Lost Boost tonight....HELP!

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Hi guys, Driving home tonight my car acted funny as soon as I started it, I could hear a whistling sound that I haven't heard before when I got on it a little bit. On my ride home it cotinued and by the time I was almost home my boost gauge wouldn't rise, or it would only go about a third of the way w/ 3/4 throttle or it would go farther but there was no real boost. The only thing I did before I drove home tonight was look at the air filter housing a little by unlatching it and looking around to get ready to put the new air filter in tomorrow, and then latched it right back on. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any help you may have before I call the dealer. :shrug:

coleman

Established Member
you didn't disconnect any of the electrical connectors, did you?
i worked on my CAI and forgot to hook my sensors back up... i knew right away something was off and corrected it immediately!

djax

Established Member
If you can hear it, it must be something large sucking air.
My guess would be a vacuum line is off.

BoneCrusher

Established Member
coleman--I didn't even do anything tonight but just look around to see what I had to do to put in the new filter. Other than unlatching the air filter cover for a few secs. and putting it right back on. It's strange that this happened after I did that though so I'm not sure.

djax--that's what I was thinking too so I looked around and can't see anything. I just went out in her again and now it seems that in first I have to get more than half throttle to get any boost whereas before it was way less than half throttle to get into boost. I couldn't hear that whistling sound too much this time but the same thing, boost gauge goes up but she is NOT launching like she used to. Same goes for all six gears.

Last edited:

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Check your vacuum lines. If one of those little 1/8" or 3/16" lines is loose or disconnected you should be able to clearly hear the hissing sound. Check along the fuel rail on the drivers side and follow them around back (against the firewall) to the other side. I don't know how checking the filter would cause one to come loose, but it's worth a look.

Since you were wiggling the intake, you might as well check the MAF sensor plug and other lines that connect to the intake too.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread