Looking to buy a new bike (need help)

85sTaNg

4eyeFreaK
Established Member
Well I was considering commuting to school next semester in order to save some huge bucks from room and board. In order to make this practical though, I would need a new vehicle that gets good gas milage since the stang is pretty thirsty. I was considering buying a bike since they are cheap and get awesome milage.

I haven't riden on bikes only but a few times so I am not experienced. I need your help chosing a good bike. I want something that looks sweet and sounds sick (and of course is reliable).

I was looking at this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...001QQitemZ110164346622QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

What would you recommend? (Pics would help since I am not too familiar with every model) Thanks.

Last edited:

KbCobra795

Banned
Looks like a nice clean bike. I have a 05 R6 thats very comfortable on long trips. I used to ride from Pittsburgh PA to Hagerstown MD every weekend, down and back in the same day. Just be careful and always wear full protection riding gear, theres lots of idiots out there that don't pay any attention to bikes.

Common

Established Member
Good bike to start with, respect it and you will be fine. DO NOT think that just because its a 600 its "Slow".

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
i have a 07 szuki 600 gsxr & i love the hell out of it. it's my 1st bike too. great on gas. out of the 5 day work schedule i waist $12 on gas a week. I ALSO LIKE THAT ALL THE SIGNAL LIGHT ARE INTEGRADED INTO THE BIKE & NOT STICKING OUT OF THE BODY LOOKING ALL GOOFY.

Last edited:

DirtyD916

SVT Based God
Established Member
a 600rr is a horrible bike to start on. People think that just because they ride slow they are in the clear but the truth still remains that the hundreds of muscles in your wrist that are needed to have steady throttle control through turns just doesnt exist yet on new riders. Thats one hell of a bike to figure that out in.. .

blacksrt

Established Member
If you aren't in the upper rpms all the time a 600cc isn't that much of a bike to handle. I started on a 750, then bought a 636, and now have a 1000. I must say that when I first opened that 750 up for the first time I was almost overwhelmed at how fast it felt. Now after riding a 1000cc bike for over a year, I find myself asking the question, "where is the power?" when I ride anything under 1000ccs.

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
HERE'S A QUICK VIDEO OF MY BIKE & MY NEW JARDINE PIPE.
EVEN THOUGH THESE BIKES ARE 600'S THEY ARE STILL DANGEROUS FOR A FIRST BIKE. THEY ARE ALSO VERY QUICK. I RAN A 11.3 LAST WEEK . TAT WAS MY 1ST TIME @ THE TRACK WITH MY BIKE. I'VE BEEN RIDING IT FOR ALMOST 1 YEAR NOW. FUN AS HELL THOUGH WHEN YOU RIDE WITH A BUNCH OF FRIENDS. BE SAFE OUT THEIR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIPyGKQKN5c

Last edited:

hoot03

Established Member
a 600rr is not a beginner bike. Why don't you go over to some bike forums like gsxr.com and read some of the stickies on there about people wanting a supersport 600 for a first bike. I'm not telling you what to do but look into an sv650 or a kawi 650R. Those bikes are much more forgiving in the event of a rider mistake. They are much easier to recover on and they are by no means slow. Just think about it, would you get a low 11 high 10 second car as your first ride? Whatever you decide ride like you're invisible to everyone else on the road cause most of the time you are.

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
hoot03 said:
Whatever you decide ride like you're invisible to everyone else on the road cause most of the time you are.
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT. MY 1ST MONTH RIDING I WAS RAN OF THE ROAD TWICE BUT LUCKLY HALF WAY COMING OVER MY LANE THEY SAW ME. NOW WITH MY NEW LOUD ASS PIPE, THEY CAN HEAR ME FROM A BLOCK AWAY.:rockon:

hoot03

Established Member
CHUXSVT said:
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT. MY 1ST MONTH RIDING I WAS RAN OF THE ROAD TWICE BUT LUCKLY HALF WAY COMING OVER MY LANE THEY SAW ME. NOW WITH MY NEW LOUD ASS PIPE, THEY CAN HEAR ME FROM A BLOCK AWAY.:rockon:
I have an 07 gixxer 600 with a two bros pipe on it and it's the loudest exhaust I've ever heard. A T/A tried racing me but when I down shifted on his drivers side door he rolled his window up and got away from me. It was really funny.

fatboy01

Gonzo
Established Member
Hrm, two questions.

You want to save money, and you think spending $5,000 on a bike, plus at least $1000/yr in insurance, plus gear and maintenance is the way to go? Put that money in your cars tank and you get: $6grand = about 41,500 miles at 18mpg with gas at 2.60/gal. Buy a bike is certainly not an economical decision

Also, a 600rr can be a handful for a firsttimer. Although it's not a terrible choice as long as you are coordinated and somewhat responsible. But if a bike is what you want, I'd say pick up something cheaper, and older. I'd check these bikes out before you pick up a newer bike.

Honda CBR F2 or an F3
Yamaha yzf600
sv650
ninja250 or 500
suzuki gs500

Just shop around, call some companies and get insurance quotes for a few different bikes, the new sportbikes have very high insurance rates, especially for new riders. I'd bet that 600rr will be close to 2grand a year for you.

I used to think buying a bike would save me money, but I have spent way more money on it then has gone into my car. But they are fun :thumbsup:

OneFastSnake

Established Member
I had that same bike well an 06 but still the same. They handle very well and you only feel the power in the upper rpms. I switched over to an 07 R1 and never looked back

85sTaNg

4eyeFreaK
Established Member
Well thanks your input Fatboy (and everyone else). I really don't wanna get something too difficult to drive and something thats unforgiving cause I know I'm gonna make mistakes. It's ok if the bike isn't that fast cause I never plan on racing it becuase quite honestly I just wouldn't feel safe on two wheels. But I do want something that looks and sounds sweet so I'm gonna check out those other bikes you mentioned.

And about the money thing. Room and board is about $10,000 per year and I have 3 yrs left. My '85 only gets about 12 mpg :-D . Plus the stang isn't something I'd wanna put all them miles on. So if I got a bike it would be cheaper in the long run and would have some fun.

blacksrt

Established Member
don't get a 250 because the damn thing will get blown all over the road. If you aren't looking to race the bike, I would opt to get something like a Yamaha FZ6. The bike traps around 119 and is much more comfortable for commuting.

Users who are viewing this thread