It is a solid 10 and not one thing wrong with it. I definitely made the right choice.

Glad to hear you picked up the car you wanted… post up some pics if you can, so we can all revel in the beauty that is the SVT Focus!

SVTFocus Noob

Established Member
Hey so after my 02 SVT focus sat for 3 years while rebuilding the engine for more boost/away for boot camp and MCT. had same problem while driving it again for first time in 3 years. Got some grease on the shifter in the cab, and on the shift tower on top of back side of the old getrag. Made it better but not great. Then sprayed it down crazy with WD-40, thing shifts like butter again!! Not saying this will fix it but food for thought!!!

Jake

Users who are viewing this thread