Lots of oil around dip stick tube.

alcarames

Established Member
Changed my oil recently. Today I checked the oil level and noticed there was a lot of oil around the tube. Also oil level was about a quart low. Runs and drives fine, no smoke.

I already think I know it's a bad piston ring but I'm hoping someone says otherwise. Mods are CJ setup, long tubes, xpipe. Reputable tuner.

Last edited:

KushBandit

Established Member
Could be your rings. Do you have any smoke coming out of your dipstick tube? You could do a leak down test to be sure. I can't think what else would cause that.

alcarames

Established Member
I'll have to watch it while it runs, but yeah figured it wasn't good. Time for a new short block.

Vert

Established Member
Before you jump to a short block, make sure nothing is going on with the tube and no valve cover leak. Next I do a compression check to verify its a ring.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean the dipstick "tube"? Mine always has oil all up and down the dipstick since the oil is so thin. Gets easier to see once it's starts getting more brown. And the low on oil thing is common with some of these cars. Is this something new or has it always consumed some oil? Lots of factors to be considered before just saying you need a new short block.

Last edited:

SixPak

Established Member
Pop your oil filler cap off while the engine is running. If lots of air and misty oil comes flying out then it's very likely you need an engine rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread