Looks like it is a GO for Afghanistan

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Don't get blowed up and I may see you in a couple years. Looks like I am off to Fort Bragg next to run the Special Ops Schoolhouse. Oh the fun and joy of making tough guys cry!

Hahahahahahah. That would be fun. Making guys cry here on SVTP is too easy. Would be awesome to buy you a beer

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Good luck man, seems like you have gotten some good info here. If you need anything feel free to message your SVTP family for anything!

truefiveo

Established Member
well still not 100% sure but I passed my stress test and the results of all my medical shit is now in the hands of CENTCOM for the waivers. I only need two and the chick handling the paperwork says I should be good.

So with that being said couple of questions regarding AFGHANISTAN. I do NOT know specifically where I will be going.

what is the internet like? I know it will vary with company, sat company they use and such but do they have anything like the tigressnet in Iraq? speedy enough for email and surfing? what about gaming?

For the civilian contractors what are they issuing in CRC now? when I went to Iraq we got the full monty of TA/50 gear. I know they cut back on some of it but am wondering just how far.

I know about bringing my meds and stuff but is there anything that is NOT available in the PXs that I should have ready for my GF to send out to me or bring with me?

for the bases with mail service how long does it take to get mail from the states and how regular is it?

I went out to IRAQ in 03 with a years supply of everything because people didn't have a clue. I am trying to avoid most of that this trip. no only because it is a pain in the ass but also because my understanding is that tent living is still the norm and so room for crap is at a premium.

RDJ you working under FLUOR???

Were Occumed/Occucare responsible for your physicals??

They are a bunch of ****in idiots.:nonono:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
. Keep in touch and in the unlikely event we wind up in the Sam place I will buy you what passes for a beer

I found out yesterday that I will likely be at FOB Apache, which I hear is a small FOB. To be honest I would rather be in a smaller FOB with a little more autonomy then a large FOB where SGM's try to make a war zone into a garrison environment. Supposedly multi day missions that will take us to a few different areas. If I ever stop by which ever FOB you end up at I'll be sure to message you here.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I found out yesterday that I will likely be at FOB Apache, which I hear is a small FOB. To be honest I would rather be in a smaller FOB with a little more autonomy then a large FOB where SGM's try to make a war zone into a garrison environment. Supposedly multi day missions that will take us to a few different areas. If I ever stop by which ever FOB you end up at I'll be sure to message you here.
yeah do that I will buy you what passes for a beer LOL!

I got my final medical clearance and they are saying I will report to the CRC at Camp Atterbury on the 29th for class that starts the 30th. why they are starting the day before a holiday is beyond me LOL but it is what it is

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Looks like you're questions are already answered. Just wanted to say safe man. I got back from Afghanistan in June. I was in the Marjah/Nawa district and it had calmed down quite a bit since my first deployment. Good luck and keep us posted.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Thanks guys. I was just looking at the weather and datum for a guy that hates the cold winter is gonna suck lol!

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Thanks guys. I was just looking at the weather and datum for a guy that hates the cold winter is gonna suck lol!

My first deployment was June-January so we took the brunt of the HOT, dry season. My second was November-June. The first 3 months were cold and WET. Trust me, cold and wet is MUCH worse.

I'm not sure how long your deployment is scheduled for. But if I were you, I'd do my best to get back stateside before August. The nut jobs come out of the woodwork for Ramadan.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I will be there at least a year. I am not worried about the summer I would much rather be hot than cold. I didn't mind the Iraqi summers much at all. Winter there temperature wise was not much different than Texas so it was tolerable. I am with you on the cold and wet thing of all the shit combinations possible that is the worst.

I am betting I will be there a couple years at least. The money is just too good to give up easily. But I reevaluate about every six months so when contract renewal time comes I know what I want to do.

My first deployment was June-January so we took the brunt of the HOT, dry season. My second was November-June. The first 3 months were cold and WET. Trust me, cold and wet is MUCH worse.

I'm not sure how long your deployment is scheduled for. But if I were you, I'd do my best to get back stateside before August. The nut jobs come out of the woodwork for Ramadan.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Well got some news. I leave for CRC on the 29th of this month. then on to kuwait. I will be going to Jalalabad from there. Have already been in touch with the guys I will be working with and it doesn't sound too bad.

Internet sounds like it is about what it was in Iraq so if my schedule is right I will be able to do some gaming

While I won't be in a CHU I will have some privacy since they have taken the swa-hut and put up privacy walls and doors that can be locked with a padlock. space is 6 x 10 so it is about 3 feet each direction smaller than the CHUs we had in Iraq.

Jalalabads weather is about like Texas and about like what we had in Iraq where I was. so that is a bonus. and there is no mud to speak of WOOT!

