Lost factory wheel lock key?!

jmotank

Established Member
it's gonna cost a couple bux a shop to get those off unless you have the tools to do it. this happenes to my ex's eclipse once. forget how much we spent but it was enough to make sure it didn't happen again. a tool is used to basically thread thru the metal in reverse like an extractor and take them off. you'll need a new set of locks too.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
If you have your lock number, Ford can next day a new lock for you. Check your booklet for a small credit card sized card with a number on it. Call em. I got 2 replacement keys so this wouldn't happen again.

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
bang a over-sized socket over the nut then start loosing it, this happened to me and i did this and worked fine. how do you think thief's do it. i think a 3/4 is the size you need. or just go to ford with your lock number

03CobraDom

Established Member
If you have your lock number, Ford can next day a new lock for you. Check your booklet for a small credit card sized card with a number on it. Call em. I got 2 replacement keys so this wouldn't happen again.

Nice, i still have the little card and package thing that the lock key came in.

bang a over-sized socket over the nut then start loosing it, this happened to me and i did this and worked fine. how do you think thief's do it. i think a 3/4 is the size you need. or just go to ford with your lock number

I'll try this if i cant get a key from ford, thanks:beer:

it's gonna cost a couple bux a shop to get those off unless you have the tools to do it. this happenes to my ex's eclipse once. forget how much we spent but it was enough to make sure it didn't happen again. a tool is used to basically thread thru the metal in reverse like an extractor and take them off. you'll need a new set of locks too.

And i'm def not payin someone to take them off lol

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member

+1 I do it all the time. :dw:

When I lose my keys which is often. :nonono:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Banging a socket over the wheel lock only works with certian designed locks. I have had to do it.

A friend of mine is a Ford mechanic and told me once that Ford used about 6 different wheel lock designs. He said he had them all at work. He works at College Park Ford now.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
I have beat a 19 mm socket on my stock ones and on my open ended ones I welded another lug nut onto the lock ... after all this I don't run locks on my car pretty much a waste!

03CobraDom

Established Member
I found this little business card lookin thing from Mcgard (wheel lock company) im gonna mail it in with the $10 bucks they charge and hopefully get a key...

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Dom, I have the kit to remove lug nuts.. I did mine on all 4 wheels.

Its a reverse pattern, you hammer on these socket type things till they bottom out, then just spin the key'ed lugs off. Took me 5 min per wheel.

I took my car to Swarr auto and they sheered my lug key off because they used it on an impact gun. :bash: :bash:

Your more than welcome to use it. Ive also got a few sets of lugs around.

I tried sockets but to get a socket in there, it would have to be thin walled and they all split when I tried them.

I did miss the socket once with the hammer and smashed the center cap. lol

Last edited:

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I found this little business card lookin thing from Mcgard (wheel lock company) im gonna mail it in with the $10 bucks they charge and hopefully get a key...

McGard is the place to get a replacement key and it is cheaper than Ford. I needed a new one for my Jeep and was able to do it over the phone with a credit card (just have the number on the McGard card handy)... had the new key 3 days later and could continue to use the wheel locks. :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread