Looking to buy an 04' KB Cobra with a Heat Exchanger issue

Hawwk11

Established Member
Hey guys,

So I have my eye on a 2004 cobra with a 2.2 KB and supporting mods. The only problem at this point is that the seller just realized that the H/E reservoir was empty. He says that the car kinda stumbled a bit the other day and that's when he noticed the empty tank. He tells me that the car doesn't over heat or anything but this is definitely an issue.

Now he says he has taken the car to a ford dealer and they told mim the blower would need to be removed to see exactly whats going on. I just got off the phone with my mechanic who has told me there could be anything from a bad hose, O-ring etc,.

The owner of the car says he as just been running the car with no fluid in the exchanger to prevent coolant from mixing with the engine oil which could possibly hydrolock and ruin the engine completely.

Just wondering if worst case would the repair on this issue be too costly?

Thanks

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
It is pretty easy to do yourself with the help of a buddy to lift the blower off, there is a good write up in the how to section on removing the eaton for porting. Worst case scenario is that the intercooler is cracked and are very expensive new, although you can sometimes find good used ones.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Most likely a bad o-ring on the water outlet to charge air cooler or the charge air cooler itself. This is of course if there are no external leaks.

Not too bad of a fix either way but negotiations should always be made with the worst in mind. Say $600 in parts and $600 in labor to be on the liberal side of the table.

SV

Users who are viewing this thread