Lowered motors and headers... who has?

Willie

Established Member
I'd like to know who has this combo and if it posed any problems with installation or ground clearance. My motor is lowered 3/4" (motor mounts, not a K-member), but do not have headers.... yet.... Any info is appreciated...

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
I used to run the 3/4" lower mounts with my KB 3.6. No problems with installation, but the headers would scrape on the speed bumps in my parking garage at work, so I had to either change my set up or no longer take the GT500 to work. Chose to go back to stock engine height and a Cervinis hood.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I had adjustable mounts in my car before I swapped out the K-member with a MM unit. While working on the car, I had taken all the "biscuits" out of the mount, which lowered the engine 3/4". I had no particular header clearance issues doing that with American Racing 1 7/8" headers, but I did not drive it like that. There were other aspects I didn't like about it. With the stock K-member, I did not like how close it was to the oil pan. I am using the 13-14 aluminum oil pan, however. It also puts some of the oil cooler coolant fittings damn close to the sway bar. I've got bigger sway bars on my car too. I also make a bracket to mount my oil gauge adapter which caused some interference issues with it and the EPAS. I'm back to stock height with the MM K-frame.

Willie

Established Member
I'm also curious how much clearance you have from the ground to the lowest point on the header, I assume at the collector / flange.....

I'm looking at the Kooks headers and their collector seems not to be in the traditional location - it's on an angle and not parallel to the ground, which makes the header somewhat shorter than all the others... this design might be the way to go for me. Not only is my motor lowered, but so is the car.... I do not have much clearance as it is and can't afford to have even less with headers....

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
This is strictly from recollection, but the ARH collector was pretty much just below the unibody frame rail. While the engine was lower by 3/4" at the mounts, the transmission was not lowered, so net impact at the collector wasn't of much consequence.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
I should've mentioned I have the Dynatech 1-7/8 and that I have stock springs up front (although I lowered the rear to match the front ride height). I will try to take pics and measurements and report back.

Willie

Established Member
....While the engine was lower by 3/4" at the mounts, the transmission was not lowered, so net impact at the collector wasn't of much consequence.

I'm an idiot for not taking measurements prior to lowering the motor. Just not enough foresight on my part. Now I have no idea how much ground clearance I lost, if any.

I should've mentioned I have the Dynatech 1-7/8 and that I have stock springs up front (although I lowered the rear to match the front ride height). I will try to take pics and measurements and report back.

Yes, thank you!
I used to have the same headers on #1 with stock springs also, and actually prefer to use Dynatech's on #2, but hesitate because clearance might be an issue...

Willie

merkyworks

Established Member
Hopefully this can help.

My car is has stock uni-body/K-member, steeda motor mounts set to stock height, stock SVTPP suspension and ARH. The collectors definitely sit below the frame, maybe 3/4" to 1".
IMG_9192.JPG

With 265/45/19 tires (27.3" diameter) the collector doesn't scrape but the OR x-pipe would scrape on my neighborhood speed bumps if I didn't take them at an angle, but my neighborhood speed bumps are ridiculous. The city must have needed to use up asphalt cause mine are like these but asphalt and about 1" taller. :mad:
Capture.JPG

With new wheels and 285/35/20 tires (27.9" diameter) I can take the speed bumps straight on and clear almost all of the speed bumps without issues. Maybe I should try and adjust the x-pipe but since it's not really an issue now I haven't bothered.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Willie—it looks like I only have 3-3/4 to 3-7/8 clearance on my setup as mentioned above. Again, that’s on stock front springs and stock motor height.

da6aed326dc25ff3ab1bcad70c2f43de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie

Established Member
Willie—it looks like I only have 3-3/4 to 3-7/8 clearance on my setup as mentioned above. Again, that’s on stock front springs and stock motor height.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. That's a TON more than I have. The distance between the ground and my downpipe, measured at the bend is slightly less than two inches... Then about one foot back are my cats, which makes ground clearance slightly less. Man, gotta have these pipes modified or make the decision to try headers (most likely Kooks)...

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
Willie I’ve got the Kooks on mine and you are correct on how the collector is angled and further up than other options for headers. The way the mid pipes attach I was able to get it to tuck up really nice and tight. I can shoot you a side shot photo and take some measurements if you want. Car is lowered, but stock height motor mounts and stock K.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Car is not lowered...( 2014 MY )
Pic is Kooks 1 7/8", as I live in an inspection state, Kooks " green " cats. The cat is the lowest part of the exhaust, which by my measurement is 4 5/16" from the ground.
The engine is lowered because of the Whipple 3.4 ( stock hood )
01-02-2015_free_oil_change_005.jpg

merkyworks

Established Member
Pic is Kooks 1 7/8", as I live in an inspection state, Kooks " green " cats. The cat is the lowest part of the exhaust, which by my measurement is 4 5/16" from the ground.

Man that's a huge oil leak you got there!
01-02-2015_free_oil_change_005.jpg

Willie

Established Member

Excellent info. Based on your measurements, I should have roughly 3-inches clearance, which is far better than what I have now.

Also, it's good to know that these headers will install with no clearance issues on a lowered motor.

Curious about whether O2 extensions were needed... seems the sensors are significantly forward and closer to the stock locations from traditional long tubes.

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
Excellent info. Based on your measurements, I should have roughly 3-inches clearance, which is far better than what I have now.

Also, it's good to know that these headers will install with no clearance issues on a lowered motor.

Curious about whether O2 extensions were needed... seems the sensors are significantly forward and closer to the stock locations from traditional long tubes.

I rerouted the o2 harness under the trans and did not need extensions. They still would not reach on my 11 without either the extensions or rerouting the harness.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Curious about whether 02 extensions were needed... seems the sensors are significantly forward and closer to the stock locations from traditional long tubes.
I checked all my invoices & saw nothing for 02 extensions, if they used them, it would be the 1st time I ever got something for free !!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The fabric covering on the O2 wiring indicate there is no extension in place.

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
49311804-2ECF-4834-9FF2-E794540BA3A8.jpeg
Willie I got underneath it last night and measured. The lowest point for me is from the Cat to the ground where I have just barely under 4 inches of clearance. The Kooks cats aren’t massive but you would pick up even more if you went off-road.

Users who are viewing this thread