Loud noise comes and goes

chocolatespeed

Established Member
I was sitting at a stoplight and all of sudden I hear this medium pop. I'm like WTF was that:??: . Then, I begin to smell an odor like coolant mixed with burnt wire and this was with the windows up and a/c running; so I immediately pulled into a parking lot and shut off the A/C. Opened the hood and the odor was faint. Looked under the car to check for any signs of leaks...nothing found. After ~ 30 min. of head scratching inspections nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary:shrug: . I re-started and continued on my merry way.....about 5 min. later I hear this tapping:eek: . First thought "infamous tick", so I pulled over and pop the hood . I heard the noise coming from the front of the engine, from center towards passenger side. I was thinking it was probably a bad idler pulley(as I've read about so many times on the site). But, here is the kicker.....it stopped for several minutes and then comes back. And, I noticed this only happened when the electric cooling fan system comes on. The noise diminishes completely each time the system shuts off and reappears when the cooling fan suppose to kick on. It's very noticeable from outside the car with hood close and as well as sitting inside the car. I even let the car cool down to see if it occurred on cold starts, but no noise, until the car reached warming temp.; thus requiring the cooling system to function and that's when the noise starts. It's kind of hard to pinpoint directly where it is originating from ( belt/idlers I just don't know). Sorry, for the long story, but I wanted to be detailed as possible....in hopes that someone could give me any advice for what may be the problem and perhaps any resolutions. Thanks, Eugene

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
virginiafiveo said:
uh...first guess....something caught in the fan, second guess, fan is going bad. other then that....it's odd it happens with the fan.

When my fan went it made a pop noise....loud as a SOB too. Scared the crap out of me and my passenger.

Users who are viewing this thread