Loud sound when hitting bumps

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
It seems that when I hit a bump(s) on the road the car really takes the heat for it. Meaning, it's such a loud sound than before...as if you had a flat tire and the rim is hitting every bump on the road (for those that have had flat tires know what I mean). My tires pressures are correct.

When I hit the bumps on the highway it feels like banging inside the car. I have my ride lowered, cc plates, bilstein struts, 245.35.18's, and the steeda bump steer kit http://www.steeda.com/products/bumpsteer_kit.php. Is there a certain WAY of adjusting bump steer or does a simple alignment be okay? Does bump steer eventually go bad? It never made this kind of effect or sound before, just started doing it.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
From the rear? Pull the trunk liner out and see if the bushings for the upper shock mounts are toast. That's what my noise was. Sounded just like that too.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
IRS Bushings could be going as well but check the shock mounts.

Also while your at it, get some FLSFCs

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
Oops-sorry...........it's from the Front. And subframe connectors already installed. Welded to the bottom.

Last edited:

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
Mine does the same thing, and it drives me crazy, any ideas?

Has your's been doing it all the time? Or is it a newly acquired characteristic to your car like mine is?? I understand the concept of bump steer, but it seems that it's just not doing it right? As if toe isn't applied and bumps are just getting hit as hard as possible. That's why I was asking if there is a certain way to adjust bump steer.

Last edited by a moderator:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Check the nut on the top of your struts. If they're not really tight, they can make a racket -- especially w/CC plates.

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
How old are the struts...how many miles are on them?

Well, I'm the third owner. And the car has 70k miles. I bought it with 30k miles on it 4 yrs ago. But I know the 2nd owner put them on just don't know when. The struts seem to feel fine... they don't bounce like a lincoln..the ride is still rough and all, just like a lowered ride would be with coil overs. I'll check the top nut to make sure it's tight. Thanks for that.

Last edited:

99COBRADROPTOP

Established Member
67k miles on the car, and its been doing it for a few months now, not sure how long being it was winter and you can only hear it with the windows down

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
Mine does the same thing and it needs new control arm bushings.

My bushings on my control arms are relatively new. I got new bushings when I installed my new kmember and control arms through MM. So I know that isn't a problem. Plus they look pretty good still and greased regularly.

RoyWoods

Established Member
It seems that when I hit a bump(s) on the road the car really takes the heat for it. Meaning, it's such a loud sound than before...as if you had a flat tire and the rim is hitting every bump on the road (for those that have had flat tires know what I mean). My tires pressures are correct.

When I hit the bumps on the highway it feels like banging inside the car. I have my ride lowered, cc plates, bilstein struts, 245.35.18's, and the steeda bump steer kit http://www.steeda.com/products/bumpsteer_kit.php. Is there a certain WAY of adjusting bump steer or does a simple alignment be okay? Does bump steer eventually go bad? It never made this kind of effect or sound before, just started doing it.

A simple alignment by itself will not correctly adjust your bumpsteer. You need something like this too: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/i...in_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=193

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
I'm going to call around here in Dallas to see if anyone does that kind of adjustment, I'm sure they do. I think Dallas Mustang sends their cars somewhere to do it, just don't know where. Thanks for your help....will let you guys know next week how it goes. Also taking my rear diff. out because it's leaking. So I'll be putting in the billet flow brace while it's out! Spring break here I come!

whizdumb81

RealEyesRealizeRealLies
Established Member
Same thing happens to me... exactly the same actually.. My car is also lowered and i have a strong suspicion that when you lower the car it compresses the struts up front and therefore you will get less travel outta them when you hit a bump.. thus the less travel and absorbsion you get outta the strut the more that must be absorbed by the shock tower and control arms themselves... also i could see this affecting the life of the control arm bushings because they will subsequently take a beating from this abuse..
BTW I also have a new edge and this little problem drives me crazy but i'm still puttin money on my theory.. Good luck and tell me if you find anything out..

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Lowering 1 inch will move the valving in the strut basicly 1 inch or less due to angle.

That isn't enough to cause damage considering the amount of travel they have.

And most wouldn't know bump steer if it bit them.
What you are feeling most likely isn't bump steer.

masalacobra

01 Cobra
Established Member
Now I have Bilstein racecraft struts, according to MM those struts are fine for their coil over setup. To what you're saying lowering my car to about 1 inch or a little bit more would NOT hurt them? I'll be getting under the car soon, just haven't had time yet..But if I can't find anything then I'll have to take it in the shop.

I drove my parent's Mercedes C230 on Sunday to church for the 1st time. It has just about the same size tires as my car, handles 100 times better! Even during a turn hitting a bump or small things on the road it did not deflect the car in any way. I want my car to feel like that! Thought that the entire suspension set up I had would somewhat get close to it but it seems I'm getting further away from that goal. BLAH!

Anyways, I'll only know soon enough what the heck all that noise is on my car next week. Until then folks....thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread