Looks like it is a GO for Afghanistan

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
well still not 100% sure but I passed my stress test and the results of all my medical shit is now in the hands of CENTCOM for the waivers. I only need two and the chick handling the paperwork says I should be good.

So with that being said couple of questions regarding AFGHANISTAN. I do NOT know specifically where I will be going.

what is the internet like? I know it will vary with company, sat company they use and such but do they have anything like the tigressnet in Iraq? speedy enough for email and surfing? what about gaming?

For the civilian contractors what are they issuing in CRC now? when I went to Iraq we got the full monty of TA/50 gear. I know they cut back on some of it but am wondering just how far.

I know about bringing my meds and stuff but is there anything that is NOT available in the PXs that I should have ready for my GF to send out to me or bring with me?

for the bases with mail service how long does it take to get mail from the states and how regular is it?

I went out to IRAQ in 03 with a years supply of everything because people didn't have a clue. I am trying to avoid most of that this trip. no only because it is a pain in the ass but also because my understanding is that tent living is still the norm and so room for crap is at a premium.

His Grace

Genesis 1:31
Established Member
Stay safe bud, watch your back and we will be awaiting your updates.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Congratsulations Dave. Now you can change your avatar back to the pie eating baby?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

blank

Established Member
idk about the FOBs but i was at KAF this summer and the internet was pretty legit. we had free morale net in the dorms, but im USAF. they had some interwebz you could pay for and the prices were rediculous man. the PX on KAF was pretty stacked with stuff. anyway man be safe hit me up if you need anything.

mjohns930

Established Member
well still not 100% sure but I passed my stress test and the results of all my medical shit is now in the hands of CENTCOM for the waivers. I only need two and the chick handling the paperwork says I should be good.

So with that being said couple of questions regarding AFGHANISTAN. I do NOT know specifically where I will be going.

what is the internet like? I know it will vary with company, sat company they use and such but do they have anything like the tigressnet in Iraq? speedy enough for email and surfing? what about gaming?

Where I was at the internet was fine. It wasn't fast but you could do Skype if you don't mind a blocky connection most of the time. It was $70/month for 512k down 128k up, so it was expensive. Gaming did not work, all the ports were blocked and your ping would be horrible even if it did since it was all satellite based.

For the civilian contractors what are they issuing in CRC now? when I went to Iraq we got the full monty of TA/50 gear. I know they cut back on some of it but am wondering just how far.

Can't answer this not a contractor.

I know about bringing my meds and stuff but is there anything that is NOT available in the PXs that I should have ready for my GF to send out to me or bring with me?

In my opinion be prepared to have anything and everything sent to you. Our PX was small and was never stocked except for candy and junk food. You might be able to find a random toiletry or something you need in a pinch but bring a lot and have more sent to you. When I deploy I bring enough toiletries to last at least a month if not more just for this type of situation.

for the bases with mail service how long does it take to get mail from the states and how regular is it?

Where I was at we were a mail hub for about 20 or so smaller FOBs so we had pretty good mail service. It took exactly a week for most anything to get there from California.

I went out to IRAQ in 03 with a years supply of everything because people didn't have a clue. I am trying to avoid most of that this trip. no only because it is a pain in the ass but also because my understanding is that tent living is still the norm and so room for crap is at a premium.

I am lucky since I am in the Air Force and we generally have pretty good accommodations and I am not going outside the wire so I can bring a lot of stuff and have room for it. I would say a months supply of stuff would get you by and have your GF send you stuff for the next month within the first two weeks of you being gone.

Answers are bolded above. I was in Afghanistan for a large chunk of this year and got back in September. I was at a FOB in RC East, but we were a small hub for a whole bunch of even smaller FOBs, so we had some decent support sometimes.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
thanks for the info. it tracks with about what I expected for the most part. I will do the normal 60 day thing and call it good. we are going to prepack some boxes and I will let her know when and where to send them.

I just got notified that my wavier was approved for the hearing and heart shit. but now they want something from yet another doc. LOL won't be able to get that till monday afternoon.

