Lowering a Durango

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
Ok, so a friend of mine has a 2001 Durango 4x4. He does not do any off roading at all. He is wanting to lower it 2" front and back. I have done a little reading around and it seems that 2" blocks will work for the front but everything I have seen says to change the tension in the torsion bars but that makes the front end softer. He is looking to lower it for more sporty handling.

Anyone know the best way to lower it?

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
tell him to ditch the SUV and get friggin car if he is worried about handling

He is not worried about it, he is just wanting to lower it. Same reason people lower trucks....because we like the vehicle we have and want to modify it because we are car enthusiats.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
He is not worried about it, he is just wanting to lower it. Same reason people lower trucks....because we like the vehicle we have and want to modify it because we are car enthusiats.

people that lower trucks do it on 2wd only.

people that lift trucks do 4x4.

why youd pay the extra to get a 4x4 version of something only to neuter it by a drop is beyond me.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
I understand the point. He bought the vehicle a while ago while he was in college. It is fully paid for so he is not going to sell to get another car payment. I do understand it is difficult to understand lowering a 4x4 vehicle is not the norm. Just because you have a 4x4 vehicle does not mean it was meant for mudding and rock crawling. There are many 4x4 suv's that are smaller and much lower to the ground.

yellowbra

Established Member
I understand the point. He bought the vehicle a while ago while he was in college. It is fully paid for so he is not going to sell to get another car payment. I do understand it is difficult to understand lowering a 4x4 vehicle is not the norm. Just because you have a 4x4 vehicle does not mean it was meant for mudding and rock crawling. There are many 4x4 suv's that are smaller and much lower to the ground.

well then tell him to save his money until he can afford a car payment. Sounds like he wants one its just not in the budget right now. So tell him to save whatever little money he has and get something that he wants instead of trying to turn what he has into something he wants.

lorne

Established Member
Durango 5.9RT

Did the 5.9RT have a lowered suspension? Maybe he could use parts from that..

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Ok, so a friend of mine has a 2001 Durango 4x4. He does not do any off roading at all. He is wanting to lower it 2" front and back. I have done a little reading around and it seems that 2" blocks will work for the front but everything I have seen says to change the tension in the torsion bars but that makes the front end softer. He is looking to lower it for more sporty handling.

Anyone know the best way to lower it?

Is he planning on doing drive-bys? :eek:

jfsram

Established Member
Since those are based off a Dakota. Find a Dakota forum and ask over there.
Dakota's have a pretty big following.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
people that lower trucks do it on 2wd only.

people that lift trucks do 4x4.

Neither of those statements are correct.

Usually you can remove the block from the back to lower the rear about 2". You can usually find a drop shackle to lower it another 2+ inches.

For the front, you can decrank the torsion bars if it has them or look into drop spindles.

Check out DJM, Belltech, and McGaughys.

Users who are viewing this thread