Looking to upgrade suspension, what do you recommend?

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Hey everyone. My car is put away for the winter and I'm looking to order some parts to install over the downtime. Basically I'm looking at the FRPP suspension kit, upper and lower control arms, and possibly a one-piece driveshaft. I know there are a bunch of manufacturers who make these products like BMR, Steeda, Evolution, etc. Just wondering which parts you guys have and who you would recommend :beer:

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
FRPP suspension kit, I have it and I love it. It's a great balance of ride quality and performance and its not to low.

cbrmuscle

Established Member
FRPP suspension kit, I have it and I love it. It's a great balance of ride quality and performance and its not to low.

Yeah I'm definately picking this kit up. Seems to be the best bang for your buck and everyone who has it seems to think it's great. I've heard adding an adj. panhard bar is the only thing to add to this particular setup.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
I had ford price match it for me, I found it on blueovalindustries.com for like $1550 before shipping and I showed it to the dealer and they price matched it for me and the only charged me like $500 for the install and alignment.

cbrmuscle

Established Member
That's not bad at all. Unfortunately I can't price match here in Canada so I'm stuck paying the US price, shipping the package here, and then paying for the install. Luckily I know the owner of a local dealer so I can get really cheap labor rates.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
FRPP Suspension Kit (Springs, Shocks/Struts, Swaybars)

Steeda Lower Control Arms

FRPP Short Shifter

New Driveshaft (I'm running a DSS one with no complaints)

Maximum Motorsports C/C Plates and PANHARD BAR (this will take a lot of the sloppiness out of the rear)

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member

So do you like the shocks/struts in the kit? Are they any different from reg 05-up D-specs? Other than the color of course. MD03VT runs 10.4s on them (stock blower) so Id say they work as a great (cheap) drag shock too.

If you drag race (do a burnout) you will have to replace the upper control arm or you will get some really freakesh air chisel on metal wheel hop noises:poke: with just aftermarket lower control arms. Tried to deal with it but just replaced with the Steeda upper piece and have never had any more wheelhop. Does transmit more noise into the car (gear whine) so a little give and take. :smmon:

chuckstang

Established Member
FRPP Hadling kit
Roush Adjustable panhard
Roush UCA
Roush LCAs

Start with that, no extra noises, no change in driveability, no wheel hop

Do not over mod if you dont have to

For a DS use the one they use on the SS, Evo sells it and I have head zero complaints

chuckstang

Established Member

Steeda Lower Control Arms

FRPP Short Shifter

New Driveshaft (I'm running a DSS one with no complaints)

Maximum Motorsports C/C Plates and PANHARD BAR (this will take a lot of the sloppiness out of the rear)

How do you like the CC plates? Im not completely sold on the Steeda strut mounts for the price. The stock mounts are heavy duty already, I did not know that when I got mine. I think the GT Mustangs have the popping noise, not GT500 owners? I know GT500 owners have popping but not from the struts as far as I know

Captain Beyond

Established Member

+1 :coolman:

All GT500s should've come with this suspension from the factory.

TexasShelby

Established Member
You hard top guys have it easy.... there's only two vendors for vert springs...I went with Steeda and once again I was not let down... perfect...

I did the BMR LCAs and panhard.

JLT CAI and Evo Tune is the bomb

The FRPP KR shifter really is a great mod as well.

chuckstang

Established Member
I have a watts, but I really want a drive in a full suspension set up like mine except with an adj panhard.

I am not sold on the whole watts thing

Any takers in the ma area? Im actually considering swapping for a Roush adj panhard, it has no bushings, so no bind, no movement, no slop!

A watts with bushings defeats the purpose IMO because now you have added more bushings! stock panhard has 2, with a watts like mine, now you have 4

Also no adjustability with a watts and not all rears are centered to begin with and a watts can not fix that

just food for thought

KeltonB

Established Member
Hey guys,

I am really interested in the FRPP set up. I am not going to be doing any road racing or anything that requires serious corner carving, just want something a bit better than stock and I'd like to drop the rear a bit while I'm at it.

One question, if I get the standard FRPP kit (like this one: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9924) will I need anything else? I want to do this kit and be done. I've read that most suspension upgrades require a new panhard and want to see if that is the case here.

Thanks!

Kelton

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Hey guys,

I am really interested in the FRPP set up. I am not going to be doing any road racing or anything that requires serious corner carving, just want something a bit better than stock and I'd like to drop the rear a bit while I'm at it.

One question, if I get the standard FRPP kit (like this one: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=9924) will I need anything else? I want to do this kit and be done. I've read that most suspension upgrades require a new panhard and want to see if that is the case here.

Thanks!

Kelton

You don't have to get a new panhard with that set up. But most people do for that little extra something. :D

chuckstang

Established Member
Well, your rear will be off but if that does not bother you than no you dont need one, but it will make a huge difference in performance and they are cheap!

cbrmuscle

Established Member
I think this is what I'll be going for:

FRPP Hadling kit
Roush Adjustable panhard
Roush UCA
Roush LCAs

Thanks for all the input!

Slabo

Established Member
You hard top guys have it easy.... there's only two vendors for vert springs...I went with Steeda and once again I was not let down... perfect...

I did the BMR LCAs and panhard.

JLT CAI and Evo Tune is the bomb

The FRPP KR shifter really is a great mod as well.

Hey TexasShelby, I have heard about the Steeda springs for us vert owners but what was the other option?

Users who are viewing this thread