Answers are bolded above. I was in Afghanistan for a large chunk of this year and got back in September. I was at a FOB, but we were a small hub for a whole bunch of even smaller FOBs, so we had some decent support sometimes.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Looks like you and I will be in A-stan in the same time period. I'm leaving very shortly. It will be my first time there, so I can't give any advise.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Looks like you and I will be in A-stan in the same time period. I'm leaving very shortly. It will be my first time there, so I can't give any advise.
. Keep in touch and in the unlikely event we wind up in the Sam place I will buy you what passes for a beer

jenkins_1120

Established Member
do you know if youre going to KAF or BAF area? I was around the KAF area last year this time bouncing around from FOB to COP. I went where they needed a dog. most the places are legit with internet, unfortanly some of the places i was at would go into blackout every few days. which just meant that what we were doing was all that more serious. I miss is though and would go back in a heart beat. what is your job?

stangliter04

Established Member

what is the internet like? I know it will vary with company, sat company they use and such but do they have anything like the tigressnet in Iraq? speedy enough for email and surfing? what about gaming? We have satellite internet with Bentley Walker and it runs pretty fast. The four of us are on our own compound so we have to run our own satellite.. most contractors stay in the RLBs and run sniper hill internet which i've heard run pretty good...facetime,Skype, etc

For the civilian contractors what are they issuing in CRC now? when I went to Iraq we got the full monty of TA/50 gear. I know they cut back on some of it but am wondering just how far. I did SRP with the unit I came out with but my coworker here said he was required to get the full set of gear

I know about bringing my meds and stuff but is there anything that is NOT available in the PXs that I should have ready for my GF to send out to me or bring with me? The PX here on KAF unusually has everything you need from cleaning stuff to snacks and movies/clothes. If not there is plenty other store on the boardwalk here. I could have gone this deployment without having anything sent from home.

for the bases with mail service how long does it take to get mail from the states and how regular is it? I usually get a package in 5-6 days from Florida to KAF, unless its insured... for some reason that takes a lot longer.

You shouldn't have to stay in a tent if you are on KAF... I guess it really depends on how well your contracts written and what your LOA has but there are plenty of RLBs to stay in.

Hope that helps... Its getting a little shitty over here for contractors because they are trying to weed out the homeless population living on KAF (TCNs that their company just left there with no way to get home) They've cracked down on meal cards and such. I you want to PM me and I can give you the requirements of getting a meal card and KAF badge, just so you have a heads up.

Ryan

Last edited:

gearhead08

Established Member
Like most have said going to depend A LOT on what place your at. KAF is decent. I don't think your this stupid because you seem to be one of those people that go by the rulebook and live your life that way. If the alarm goes off get your ass on the ground. Even if other people are standing up let them be the ones that get their asses handed to them by a rocket. A lot of close calls last time I was their with my squadron. We would be two less coming back home if they didn't do exactly that.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Like most have said going to depend A LOT on what place your at. KAF is decent. I don't think your this stupid because you seem to be one of those people that go by the rulebook and live your life that way. If the alarm goes off get your ass on the ground. Even if other people are standing up let them be the ones that get their asses handed to them by a rocket. A lot of close calls last time I was their with my squadron. We would be two less coming back home if they didn't do exactly that.
much LULZ was had the first two years I was in Iraq. back then it was if the alarm went off you went to get your shit and THEN get to a hard building. we did that about twice and said **** it. We were not making ourselves more of a target by walking/running around trying to get PPE and then to a hard building. so we just stayed where we were for the most part. you could always tell the new guys because they were the only guys running for cover.

mail to KAF took 9 days for me, and like others have said, the internet and BX were not bad at all.
yeah not much different than Iraq. we were anywhere from 4 to 14 days for mail depending on where we ordered from and what base we were at.

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
I'm a civilian contractor and I work on KAF. I live in a tent and I use the iclos internet. Its pretty much a wireless setup with a router that's works like a 4G hotspot. Its $96 a month for the lowest speed, its barely fast enough for Skype. Gaming is completely out of the question.
They've recently switched some things up and contractors are no longer allowed any to-go plates from dfacs. So plan on eating before work and after.
Mail takes around 5-6 days from the US.

The best advice I can give you is that this IS NOT Iraq and don't expect ANY of the amenities you were used to. When I was deployed to Afghan as a soldiers I lived much worse, but this isn't anywhere near the contractor experience I had hear about.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
We didnt take the alarm all that serious last year until one blew up the shitter in our building!!
ouch! I remember one time I was on the shitter and the red alarm went off. I was just pinching the first one off and I said **** that I aint going nowhere till I get done. it was a hike to the nearest hard building. I just finished up and waited the alarm out.

