Low vacuum boost thoughts

yayyayjr

Established Member
I have a new build with a 3.4 Whipple Crusher. When I have any acceleration when boost comes in, there's a slight "bump". As in, when it kicks into boost it feels like the throttle body slams open and you actually feel it kick into boost. Not even with WOT, its normal driving. Was wondering if this could be fixed by a low vacuum by pass valve? I've heard this has been an issue with big Whipple blowers. thouugghhttssss?? It's pretty annoying.

olympic

Established Member
Mine does the same and I have the low vacuum bypass valve. If the engine only makes 8-9" of vacuum the bypass valve is going to close with the slightest application of throttle. The problem is also amplified by the fact that boost pressure helps push the valve closed. So instead of a smooth transition, it slams shut earlier than it should or even flutters between open and closed.

Some have tried shoving a small nitrous jet in the vacuum line to slow down the closing of the valve. It helps driveability but also delays the onset of max boost when you stab the throttle. I've also read that some owners have had success in increasing intake vacuum by installing adjustable cam sprockets and playing with their cam timing but it's expensive and time consuming.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I have a new build with a 3.4 Whipple Crusher. When I have any acceleration when boost comes in, there's a slight "bump". As in, when it kicks into boost it feels like the throttle body slams open and you actually feel it kick into boost. Not even with WOT, its normal driving. Was wondering if this could be fixed by a low vacuum by pass valve? I've heard this has been an issue with big Whipple blowers. thouugghhttssss?? It's pretty annoying.

I'm assuming aftermarket cams?

Users who are viewing this thread