Loud Bang after shifting HELP

yosemiddysam

03 Cobra Vert 10th Anniv.
Established Member
Crestview Fl. Grew up in the good ole Dub V
Well.....Here goes.... I was driving down the interstate all by my lonesome and wanted to do a 6th to 3rd pull at 75 MPH. Shifted smoothly, let the clutch out/dropped the hammer at the same time and heard a single lound knock/bang/slam under the car that sounds like it comes right behind the front seats. I thought maybe I hit something. Then yesterday I did a second to third "hard" pull and the same slam came back. No driveability issues, no vibes, wont make a sound unless under hard shift. I got under the car and looked at all rear end connection points, nothing. Looked at the trans attach points, nothing. Everything looks fine. I was extremely disgusted when I seen the driveshaft and the way it designed. With it having a carrier bearing and the new style joints....Is it possible that the drive shaft hit the tunnel? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

yosemiddysam

03 Cobra Vert 10th Anniv.
Established Member
Crestview Fl. Grew up in the good ole Dub V
No Vibration. I was counting the carrier bearing as the 3rd peice. The shaft is two. No marks that I could tell during a very quick look. I hate to take it to the dealer and say "It only does it when you shift hard" Then some snot nosed kid will have a reason to hot rod my car. I plan on doing the relocation brackets, upper and lower control arms soon. Will not do it under moderate shift/acceleration. No noises while going over bumps either.

Carl

Established Member
Maybe a loose upper control arm or bad bushing? Upper control arm bolt is under the rear seat.

Carl

Established Member
Maybe someone installed an aftermarket upper before you bought it. I would have a look. Whiteline uppers tend to fail. Just a thought.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It definitely sounds like a drive shaft issue. U joints could be bad. My best recommendation is take the car to the deal and have a tech go for a drive with you and 9 times out of 10 they don't let any dip shit drive or work on the GT500s. Or pull the DS and have it inspected.

BossAnaki

Established Member
It's your stock lower control arms. The soft rubber bushings compress under high instant load as in shifting really hard. What happens is the bushing will compress and there will be some contact between the arm itself and the center of the bushing where the bolt goes through to mount to the body.

gt500dude

Established Member
Sounds like the same problem I had in my '07. When downshifting and hitting it hard there would be a loud bang. I had tune, CAI, 2.6" pulley & tune. Also had the DSS one piece driveshaft. Took it to the dealership and they told me it the upper control arm couldn't handle the extra torque. I replaced the upper and lower with all BMR stuff and it seemed to make it better but the sound didn't go away completely.

gt500dude

Established Member

PRP

Established Member
I had the same noise on mine when I banged 2nd real hard. That was with the stock suspension. After I changed to Roush w/spherical ends it never happend again.

Look at the very front of your lower control arm, at the apex of the curved part. There is a bolt that holds the parking brake cable bracket to the front of the bracket that the LCA mounts too. Some of the bushings get soft and when you get on it hard, the LCA moves forward and hits that bolt end (I think it's a pointed bolt).

If I remember correctly, it's the LCA on the right side that hits first.

It scared the CRAP out of me the first time it happened. It's LOUD, I thought I popped the rear window out from body flex.

Phill

DaFreak

Established Member
I had the same noise on mine when I banged 2nd real hard. That was with the stock suspension. After I changed to Roush w/spherical ends it never happend again.

Look at the very front of your lower control arm, at the apex of the curved part. There is a bolt that holds the parking brake cable bracket to the front of the bracket that the LCA mounts too. Some of the bushings get soft and when you get on it hard, the LCA moves forward and hits that bolt end (I think it's a pointed bolt).

If I remember correctly, it's the LCA on the right side that hits first.

It scared the CRAP out of me the first time it happened. It's LOUD, I thought I popped the rear window out from body flex.

Phill

Same experience here. Once I switched to a Roush UCA (running BMR now) and MM HD LCA's no more BANG!.

G/L,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread