lowering my snake

scooter5

Established Member
can anyone tell me what needs to be disconnected in the rear to pull the spring out. i`ve never messed with a IRS. i lowered my 03 GT, no problems...
any help would be appreciated...

wayde:beer:

mustangsvtblack

Established Member
i lowered mine by cutting the springs a few weeks ago and this is what i did

i did this on a hoist, but jack stands would be the same

first i took the wheels off, pulled the tail pipes, used a screw jack under one of the control arms to take tension off while i removed the shock bolt. i then repeated the process on the other side for the shock bolt. After that i put the screw jack under the diff and removed the 2 rear irs subframe mounting bolts. once the bolts were out i lowered the screwjack to lower the irs until the springs were loose enought to pull out. I then marked where the pigtail of the spring was in the lower control arm a then cut them, 7/8 coil for the rears. total time to do rears was 1 hr.

for the fronts i removed the wheels, took the caliper off and placed it behind the strut to secure it, i then put the screw jack under the lower control arm and removed the 2 large strut to spindle bolts. after that i lowered the cotrol arm with the screw jack until the spring was loose enough to take out. some people will tell you to seperate the tierod end, but it in no way is necessary. After the spring was out i cut 3/4 coil and reinstalled. There are 2 small holes in the lower control arm, when installing the spring cover the first one but not the second. Total time for fronts 1 hr 15 min.

the rest of the time i put the wheels on and cleaned up. Hope this helps. on a scale of 1 to 10 i would rated this a 4

Users who are viewing this thread