Lower intake gasket questions

ttadriver

Established Member
I recently noticed some coolant settling in the valley in front of the water pump. It appears that the coolant is coming from the frontal region of the lower intake. I plan pull the lower intake to see what's going on. Any tips or tricks I could benefit from? Is the felpro 1262 the gasket of choice? RTV use? Any info is greatly appreciated
thanks

fivestangs

Established Member
Before going that route, I would replace (or, at a minimum, check) the 2 small heater hoses and the upper radiator hose....I suppose it's possible, but I seriously doubt your lower intake is leaking.

WillyB93

Established Member
You may want to check the upper radiator housing gasket also slight chance it may be leaking under pressure.

ttadriver

Established Member
All the hoses are in good repair. no coolant was seen where the hoses clap to the intake, water pump, etc. If I dry off the coolant, then drive the car, the area is still clean. It is only when I park the car and allow it to cool when I see the antifreeze

WillyB93

Established Member
Hmm is it a large puddle or just a few drops??? Is the weep hole in the water pump wet or leaking. The weep hole is normally on the bottom side of the water pump, If it is leaking there the seal is going bad in the water pump.

buddha93

Established Member
Before going that route, I would replace (or, at a minimum, check) the 2 small heater hoses and the upper radiator hose....I suppose it's possible, but I seriously doubt your lower intake is leaking.

That's the first place I would have checked also, in addition to the t-stat housing. I know that you've checked them, however with the thermal expansion of stuff, they can leak when you least expect them too.

But if you do end up putting on a set of gaskets, just use the gaskets for the intake runners, and silicone the front and rear......toss the cork ones that that come with the gaskets.

ttadriver

Established Member
Hmm is it a large puddle or just a few drops??? Is the weep hole in the water pump wet or leaking. The weep hole is normally on the bottom side of the water pump, If it is leaking there the seal is going bad in the water pump.

Thanks guys again for all the help.

No, there is no puddle of antifreeze on the ground. Just a small pool of coolant on top of where the water pump attaches to the engine. It has been more noticeable since the weather at night is cooler

fivestangs

Established Member
Sometimes it's not real obvious where the leak is coming from. This just happened to me a couple of months ago. I had been noticing I had to add water every couple of weeks...I NEVER had water under the car, and (unlike you), no water in that little valley between the water pump and the block (or anywhere else for that matter). One day, I took the car out for a short spin..it must have gotten *just hot enough* because when I pulled the car in the garage and popped the hood, I could hear and then spot a very small jet of water shooting out of the bypass hose....I had FINALLY found the leak! And let me tell you...it stopped spraying water in a few minutes and it NEVER left a puddle on the ground. So, I'm just saying...you might think that those hoses look good and tight and they're not leaking...but you never know :)

Good luck to ya if you decide to pull the lower...heck...while it's off, send it to TMoss to have it ported :)

greengt88

Established Member
could be the thermostat housing gasket also. alot of times the bolts are so disintegrated that coolant makes its way passt them. housing itself tends to errode over time as well. u could put some dye in really see where its coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread