Louder exhaust at idle

AmnDucky

Established Member
Is there a way to get my exhaust louder at idle and around town cruising? I have flowmaster hushpowers and boss side exhaust with electric cutouts. Even with the cutouts open, windows down, I can't hear my exhaust at idle. I know about the lope tunes, and I'm sure that's one option, I'm just not looking specifically for a lope sound (nor am I tuned). I loved how the car sounded when I had my muffler deletes, but the volume at WOT was too much (I busted sound at MRLS). Now I love how my car sounds at WOT, but hate that I can't hear it when idling. Is that the tradeoff? Ear splitting WOT with good idle, or silent idle with good WOT?

F.D.Sako

Established Member
Drive in 1st gear... :p

you could move the cutout to the h-pipe and enlarge the sidepipes, so you can block off the h-pipe and bypass the mufflers and go straight to the sidepipes.

AmnDucky

Established Member
Drive in 1st gear... :p

you could move the cutout to the h-pipe and enlarge the sidepipes, so you can block off the h-pipe and bypass the mufflers and go straight to the sidepipes.

My exhaust isn't that loud in first either because I can't put any load on the engine without spinning my tires haha.

Apparently there is some baffling in the Boss 302 side exhaust, and people have removed that. I'm wondering if it's worth the money to get an exhaust shop to start hacking and welding at my exhaust. The side exhaust just isn't big enough to flow a large volume. Low volume, low noise.

bullet3z

Established Member
Why not just get he FRPP procal tuner? You already have the Boss side pipes and would get a good amount of sound with the new lope idle tune that they have. I can hear it fine on my car with just the S types out back.

On a side not. Are you just driving around with the traction control off? Not sure how even the smallest amount of gas is spinning your tires lose.

AmnDucky

Established Member
Resonators
Oh yeah, I forgot those exist. Does removing them make that big of a difference?

Why not just get he FRPP procal tuner? You already have the Boss side pipes and would get a good amount of sound with the new lope idle tune that they have. I can hear it fine on my car with just the S types out back.

On a side not. Are you just driving around with the traction control off? Not sure how even the smallest amount of gas is spinning your tires lose.

If I'm going to get a tuner, I'll at least get an XCal with a safe mail order tune. I didn't know that Ford had made a lope tune though.

And no, I leave traction control on. The TC will let the wheels spin a little as long as you go in a straight line. If the back end starts to come around at all, the stability control kicks in and shuts it down. 6AM every morning, cold tires, cold asphalt, coming off of the metering light on to the freeway, I don't catch traction until the top of second. It was fun at first, now I just want to freakin merge.

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
I got my resonators cut out for $50, took about an hr. Welded 3 in pipe, made big difference. I also have roush AB.

AmnDucky

Established Member
I got my resonators cut out for $50, took about an hr. Welded 3 in pipe, made big difference. I also have roush AB.

$50 is totally worth it. Maybe I'll have them pull the baffling out of the side exhaust also. Besides being quiet, I think my exhaust is too tame. A little smoother pipe should remedy that me thinks.

Users who are viewing this thread