Losing slowly tire pressure from valve stem

Canson

Established Member
Hey guys,

I am been losing now tire pressure like second time now , the tpms lamp also comes up on the display. Never had this issue before.

I tried check the play on the valve stem and there comes plenty air from 2-3 of them.ä actually.

Front tire were at 18 psi and next time was on 13 psi.

Is it possible to change the valve stem from the tpms sensor? Or do I need change the whole tpms sensor?

Please quick answer before i go to tire shop tommorow and have this fixed.

Skickat från min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

einehund

Established Member
The sensor is able to be removed from the valve stem. You can buy replacement valve stems that have the threaded end for reattaching the sensor. The replacement valve stems are specific to the kind of sensor used. Not sure the year your GT500 is, but I guessed 2012 by your profile picture. Dorman® - TPMS Rubber Snap-In Stem has these listed as replacements for a 2012, but not sure how long it would take to get them to Sweden with the current worldwide shipping jam.

Canson

Established Member
The sensor is able to be removed from the valve stem. You can buy replacement valve stems that have the threaded end for reattaching the sensor. The replacement valve stems are specific to the kind of sensor used. Not sure the year your GT500 is, but I guessed 2012 by your profile picture. Dorman - TPMS Rubber Snap-In Stem has these listed as replacements for a 2012, but not sure how long it would take to get them to Sweden with the current worldwide shipping jam.
Yes your right , it's a 2012 GT5500.

So i need to buy this specific valve stem with threaded end?

Won't any other valve stem with threaded end work with the sensor?

Because as you know I live in Sweden and it will take some time before i receive the one you showed me.

einehund

Established Member
I am sure it is any normal valve stem that a sensor can be screwed to. It is usually a star-head bolt that joins the sensor and the valve stem. I know it would take time to get the one I showed you to Sweden, but if you take your tire to a tire shop, I am sure that they could find some that work.

einehund

Established Member
I had German valve stems put into my American spec Focus ST when I was living in Germany. I just had to use the American sensors as the European sensors operated at a different frequency and the American system couldn't read any pressure.

Canson

Established Member
Thank you mate , i will see what I can do.
I will update here when i have been to the tire shop.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I know I am late to this discussion, are your stems bolt together or pull in? <<That is the first question.......and the second question, have you seen a leak at the stem, like a bubble in a soapy water mixture?

The reason why I ask the second question is because I had a slow leak that I could not figure out and in the end it was the barcode label attached in the bead area of the tire, it was not sealing properly in the rim bead area.

Depending upon the manufacturer, sensors and their mounting are different, and now some bolt together stems are one time use only.......

R

Canson

Established Member
I know I am late to this discussion, are your stems bolt together or pull in? <<That is the first question.......and the second question, have you seen a leak at the stem, like a bubble in a soapy water mixture?

The reason why I ask the second question is because I had a slow leak that I could not figure out and in the end it was the barcode label attached in the bead area of the tire, it was not sealing properly in the rim bead area.

Depending upon the manufacturer, sensors and their mounting are different, and now some bolt together stems are one time use only.......

R
Not sure if i understood your first question , i guess the stems are bolt to the sensor?

On your second question , i am pretty sure it's leaking around the valve stem. Because when i bend it a little it leaks crazy amount of air. At least 2 or 3 are leaking. Front right tire is worst. I had to a little bit of papper underneath and in side of the valve stem mount so it was slightly bend to the opposite side of air leaking.

It's fine for now , i will go to tire shop this week after work and see what they can do.

I hope they have valve stem that can bolt to my tire sensors , because i want to keep using. Otherwise i will see the annoying low tire pressure light all the time

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Not sure if i understood your first question , i guess the stems are bolt to the sensor?

On your second question , i am pretty sure it's leaking around the valve stem. Because when i bend it a little it leaks crazy amount of air. At least 2 or 3 are leaking. Front right tire is worst. I had to a little bit of papper underneath and in side of the valve stem mount so it was slightly bend to the opposite side of air leaking.

It's fine for now , i will go to tire shop this week after work and see what they can do.

I hope they have valve stem that can bolt to my tire sensors , because i want to keep using. Otherwise i will see the annoying low tire pressure light all the time

If you are able to bend it, it sounds like a "pull-in" rubber stem. The bolt-in have the stem itself and a nut that tightens it in place with a seal. The pull-in if a regular valve stem with a TPMS attachment on the end. If it is a steady leak, there should be no need to bend it, the test would be if air bubbles are coming out without touching in and it is in it normal (untouched) state.....

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Shown below is one "pull-in" stem (shorty TPMS) and two bolt-in stems, one alum. in the center and the 2013/14 GT500 stem which is stainless. The two that bolt in have a hex head and require a wrench from the bottom side and either a wrench or socket from the top side to install and the rubber stem shown on the left simply pulls into place with a stem install tool......If you have rubber "pull-in" stems, they are probably longer, but install the same way......

001.jpg

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The rubber stem can be pushed left or right and cause a leak, it is somewhat hard to cause a leak by pushing on a bolt-in stem, but I guess it could be done with enough push.......The exploded view of a bolt-together........Look for a hex nut on the stem, that will identify what you have.....

