Looking into sports sedans...335i, G8...?

black5.0

Established Member
So I figured this day would come, but I got married in June and I need a bigger more practical car and come to SVTP for help. I'm looking at sedans for under $25k that have some oomph stock and possibly be modified. Not looking at anything over 50k miles either, so that limits the search. Prefer something with some good power stock, rwd preferred, and nice features, leather interior is a must.

So far the ones I've looked at online and are interested in are:

Pontiac G8 (v8, LS2 engine so it can be modified somewhat)

BMW335i

Hyundai Genesis 4.6

Infiniti G37s

Dodge Charger R/T

Ford Taurus SHO (there are very few under 25k unless they have high milage)

Subaru WRS (2009+)

This is most of the list of cars I've thought of to look at, did I miss any? Thoughts on any of the above? I say modifiable because I have the disease, nothing I have seems to stay stock for very long....

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I like my 04 M3 so far. My sister in laws dad bought a 08 335i and he loved it. It never gave him any issues.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Love my 335i and have had no issues soo far. Also gives me great MPG even modified for what it is. Under 25k for under 50k miles MIGHT be a bit of a stretch depending on the year you are looking for.

Out of that list, not trying to sound biased, but the 335i is the better one all around. Its a luxury sports car (best of both worlds), gets good MPG (possibly the best from all those), cheap to mod with great results (made almost 430hp at the crank from a simple piggyback tune), handles and brakes like a charm (possibly beats all of them), VERY smooth and comfortable.

G37s is also another great car.

Last edited:

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
So I figured this day would come, but I got married in June and I need a bigger more practical car and come to SVTP for help. I'm looking at sedans for under $25k that have some oomph stock and possibly be modified. Not looking at anything over 50k miles either, so that limits the search. Prefer something with some good power stock, rwd preferred, and nice features, leather interior is a must.

So far the ones I've looked at online and are interested in are:

Pontiac G8 (v8, LS2 engine so it can be modified somewhat)

BMW335i

Hyundai Genesis 4.6

Infiniti G37s

Dodge Charger R/T

Ford Taurus SHO (there are very few under 25k unless they have high milage)

Subaru WRS (2009+)

This is most of the list of cars I've thought of to look at, did I miss any? Thoughts on any of the above? I say modifiable because I have the disease, nothing I have seems to stay stock for very long....

07/08 srt8

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
Subbing to this thread.

My concern about the BMW would be the reliability although the more people I talk to who actually own them, the less I hear that they are having problems.

Look at 550I - beautiful car and apparently pretty reliable. Not sure what happens to them once they pass a certain milleage though but people who own them seem to be happy

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Love my 335i and have had no issues soo far. Also gives me great MPG even modified for what it is. Under 25k for under 50k miles MIGHT be a bit of a stretch depending on the year you are looking for.

Out of that list, not trying to sound biased, but the 335i is the better one all around. Its a luxury sports car (best of both worlds), gets good MPG (possibly the best from all those), cheap to mod with great results (made almost 430hp at the crank from a simple piggyback tune), handles and brakes like a charm (possibly beats all of them), VERY smooth and comfortable.

G37s is also another great car.
I love the way my M3 handles, rides, and brakes. The steering is very tight and responsive, the ride is amazing, and the brakes well lets just say, I came very close to hitting someone that ran a red light the other day. I stopped it from 50 mph and I still had a good 3-4 feet before I hit them.
Subbing to this thread.

My concern about the BMW would be the reliability although the more people I talk to who actually own them, the less I hear that they are having problems.

Look at 550I - beautiful car and apparently pretty reliable. Not sure what happens to them once they pass a certain milleage though but people who own them seem to be happy

I was the exact same way, but all you have to do to make them last is do the maintenance. The motors last forever. I would suggest googling it like I did, and just read up on them.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i personally like the looks of the g8/gxps i've seen a few that i was like damn son. no experience with them though, hell they could be turds, but they do have great look to them.

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
Under 25k for under 50k miles MIGHT be a bit of a stretch depending on the year you are looking for.

Depends on the area of the country, options desired, CPO or not, etc...

The 335 is a great car, even if somewhat unreliable. Lack of LSD plus the most intrusive stability/traction control systems I've ever encountered was a maddening experience though. Seriously, $50k for a "sport" sedan and no goddamn LSD????

If you go 335, make sure to get ZSP (sport package) and if you want real leather, you'll need either the ZPP (premium package) or I think it's also possible to have had it ordered a la carte.... But IMHO BMW didn't do leather very well in the E9X compared to other leather offerings from competitors, but they do the fake leather (leatherette) well compared to competitors.... I felt like my seats were wrapped in rhino hide.

Another thing to look out for would be to ensure it has an oil cooler. I can't remember what years/packages first came out without them (I think auto sedans in '07 w/o ZSP???), but they do exist. When pushed hard, that oil cooler is very much needed.

jbenevides89

Established Member
one of my friends has a 335i but its a 2dr, things pretty quick, nice inside and out, i like the look of them too. just expensive to work on. the dealer wants like 130 bucks just for an oil change. it does hold a ungodly amount though and lasts forever.

BlownAway05

Established Member
335 or G8 GT

Third would be G37.

335 with a tune alone will get you a nice bump (brother has a 335i, his is fully modded but he just sprang for the single turbo upgrade, its getting installed this week)

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
335 for under 25k is going to be rough. nice cars but you want one certified and in good condition.

my vote would be the G8 GT. sub $25k with low miles, modifiable, big, roomy, decent mpg on the highway, quick, nearly 50/50 weight distro, etc...

mine was great to me.

mayg85.jpg

mayg8.jpg

frntleft.jpg

Last edited:

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
I just picked up a G37S coupe...I know it's not a sedan, but still fairly similar. I love the thing so far...and it moves. Nissan's VQ motor is no slouch for a V6.

Users who are viewing this thread