I'm a civilian contractor and I work on KAF. I live in a tent and I use the iclos internet. Its pretty much a wireless setup with a router that's works like a 4G hotspot. Its $96 a month for the lowest speed, its barely fast enough for Skype. Gaming is completely out of the question.
this sux. but not unexpected. it is like anywhere else in the war zone you get what you got and deal with it.
They've recently switched some things up and contractors are no longer allowed any to-go plates from dfacs. So plan on eating before work and after.
they did this when I was on TQ in Iraq as well due to some people on the post that were feeding people that shouldn't be on the base let alone get fed. at one point they locked the entire base down only people allowed on the road were MPs. then did a room by room search of every hooch, every building, and every connex looking for squaters.
The best advice I can give you is that this IS NOT Iraq and don't expect ANY of the amenities you were used to. When I was deployed to Afghan as a soldiers I lived much worse, but this isn't anywhere near the contractor experience I had hear about.
yeah I have heard from a lot of folks that it is nothing like what was in Iraq on any level. so I am expecting the worst and will deal with it. Much like my first year in Iraq I have the attitude that I can deal with anything for a year. after the first you re-evaluate and decide if you want to do another one or not. toward the end I was evaluating on a 6month basis LOL

662HP631TQ

Established Member

Ok I'm at a huge FOB, I have been here for 4+ years, and I have been to every MAJOR sector (NOT every FOB) in this country. If you go to One of the 3 Biggest FOB, you probably won't hurt for much in way of Toiletries or conveniences at the PX's they stay fairly stocked. Mail has taken anywhere from 2 day (Very Very Lucky) to 2 months (BE CAREFUL WITH INSURED PACKAGES AND ESPECIALLY REGISTERED MAIL THAT IS WHAT TOOK 2 MONTHS REGISTERED MAIL!!!) The 2 things to consider with MAIL AND PX stock and flow is HEAVY TRAFFIC TIMES OF YEAR (Christmas, Haloween, Easter, and 4th of July as many folks send their soldiers off contractors many many things. Living conditions is going to be hit or miss. Contractors are getting more scarce (Not dissapearing) so more housing may be available. In my 4 years I have stayed in on 1 tent while here or out on any of my other missions. It's likely you'll stay in a tent AT FIRST as things have changed a bit, but if you are on a good contract that takes care of it's people, you should be in a wooden structure with your own room OR if you are REALLY LUCKY you may get an RLB CHU thing. I had to wait 2 years to get into a nice CHU of my own (Non-Wet CHU). As far as what they are issuing, you no longer go to CR if I am correct. At least the guys on my contract aren't they go to NDC in Indiana. Same process, but I have heard WAY more streamlined. Same full gear so be prepared to take about 2 Mil Duffels and your personal bag. Just about anywhere you go FOR THE MOST PART you will have decent internet for browsing (NOT Youtube [Although youtube will work it will take FOREVER to load] NOT GAMING, NOT PERFECT FOR VIDEO SKYPE) Remember most of this is satellite based meanining high latenct between you the satellite and the distant end. To Sum it up:

Internet - Good for basic communications if purchasing through an authorized base-wide vendor. Could be REALLY GOOD and expensive if you go with a private co-op vendor, meaning someone or some company bought a satellite connection and is sharing it out and charging. No matter what gaming is probably NOT going to happen and Videos will take longer and Skype video may not be perfect.
Need To Bring - I'd say 1-2 month supply of toiletries and such.
Issued - Very similar to contractors in the past...A LOT about 2 Mil Duffels worth and whatever personal luggage you have.
Mail - Anywhere from 2 days on a very lucky week to 2 months for Registered and some insured mail (doesn't happen THAT bad to insured mail but is a little longer on ocasion.)

Some things may have changed a little, but for the most part I am confident in what I say. Don't take this as the definitive answer, but I know about what I speak, I have been here a while. So time to make the DOUGHnuts for you guy!

Last edited:

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Don't get blowed up and I may see you in a couple years. Looks like I am off to Fort Bragg next to run the Special Ops Schoolhouse. Oh the fun and joy of making tough guys cry!

Users who are viewing this thread