002.jpg

R

Canson

Established Member
This how mine looks , it's a rubber one , with a small screw attached to the sensor i think.
de3d1a05f81b2af7947e07ceb8501f55.jpg

c4e75e2df8907383469a68f5783e5598.jpg

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
This how mine looks , it's a rubber one , with a small screw attached to the sensor i think. View attachment 1708990

View attachment 1708991

Yes, those can leak easier than the bolt-in and their speed rating is much lower. I would replace that stem and move the functioning (good) sensor over to the new stem..................OR get rid of those pull-in rubber stems, buy a decent set of alum. bolt together stems and fix all of them at one time.......BUT, if you do all of them at once, you need to make sure that your TPMS sensors will transfer to the new stems. My picture shows stems that use "like" TPMS sensors, some of the sensors on the market now will not attach to the TPMS stems that I have shown in pictures, so you need to identify what sensors you have, I would suspect they are the sensors that fit the stems I have shown.

By the way, the alum. bolt together stems are also available in Black, so it does not need to be a rubber stem to blend in on a Black wheel.....

If you do stems only and reuse your sensors, you may get by for under $50, if you decide to replace everything, stems and sensors, it can go into the $125 to $150 range for decent bolt-together Black stems.

Stand by for another picture......

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Shown below is a newer example of what is out there for the TPMS stems/sensors.........Note there is no "stem" sticking out of the bottom of the valve stem and the TPMS sensor fits into the stem, it also swivels to tuck it in closer to the rim to minimize damage during tire install/removal........

003.jpg

004.jpg

R

Canson

Established Member
Update: lost tired pressure again on my way home today from work. Was a long road back home. I started to feel little vibration so i stopped and checked tire. Front right tire had lost all tire pressure and and had squized/compressed the side of my Michelin tire together and because of the heat the letters are kinda gone. But i don't think tire got damaged, and i also hope the wheel is still ok. Can take picture later if anyone is interested.

I used the tire inflator (wish i did this as soon as the low tire pressure light came on) worked great and i put more than 2,4 bar.

Did drive immediately to two different tire shops and both couldn't help me, they had no valve stem that could bolt to my sensors.

Only option was to buy aftermarket ones with sensor which wouldn't be able to program with my car anyway , because of different frequency and they were expensive lol. Or use rubber stem without sensor and tire balancing was necessary and would cost me a lot he said.

Now i need help from you guys to give me the correct OEM article number for valve stem or aftermarket ones that fit my car as Robert suggested.

I have 2012 Shelby GT500 with PP package, 19 inch wheels front and 20 inch wheel back.

I need to buy it today already with international shipping , best would be if i could find it in Europe somewhere for faster delivery.

Edit: i had a video actually that i send to my dad earlier , can you guys check and tell me your opinion about the side of my tire? should be ok or?

014832e2da1da7c03ab0c80b5e12e456.jpg
98deb59ae7a7fdde4498f6774e9664d1.jpg

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Here are Matte Black TPMS stems that they say fit the 2011 GT500 application, they also have them in Gloss Black in a different eBay auction......

Here is the set I bought, I had to message them with my year and model of Mustang.......

4 315mhz TPMS Tire Pressure Sensors Ford Mustang GT Matte Black Valve Stems | eBay

.......and another set listed for the 201 Mustang application....

4 Ford Fusion Mustang Focus TPMS Tire Pressure Sensors Matte Black Valve Stems | eBay

Here is the Ford TPMS programming tool from a different source..........

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-tire-pressure-monitor-programming-tool-2007-2021/p/TBANDP/

R

Last edited:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
If completely flat, the inside of the your tire is likely destroyed. Be prepared to buy a new one. Can't drive on a completely flat tire without internal damage. If you had a little air pressure left in there it is probably ok.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

azc0bra

Established Member
That tire looks like what we call "run flat" in the tire industry, and like mentioned is likely degraded enough to be a hazard and dangerous to drive on. It needs to be replaced. The obvious tell tale sign of that is the damage to the exterior of the tire, as you can see in your photographs. There will be considerably more damage inside of the tire and likely a lot of destroyed rubber on the interior when the tire is dismounted from your wheel.

Canson

Established Member
Ok guys you might be right about the tire , i don't wanna take any risks with this tire and the bad valve stems.

I am considering to buy new valve stem with sensors like the one Robert mentioned with new tpms programing tool and buy new set of tires front and rear (haven't changed tires since I bought my car 8 years ago ) will probably go for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S?

While i am there , i could actually get new wheels maybe?

But which one can fit my car? It's lowered with eibach pro springs.

will this combo work , front 20x10 inch wheels with 275/35/20 front tires and 20x11 inch wheels with 305/35/20 back tires? No rubbing issues?

What ET should they be for nice fitment?

Or do you recommend any other combo for 20 inch wheels front and back?

Last edited:

Canson

Established Member
Here are Matte Black TPMS stems that they say fit the 2011 GT500 application, they also have them in Gloss Black in a different eBay auction......

Here is the set I bought, I had to message them with my year and model of Mustang.......

4 315mhz TPMS Tire Pressure Sensors Ford Mustang GT Matte Black Valve Stems | eBay

.......and another set listed for the 201 Mustang application....

4 Ford Fusion Mustang Focus TPMS Tire Pressure Sensors Matte Black Valve Stems | eBay

Here is the Ford TPMS programming tool from a different source..........

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-tire-pressure-monitor-programming-tool-2007-2021/p/TBANDP/

R
The price on the first one is not bad actually , i will buy this one if i don't find another better alternative.

Is it good quality and fitment is good?
Or do you recommend any other model?

Users who are viewing this thread