Looking to buy

Hatchman

Established Member
Hello, this is my first post. I am looking to purchase a Lightning. My last truck, an 04 Titan was totalled by a drunk driver last week, so I'm in need of a new truck. I liked the Titan, but want something faster and the Lightning certainly fits the bill.

I was hoping you all could help with some suggestions. I have found an 04 L, with only 16K miles on it for 26K. It looks in decent shape, still has the stock tires, has a Magnaflow exhaust and hard bed cover, and aftermarket rims. Does that sound like a good deal? Looks like that's about 4K under book value, so it sounds good to me. The truck belonged to a smoker, and it needs some new tires, and has a couple of small detns in it, but over all, I think it's solid, has a clean carfax. What do ya'll think?

Anything I should look for in particular when buying a Lightning? Any recalls or known problems? Any year better than the others?

Thanks in advance, I may be buying tomorrow, so I'll let you all know.

DSG03LTNG

618 [email protected] PSI
Established Member
Try and stick with an 03/04 year model... They have the heads with 8 spark plug threads, instead of 4 or so, like earlier models that like to spit plugs, and you dont have to worry about the intercooler recall! As far as 26K for an 04 with 16,000 miles, I dont think that is to bad at all. Is this at a dealer?? Dealers may be more expensive to go through now, since there are no more "new" Lightnings, thay are raising the price on all the used one's, cause they know they will sell either way. Let us know what you decide!!! :beer:

Hatchman

Established Member
The only after market stuff I can see is it has after market rims, but not familiar with the name, but those were atleast 800. And hard bed cover, looks like a Leer, tinted windows (needs strip across top of windshield), Magnaflow exhaust, front grills, and that's about all I could see.

The dents are pretty small, one in the front bumper, on on the tailgate. Look actually like paint scratches with slight identations. Can't even see them from more than 5 feet.

It has 16,000 miles on it, so I assume the Ford warranty is still good for another 20,000 miles.

It's the lowest mileage one I have found. It is at a dealer. They were asking 30, but I got 'em down to 25,888, which is just about trade in value listed for it. Most dealers around here are asking 30 for used L's, no matter what year and mileage they are.

Plus, my truck is totalled, so unfortunately, I'm on the "needy" side, as opposed to take my time and find a great deal. But so far, this one seems pretty good to me.

Thanks for all your help and input!

Last edited:

Hatchman

Established Member
Picked it up tonight, 25,888 plust tax/tag/title. Need some new tires for sure, lots of vibration out of the stockers. Is that normal? Rear tires are about bald, but I guess for stock tires on an L with 16000, that ain't bad.

Was thinking of the Nitto 555's. Any experience?

Hatchman

Established Member
RidnRodsLightng said:
be careful with the bald tires...they'll send you for a loop!

Thanks for the tip. The salesman kept warning me of that as well. And it was the sales manager's driver for two weeks, and he said he wouldn't even ride it in the rain. I'm getting some really soon, like, today. :)

Any other tire recommendations? Leaning toward the Nitto's for sure.

203Cree

Established Member
You don't have it in yours? :p

ezernut9mm said:
what the hell is the "double sun visor set up"?

It's just two sunvisors Chris. The main big one and a smaller one behind it, so you can block sun from the side window and windsheild at the same time.

Hatchman

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the help!

I just ordered a set of Nitto 555's from Discount Tire. The F1's are giving a bit of vibration and are about bald. I'm hoping the new tire's smooth out the vibration I'm feeling at 60 mph.

Looking around the forum, looks like I need to get an oil seperator next. At 16,000 miles, do you think I need to take apart and clean the intercooler, or should it be OK?
Where's the best place to get it at?

Next will be the 4X4 pan, shift kit, and F250 tranny cooler. I do some towing, so just want to protect the transmission.

Another tips, hints, must do's? Thanks again, love this forum and the truck!

Users who are viewing this thread