Low RPM 1998 mustang Cobra

jbarger

Established Member
Need some help. I was driving my cobra yesterday, turned the corner and gave it som gas to go around another vehicle. As soon as i got around the guy i could tell the motor would not rev past 2500 rpm. Good fuel pressure good oil pressure, temperature normal, voltage good. Would this be a coil pack gone bad? Need some suggestions.

Thanks

perry2k12

Established Member
when my coil went bad, it would only struggle to rev after the coil had time to get hot under the hood. does it do it before the car has time to get warm?

jbarger

Established Member
when my coil went bad, it would only struggle to rev after the coil had time to get hot under the hood. does it do it before the car has time to get warm?

No, after i got it in the garage i totally let it set for about 5 hours, fired it up same thing no rev past 2500 rpm and a heavy gas smell coming out the tailpipes.

F8L BYT

Established Member
Heavy smell of gas makes me think coil pack or at least something along those lines of not getting any spark

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Not reving past 2500 sounds like limp mode.

Last time mine did the the MAF had seperated from the inlet tube.
There is something wrong for sure causing limp mode and I don't think a coil pack will do it.
Not sure though.

jbarger

Established Member
Fixed!!!!!!!

While i was finishing changing out the spark plugs on the passenger side, i was removing the inlet tube from the supercharger to the throttle body. When i loosened the clamp at the throttle body end the tube just fell out. Definitely was not sealed. Finished the spark plugs, got everything buttoned up fired it up, runs beautiful. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread