love my car but a little dissapointed

nocobrafornow

Established Member
hey guys, last saturday i bought a new Kona blue premium gt, only option is the auto trans. i only wanted to do a couple mods so i bought a JLT cai and oil separator, and a SCT tuner from Lethal. i knew the cai would be top quality because i used thier parts in the past. it went in nice and easy. i do have 1 question for those of you who have one, does the air box on your kit touch the hood. what i mean is i know it's supposed to seal but now i have to use a little pressure to close the hood. it doesn't seem to be hurting anything just curios. anyway sorry for rambling, my dissapointment came today when i went to the track and ran an awesome 13.24@110 with a 2.143 60'. the problem was traction, i left easy but when it shifted to 2nd it just blew the tires away, i pedaled it then it shifted to 3rd when i got back in it, it down shifted and just ruined the run. second pass it spun even worse in 2nd so i just let out. i know i now need dr's, but god did the track suck. i was really hoping for more because i've seen where some guys are running very low 12's on stock tires, anyone else have this issue. also the guys running stock 18's what size dr are you using. thanks for listening.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
used 275/60r15s last night. hooked great, but the clutch didnt like it at all when i ran spray. to much grip and tq for it, but anyway, those tires are the SHIZ!

nocobrafornow

Established Member
thanks for the replies guys, i'm not dissappointed in the car just the times which goes to show how crappy our local track has gotten. when i say the car would spin usually you hear the tires squeal or what ever but when it spun it was like it was wet no noise just the car sliding sideways. i think i am going to order a set of 305/45/18 dr's and see how they work.

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
The 5.0 needs better tires. prob will need street drag radials to get low 12/high 11.

I dont even think a supercharged 5.0 with street oem tires and wheels can do low 11s. the tires are the weak spot.

PhantomX

Established Member
If you have the all season tires you can forget about traction. Even bumping up to the Pirelli summers will do you far better. I have the 19's with Brembo's and Pirelli summers, I pulled a 1.75 60' on those tires.

A suggestion would be to lower the pressure to about 25psi, back in to the water box, dust the tires off then do a proper burnout and try again. Should hook a bit better...

Users who are viewing this thread