Low Battery, ABS Light, Check Trac Control...All sorts of crazy!

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
First off, I have an '08 GT500, bone stock, save for Borla Stinger catbacks. The car has about 24,000 miles on her, and I changed the battery at about 16,000 miles (about 6 months ago.)

Tonight, while driving home, I saw a strange message pop up on my radio, then it went away. Then it showed up again, it said "Low Battery." Then, the ABS light turned on, and my dash (where you normally get the "Low Fuel" message) said something along the lines of "Check Trac Control."

Little by little, my car started turning off. First, the radio. Then, my headlights. Then, the windows wouldn't work. The car started sputtering every once in a while during idle, as if getting ready to die. I was only about 2 miles away from home when it all started, so I finished driving home. As soon as I pull into my garage, the car is ready to take a crap, so I shut her off. The radio is going crazy, trying to change CDs. I turned the key to on, but not to ignition, and my radio says "Initializing." The car won't turn if I try to turn it on, it sounds like a dead battery. I highly doubt it's the battery.

I don't have any tools with me since I just moved, so I'm kinda SOL, and it's my only car. Any ideas?

[EDIT]

I just tried turning on the car, and it worked, as I thought it would. It also did what I thought it would, which is repeat itself. Less than a minute after turning her on, I received the same "Check Trac Control" message, the ABS light turned on, the radio turned off, the lights started sputtering, etc. I turned the car off, and it wouldn't start again.

Google isn't of much help, the only thing I've found is something about a sensor in the rear of the car, but that person's problem wasn't very similar to mine.

[EDIT 2]

My best guess is the alternator is failing me.

Last edited:

M91196

Established Member
Old school tip, if the battery is dead the alternator will be trying like crazy to charge it so it will be hot. If the alt is dead it's cool(er)
Good luck

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
Thanks! I just wish I would have known this when it first happened lol. I'll do turn on the car tomorrow after work for a few minutes and see how the alternator feels.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
This sounds ssoooo familiar - your alternator is bad. You should charge up your battery and get the system checked. 99.99% is is the alternator (I've gone through two and both times the symptoms are identical to your description).

GT 500

Established Member
My abs light, parking break light and trac light was on too
Cost me three days at the dealer and $650 to figure it out
4 loose pins in the abs module harness were not making contact
Thats all it was, weird

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
What alternator do you all recommend? I've been reading that the Ford OEM alternator is garbage, and people have replaced it twice only to have them both go out after 15k-20k miles. I'm stuck between these, unless anybody has any other suggestions. My car is currently stock, except for Borla Stinger catbacks. I do have plans for the car, but it won't be for a while, and it won't be anything too extreme. My goal is 600 RWHP, 700 at most. In terms of electronics, I probably won't be changing anything out. The stock Shaker 500 does me well.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/paperformance-130amp-alternator-0708gt500.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/paperformance-200amp-alternator-0708gt500.html
http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-GT500-Alteranator-p/s7m-10300.htm (If this one, should I pay for the stronger one?)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Everybody else has mentioned it, but I'll add my opinion, too, that your alternator is taking a dump. The only other thing I would guess would cause all that at the same time would be a bad Body Control Module connection.

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
The Shelby is a PA. You can't have too many amps, only too few. I'd go for the higher amp model. Actually I did, but I bought a Nation's 270 amp.

Steve

jonw605

Established Member
My car did a similar thing when my positive battery wire fuse blew. It was my fault when I was installing my blower a wrench fell onto the positive terminal and a piece of metal. Sparks flew. I found out it blew the fuse after I started it. Battery light, traction control light and check engine light were all on and flashing.

Users who are viewing this thread