Will be working 5 12s rather than 6 10s and days off are split. another huge bonus IMHO.

all in all it does not sound too bad. and I have a mailing address already so some of the stuff like clothes and some of my gear I can send ahead of time and have it when I get there. That will also allow me to pack lighter than what I would have normally since I only need to take a few clothes.

RDJ you working under FLUOR???
Were Occumed/Occucare responsible for your physicals??
They are a bunch of ****in idiots.:nonono:
Sorry I missed this earlier. but no to working for FLUOR. but yes to OCCUMED doing the physicals. and you are correct they are a bunch of dumbasses. I am seriously hoping however that when I get to CRC I don't have to repeat any of the damn bloodwork, piss collection, etc etc again.

truefiveo

Established Member
Well got some news. I leave for CRC on the 29th of this month. then on to kuwait. I will be going to Jalalabad from there. Have already been in touch with the guys I will be working with and it doesn't sound too bad.

Internet sounds like it is about what it was in Iraq so if my schedule is right I will be able to do some gaming

While I won't be in a CHU I will have some privacy since they have taken the swa-hut and put up privacy walls and doors that can be locked with a padlock. space is 6 x 10 so it is about 3 feet each direction smaller than the CHUs we had in Iraq.

Jalalabads weather is about like Texas and about like what we had in Iraq where I was. so that is a bonus. and there is no mud to speak of WOOT!

Will be working 5 12s rather than 6 10s and days off are split. another huge bonus IMHO.

all in all it does not sound too bad. and I have a mailing address already so some of the stuff like clothes and some of my gear I can send ahead of time and have it when I get there. That will also allow me to pack lighter than what I would have normally since I only need to take a few clothes.

Sorry I missed this earlier. but no to working for FLUOR. but yes to OCCUMED doing the physicals. and you are correct they are a bunch of dumbasses. I am seriously hoping however that when I get to CRC I don't have to repeat any of the damn bloodwork, piss collection, etc etc again.

While living in Kyrgyzstan my old co worker and I ended up hooking up with two UN worker chicks who were working in Jalalabad, they came up to Bishkek for a little vacation for a couple days. They said it wasn't too bad down there living condition wise, Bishkek isn't a bad place to visit if you get a chance for some R&R , to stay in your 330 day tax range the cheap way. It's not too far from Jalalabad and its cheap there, they have a couple nice hotels, good food and there are plenty of things to do there.
I really miss living in Bishkek, the Air Force moved back in and gave us the
boot last spring.

As for OCCUMED I don't see why these companies subcontract them for medicals. They are so unprofessional and they drag their ass on all the paperwork, I was always told by recruiters to constantly stay on top of them and pretty much bug them to get things moving with paperwork.

It also seems their final medical review doctors like to issue RDQs for any and everything. A couple years ago I received an RDQ for my bilirubin levels being .3 out of range. So I gave the Liver Function Tests lab results to my personal physician and she called OCCUMED and had a few words with the medical review board, a day later I received a call from my recruiter telling me my labs were re-evaluated and cleared finally with a Fit for Duty status .:nonono:

Stay safe up there and enjoy the gravy train while it lasts!:beer:

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Rdj, do you leave the wire? In all honesty I thought you stayed in the fobs/camps the whole time. I don't hang around SD to know the full details.
Anyways stay safe! I had a plan of becoming a contractor when I got out, only problem was I didn't personally know any!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Rdj, do you leave the wire? In all honesty I thought you stayed in the fobs/camps the whole time. I don't hang around SD to know the full details.
Anyways stay safe! I had a plan of becoming a contractor when I got out, only problem was I didn't personally know any!

No I don't go outside the wire. They won't let us. Not a lot of call for computer repair on patrol lol

Only thing I have to worry about is shit they lob over the fence line.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Well a bit of an update. I got a call today they want me to consider going to IRAQ instead of Afghanistan. I am torn. They won't tell me where in Iraq tho. and the end of contract bonus is 4k less.

I am leaning to keeping the Afghan assignment since it is a known vs. the total black hole that is information about the Iraq gig.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Well a bit of an update. I got a call today they want me to consider going to IRAQ instead of Afghanistan. I am torn. They won't tell me where in Iraq tho. and the end of contract bonus is 4k less.

I am leaning to keeping the Afghan assignment since it is a known vs. the total black hole that is information about the Iraq gig.

Money 'ho!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Money 'ho!
LOL to a certain extent I certainly am. I would not mind going back to Iraq if I knew WHERE I would be going and what the conditions are. but they won't give me that info until I get there and having been there done that and totally unimpressed with that kind of disorganization I think it best to pass. I don't even know if it is working with the army or State.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
LOL to a certain extent I certainly am. I would not mind going back to Iraq if I knew WHERE I would be going and what the conditions are. but they won't give me that info until I get there and having been there done that and totally unimpressed with that kind of disorganization I think it best to pass. I don't even know if it is working with the army or State.

I'll be asking you for a job in a couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread