Looks like more bad news...?

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Well if anyone has read through any of my other post, you know I have grenaded my clutch and on the hunt for a new setup. Well tonight before I finalize my options, I decided to go take a gander under the car and make sure cable was good, and fork was intact. etc. Well there is an added surprise.... How bad is this? Hoping I get its not gonna effect it a whole lot because if I have to address that, the car will be down for a while... Chuck it or run it?:fm::cuss::mj:

Tranny.jpg

BlackVenom99

Established Member
You need to get in there and find out what else may have exploded. I'd get a new bellhousing as it wouldn't be cheap to weld a patch.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
I am gonna have it welded up, I may try and do it myself and weld a rib over it to add some strength. I have to get a spool gun though for the aluminum. It only effected that one area, and this is the 99 bellhousing its a one piece deal no slapping a new bellhousing on there..... If only it was the newer t45 where I could throw a new bellhousing at it..:nonono:

Thanks for the input guys, I lost sleep over this last night.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
When I had mine welded, they had to use a special type of welder. It was not the usual stuff.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
I have a guy that runs a control panel manufacturing company. A lot of the panels they make are aluminum, on the side he builds race engines in the back. Says its no big deal, just gonna TIG it. There are no cracks around it therefore he doesnt think it will actually effect it strength even being left alone.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
As long as he has welded cast before it won't be a big deal, cast is a big pain compared to what you typically think of when welding aluminum. It's very dirty and porous.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Wouldnt mind buying another t45, but after laying down $700 on all the clutch parts, kinda sucks. Really sucks knowing the tranny is great, shifts smooth zero issues...

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
that's neat. Just buy another T45.

Yup T45 are cheap. I paid 500 for mine with a spec 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel. Has been holding up to a 150 shot on the old motor and just installed it behind the new motor being built for a turbo.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Well, im either gonna just run it for a while, or get it welded whiles its out. I have 750 miles of break-in so there wont be any beating for a while anyways. Between that time which will be a little bit as it is a weekend car I will put a few bucks aside and pickup a rebuilt t45. There is one around here rebuilt for 650... Just unloaded the cash on the flywheel and clutch so Ill just hang out for a few weeks and roll up on a deal on craigslist or something.....No Nitrous...:bored:

Last edited:

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
Im torn on what to do, I have been told its not going to effect anything, to just weld it up it will be ok if you do that, to you need to ditch the whole thing and get a new tranny.

I guess that is the beauty of the internet, such a vast variety of opinions.

So no, I will most likely not drive it unless at a minimum I get the hole welded. There are no cracks leading off of it, just a clean through hole.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
So what are the chances of a 99 cobra having the t45 with the bolt on bellhousing? I got the car up off the ground and took some pics looks like it has been replaced? I didnt think it was replaced as I have a 3" binder for every service record including when the engine was replaced. Nothing in there about the tranny.. Did some 99's come with this model tremec? Looks like I can breath and buy a 100 dollar bellhousing...??? Correct me if Im wrong.:banana:

bellhousing.jpg

tranny2.jpg

BlackVenom99

Established Member
All t45's are like that, it's bolted together from inside the bell and when removed you can see the gears. You will probably need to verify the shim on the input shaft if you replace with another bell housing. It may not be easy to find a bell that doesn't come with the transmission, your only chance is to find it off an already trashed t45 or at the junkyard.

Users who are viewing this thread