Looking for suggestions: Turbo Kit for a 93LX

Neverlift

scotchy scotch scotch
Established Member
Hey All,

Im thinking of going the turbo route with my 93 coupe, and was hoping I could get some input from some of the experienced turbo guys here and maybe even a vendor or 2..

What I got:

My car is a 1993 5.0LX coupe. Its a 5spd car with the stock t-5 in it.
The short block is stock with the 93 hypereutectic pistons. Its also got iron world products 2.02/1.6 heads, an E-303 cam, and gt-40 intake. 4:10 gears, but I would swap those out for 3:27s.

Goals:

The car is and will remain primarily street driven. It may see a dragstrip pass, but its more likely to see some on-ramp passes. I'm looking to make 450 - 500 HP to the ground. Looking to make it on 93 octane pump gas at/around 10lbs of boost. I'd like the setup to realize full boost by 3200 rpm.
I'd also like the setup to have the potential to support 650+ HP should I (read: when I) upgrade the shortblock.

Thoughts:

After a good deal of internet based research, the Hellion 89-93 kit looks best matched to my goals. They use stainless for the hot parts(plus), they use Turbonetics turbos(plus), and have kits in stock(big plus).

Judging by the hellion provided dyno chart, the kit should get me right where I want to be, but I do have some concerns:

-The kit comes with 255lph in-tank fuel pump. How much power will that pump support, and is it a better descision not to install that pump and go with an inline pump (weldon 2525) instead?

-The 24x6x3 intercooler should be fine at 10lbs of boost, but if I go after 600hp will that intercooler suffice?

-Will the 62-1 be fully spooled by 3200 R's? Will a ball bearing upgrade keep spool-up in the range i'm looking for?

I suppose these are great questions for John at Hellion, but I know that if I called over there I would probably buy. I still have some christmas bills to chew through before I can take this one on..

Thanks folks, for any info and experience you can share!

Bullitt66

Adiccted SVT Poster
Established Member
for what i HAVE READ :) use the inline pump WITH the 255lph, just to be safe..

and the intercooler efficiency at 600hp++ will suffer, but you'll only need like 500 boosted hp to break a stock block, so don't worry about the one that comes with the kit for now, because if you buy a bigger intercooler, you'll have more lag, and that's not what you want until you upgrade the shortblock.....
hope i helped a little..:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Newt-Rod

Established Member
what about something like this? I built this for a customer and should make plenty of power the turbo is rated at 650 maxed out.

turbokit001.jpg

turbokit003.jpg

Neverlift

scotchy scotch scotch
Established Member
Newt-Rod said:
what about something like this? I built this for a customer and should make plenty of power the turbo is rated at 650 maxed out.

Can you post or PM the details regarding that kit?

Users who are viewing this thread