Looking to put cams in... Need opinons...

Tequila612

Established Member
Ok I am looking to throw some cams in my 1997 and my question is...

How streetable of a cam would you say this is for a every day driver?

Left Intake:

Cam Timing .050
Opens 10 BTDC
Closes 45 ABDC
Centerline 107.5
Duration 235
Valve lift .472

Left Exhaust:

Cam Timing .050
Opens 40 BBDC
Closes 5 ATDC
Centerline 107.5
Duration 235
Valve lift .452

Right Intake:

Cam Timing .050
Opens 10 BTDC
Closes 45 ABDC
Centerline 107.5
Duration 235
Valve lift .472

Right Exhaust:

Cam Timing .050
Opens 40 BBDC
Closes 5 ATDC
Centerline 107.5
Duration 235
Valve lift .452

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
That's a pretty tight centerline and a good bit of duration. It should lope pretty well at idle and give decent lowend power also. That isn't too bad on the lift. Did they suggest a spring swap when quoting cam specs? I would say that it is a wise idea to add the Comp springs with those cams. How streetable will depend on how well the person tuning the car does their job. I think it should be fine for the street. Just get a good tuner to tweak the EEC ;-) :beer:

Tequila612

Established Member
Originally posted by StangsN4x4S
get cutouts and post sound clips

Well I have BBK Long Tubes, bbk O/R H pipe, and flows...

I am going to be adding 3" dumps/turn downs (whichever you call them) soon, so I will post clips up if I end up doing this.

Tequila612

Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
That's a pretty tight centerline and a good bit of duration. It should lope pretty well at idle and give decent lowend power also. That isn't too bad on the lift. Did they suggest a spring swap when quoting cam specs? I would say that it is a wise idea to add the Comp springs with those cams. How streetable will depend on how well the person tuning the car does their job. I think it should be fine for the street. Just get a good tuner to tweak the EEC ;-) :beer:
`

Actually, these are the SHM Stage II cams here.

I was just looking around and I knew the stage I cams weren't that much of a step over stock, so I decided I would do Stage II if anything.

Do you know anyone else who offeres a better grind than these?

5.4 speedster

Banned
Go with the fr-500 cams. They will serve your purpose. Have you thought about porting the heads out at the same time??? My friend has the fr500 setup on his 98. That shit revs high as hell man. He has the manifold and the heads though but I would still see the cams working out well for you.

Ford Racing DOHC High Lift Camshaft Kit
Ford Racing DOHC production style valvetrain kit for "FR500" Heads
$1400.00

Cam and Valvetrain kit. Kit contains 4 camshafts valves, high lift valve springs and hardware. For use with FR500 4-valve heads, but will also work with all production 1996-2003 4-valve heads. Excellent power through 7,000rpm
© 2002 STEEDA AUTOSPORTS INC. All Rights Reserved. 1351 NW Steeda Way Pompano Beach, Florida 33069

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I follow what you're saying about the SHM stage 2 part. It is a bit of a tight centerline though. Stock centerline is like a 113. It will be a great cam for NA applications. The tuning is what will keep it streetable.

I'd give Scott @ VT engines a call. I'm sure they'll have a different grind for the DOHC. COmp Cams may have some DOHC cams ready, but none are listed on their site. You should give them a call also just to compare grinds and prices. You can compare the lifts & durations and see what the power ranges are, then see which one suits your needs. All of these places are making good cams, it will just depend on which one suits you best. :beer:

duane v

Established Member
Crower cams work well, I have a proprietary Stage 3 Crower cam that rumble big time and make power to 7200 rpm..but you give up some torque due the duration...DA snake boy!!!

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
I've been looking at the FR500 kit, but I'm curious - is it necessary to use all the hardware they provide (valves, etc) to run those cams? I'm not keen on pulling the engine to mess with the heads just yet. Could you use the cams with just a stronger spring?

duane v

Established Member
Originally posted by Wylde Horses
I've been looking at the FR500 kit, but I'm curious - is it necessary to use all the hardware they provide (valves, etc) to run those cams? I'm not keen on pulling the engine to mess with the heads just yet. Could you use the cams with just a stronger spring?
Why would you want to put a smog legal cam on untouched heads??? Seem like a waste of time to me. If you can get around the smog issue, go with a cam that will give you the max street performance...DA snake boy!!!

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Originally posted by duane v
Why would you want to put a smog legal cam on untouched heads??? Seem like a waste of time to me. If you can get around the smog issue, go with a cam that will give you the max street performance...DA snake boy!!!

Smog testing is an issue, sorta (going to try working around it with removable heavy-duty super enviro-friendly cats), but if I can get around it, what cams would you recommend, and what sort of performance do they deliver? I would be willing to loose up to 10 hp/tq down low if the top end gains were enough (the 4.56's should compensate some for that). Also, I'd prefer something that peaks around the same spot as the stock cam, I don't want to have to rev an otherwise unbuild engine well over 7k to see the gains.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread