lower or not?

93COBRA2104

Established Member
I know there have been a lot of posts on here about lowering, I am just wondering about what everyone uses to lower their trucks, costs, what is the best to use? Any pic links would be great so I can see what my truck might look like. Still undecided about what I want to do...just trying to get an idea. Thanks everyone,
Milward

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
how much have you got to spend? anything lower than 1.5 in front will cost you $$$ for dropped i-beams if yo want to do it right. you can go 1.5 on front and 2.0 in the rear for about $225 if you do it yourself.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
here's what the 1.5/2.0 looks like

24247-1067-19044.jpg

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
btw, the 3/4 would look good. you'll have to run a smaller tire size in front for sure. look at pics of 8yurss's truck. he's pretty low. not sure how low though, but man it looks killer.

Last edited:

93COBRA2104

Established Member
Thanks man, Ive talked to him about his tire size and I have a good idea of what size to get. BTW, do you have any idea where I would find what the angle is supposed to be for our drive shafts?

1 other thing... Is the drop something I will be able to do myself?

Thanks again,
Milward

95 thunder

Established Member
i have asked also before about lowering and pretty much learning the "in's and outs" from here and nloc....but how low can u go (approximate) to be able to keep stock tires/rims/no problems (rubbing etc.)....? (trying to do my homework good, before i do mine and for sure want to be able to keep stock tires/rims) thanks! and no intention of highjacking thread....also i have the leveling shackle kit now installed, and today i was at a hotrod type garage, and ask them if they do lowering? they said yes and talked about "blocks" in the rear, dont mind the ignorance, but i dont think i have ever heard someone talk about "blocks"? guy told me it was better then hangers.....anyone?

93COBRA2104

Established Member
Matt95L said:

You say the pinion angle doesnt have to be touched? I am having a grinding noise in my rear end (jokes aside...haha) The guys at the tranny shop said it was bc the truck was slightly lowered. Does anything have to be done to the drive train when you lower our trucks?

Matt95L

Established Member
I've had the 1/2 Eibach/Belltech drop on my truck for over 2 years(No grinding noises).I made no modifications other than swapping the springs and shackles out.

93COBRA2104

Established Member
I think Im going to go with the 3/4 drop (just have to get the money). Then I will replace the rear end and see if the grinding stops. If it doesnt, should I get a custom drive shaft made? Or is there another alternative?
Thanks

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
grinding sounds more serious than pinion angle. though, i've nevr heard a rear grind. alot of singing or whining, but never grinding. i would think a lowering kit that needed shimming would come with the shims. just like lift kits do.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
I love the 3/4 drop, but to me, here are the drawbacks: -more than likely going to need new tires to prevent rubbing, so add that on to the already expensive cost. You will also need new "drop" shocks, add that on as well. Clearance also becomes an issue at least for those of us with the big pickrel exhaust who also plan on running lfp/or similar traction bars. Lastly, the install is not as straightforward as just shackles and springs. Most say that a c-notch is needed in order to not sacrifice too much ride comfort. I am still not clear on what a c-notch is, but from what I've read, it does not sound fun, fast or easy. Ultimately, I'd love to see some kind of coilover set that would replace the twin i beams, besides the AJE product, which is great, but is for drag only. I would like to have a coilover made for more handling and what not, at least then we could use some c/c plates etc. for those who are not solely into dragging, but alas, I know this IS a truck. Maybe we could start pursuing manufacturers and start a group buy? (It is late and I am feeling overly optimistic and obviously quite delerious) -Josh

Last edited:

93COBRA2104

Established Member
I can tell you right now I have no idea what c-notch is. I knew I would have to get new tires (prepared for that one), but I didnt know anything about a c-notch or drop shocks. The truck has pretty new edelbrock shocks, maybe I can still use those. Also, this is something I thought I could do in my garage. Ugh, I just got up and have to head to work.

SOUL REBEL, do you have the 3/4 drop on yours? If not do you know anyone that does? Thanks.

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Nope, butgo over on the NLOC and search and look at some of the posts by fordfreak95. His truck is sweet but I talked to him and he said it was a PITA. I guess it really depends on how low you want to go.

93COBRA2104

Established Member
Soul Rebel said:
Nope, butgo over on the NLOC and search and look at some of the posts by fordfreak95. His truck is sweet but I talked to him and he said it was a PITA. I guess it really depends on how low you want to go.

Sorry for the ignorance, but I have no idea what PITA is.

BTW 8yurss, Wheels look good on the truck, good on you for sticking with the chrome. Im thinking about lowering, what did you use to lower yours? Thanks man.

Users who are viewing this thread