Lower pulleys

GetSome

Established Member
Anyone having problems with overheating after the lower pulley mod? I heard temperature raises a lot after running them hard. I am skeptical about upgrading the pulleys due to this....trying to hold off on spending the extra cash for the cooler upgrade. Since I am a daily driver, should I hold off on the lower pulley? :-?

Undy

Established Member
I think you'll be safe for the street if you stay with the 2lb lower. Some people are running 4 lb lowers with 1 to 2 lb uppers. This should be a "race only" set up. I think after the 2lb increase intake air temps tend to increase exponentially with more boost. You can "artificially" drop the temps by remote ice coolers sold by JL but that's only good for the strip and worthless for daily street use. Hope this helps....

John Armstrong

Established Member
I'm running Jim's big pulley and mine is pretty much a daily driver and having no problems heat or otherwise. We are running 13lbs of boost according to my Autometer boost gauge.

Several of us Texan have Jim's big pulley and one has the small upper and large lower and I have not heard of any problems.

Last edited:

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
Noo problems--heat or otherwise....

I have just the 3# JL pulley and stock upper. Drive daily(35 mins.-one way) , although I don't 'hit' the boost most of the time while on the h'wy. Also made 3 dyno runs and 100+ 1/4 mile WOT passes(most of the time, not shutting off eng.) with the stock coolant temp gauge needle just at or just above the 'F' mark.

Btw, I have the boost dump disconnected too--no 'heat' or any other kind of problems........wait, I forgot, the fog lights are cracked

Dan

Undy

Established Member
The heat generation you see won't be reflected in excessive engine coolant temps. You probably won't see any indication as far as drivability problems, short term. The effects are long term.. Your entering air charge will be much higher . The problem occurs after you make a/several hard runs and you shut the engine down and you restart shortly thereafter. The intercooler circulating pump shuts down with the engine. Unfortunately the heat in the supercharger continues to rise due to an absence of a circulating cooling medium ( called after bake). This results in an abnormally high dose of heat going into the engine when you restart. This happens to a certain extent with a stock pulley but the greater the boost the more the heat generation. This can have a premature long term negative effect on the engine and supercharger.....simple thermal dynamics.. I'm not advocating everyone running out and taking off there aftermarket pullies. Just be aware of what 's going on...

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
Undy - that sounds like a good reason to do the mod that allows you to run the intercooler pump by turning on a switch.

99BlkLitng

Established Member
I/C pump mod???

that sounds like a good reason to do the mod that allows you to run the intercooler pump by turning on a switch.
FlaSVT
What mod is that, how is it done and how much does it cost?

Damon

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
There's a mod floating around on how to wire the intercooler pump to a switch so it can be run while the truck is shut off. It works best if you also install a fan on the intercooler heat exchange coil down behind the lower grill. I'll have to look and see if I can still find it.

DR.D

Established Member
sc heat

Does letting the engine idle for a bit help to bring the sc temp down to a reasonable level? after a 1/4 mi run...

Undy

Established Member
letting it idle after a run of course helps if you've no means for additional artificial cooling. The heat build up in the supercharger is the reason you see a bag of ice sitting on most of the lightning superchargers between runs. The ice and time for it to cool the supercharger down helps a bunch with lower ETs.

JJ's SVT

Banned
Originally posted by GetSome
Anyone having problems with overheating after the lower pulley mod? I heard temperature raises a lot after running them hard. I am skeptical about upgrading the pulleys due to this....trying to hold off on spending the extra cash for the cooler upgrade. Since I am a daily driver, should I hold off on the lower pulley? :-?

Hey Getsome, I noticed you are in Columbia Md.. why dont you give me a call, I work in Columbia and can hook you and your L up with whatever gofast goodies you want.. I will take you for a ride in my 12.77 second 01 L for you to decide if lower pulleys are worth it.. and I only have the 2lb lower.... check my site and let me know.. JJ

Redrider

Established Member
PSP lower pulley

I am using Sal's lower pulley, PSP, and I love it. I drive 25 miles each way to work. I have checked to see any changes in temp and have noticed nothing! It's a great mod !

captainoblivious

Slow Vehicles in Training
Established Member
Originally posted by FlaSVT
There's a mod floating around on how to wire the intercooler pump to a switch so it can be run while the truck is shut off. It works best if you also install a fan on the intercooler heat exchange coil down behind the lower grill. I'll have to look and see if I can still find it.

Don't they have some sort of relay out that we could hook the intercoller pump and an intercooler fan up to so that they would keep running for a few minutes after the truck is shut off, like say 1 or 2 min. I'm sure that would help cool down a decent amount and wouldn't put much stress or drain on the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread