Loud tranny

trmn8tr

Established Member
Does anybody else hear a loud thud when shifting? Every time I shift even if I shift nice and slow, I still hear a loud thud.

Thanks,
Kevin
03 Cobra

EasyMoney

Established Member
sounds like something hitting the bottom of the car. mine does it sometimes dont know what it is.:shrug:

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
There have been several threads on this forum concerning the sound of our transmissions. One poster compared the sound to the old "rock crusher" hi performance trans of past muscle. My trans has the same rock crushing sound in first gear, then thuds its way through the other 5. It seems to be a common sound of our T-56's and Im used to it now. I look at is as though I purchased a race car disguised as a passenger vehicle:thumbsup:

KingKobra

Established Member
my 2 pennies

I have two sounds... :shrug:

One is a grinding (like you can hear the cogs spinning) sound of my transaxle gears that I kinda like.

The other is a thud, usually when I engage in first gear after coming to a halt.

I noticed that the thud can be avoided if you double-clutch before you engage the gear... that is to say, if you push the clutch in/out/in and then put the gear in first....

But, it comes back in 2nd gear unless you really rev it up.

:shrug:

trmn8tr

Established Member
Snakebite,
Thanks for the info. The sound doesn't bother me at all...just wanted to make sure it was normal. I figured it was just from the heavy duty tranny.

Kevin
03 Cobra

Aharon

Established Member
I have the thud as well. My FBody had the T56 tranny, and did not thud.

It sounds like drivetrain play, and ALOT of drive train play at that. A simple test is to keep it in 5th.. Take your foot off the gas for a couple of seconds. Then slightly apply the gas again. In about 1/4 second you will here the thud again. That pause before the thud is the play in the drive train. Some cars have it, though the 03 has the most I have ever seen.

Whats your thoughts on this? This is my theory anyway :)

Oh, and I dont have the +80mph vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread