Lowering Questions

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
Im sure its been asked many time before guys..lol. But i just picked up a 03 L the other day, and i need to lower it. ive looked at the FRPP kit, and the Hotchkis kit on LFP, but havent seen much else. anyone have any good reviews on the Hotchkis kit since it has new leafs? i think whoever had the truck before me put longer shackles on the rear, since they have a couple holes and several inches long. and after looking at a few factory pics it seems to sit lower in the rear. i wouldnt mind a 2/4 drop, but if thats gonna require new spindles... id rather stick with just springs. alignment isnt a problem for me since im a Ford tech.

let me know what kits you guys use, and what is out there if you dont mind. ive been in the Mustang/Cobra bag for over 10 years, just never on the truck side, so all the mods are new (in a sense) to me, and just wanna get it right the first time. thanks everyone!!!

ecfecb41.jpg

this is how it sits now, and like i said it seems lower in the rear than a factory setup.. i dont know if they came from the factory with any type of shackles, or bolted directly to the frame. i can get some pics underneath the rear, but itll have to wait till tomorrow if someone could tell me if its aftermarket shackles

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
from the looks of it, its 100% stock suspension.

Lots of ways you go like you said, its about how much $ are you willing to spend.

My set up for my '02 is Belltech 4804 springs cut half a coil, still kept the isos but taking them off soon. Belltech shackles/hangers out back. Belltech street performance shocks up front and DJM shocks out back.

IMG_1238.jpg

silver01litin

Established Member
Hey nice L. On mine i have the FRPP lowering kit with shackles in rear and springs up front. and belltech shocks all around, i like it alot and rides nice. also isnt too much money.

Dusten

Established Member
I have a 2/4 drop with belltech springs and shackles, and I can't remember what shocks are on it. It rides pretty stiff, but i like it

slick4_6

Established Member
Im sure its been asked many time before guys..lol. But i just picked up a 03 L the other day, and i need to lower it. ive looked at the FRPP kit, and the Hotchkis kit on LFP, but havent seen much else. anyone have any good reviews on the Hotchkis kit since it has new leafs? i think whoever had the truck before me put longer shackles on the rear, since they have a couple holes and several inches long. and after looking at a few factory pics it seems to sit lower in the rear. i wouldnt mind a 2/4 drop, but if thats gonna require new spindles... id rather stick with just springs. alignment isnt a problem for me since im a Ford tech.

let me know what kits you guys use, and what is out there if you dont mind. ive been in the Mustang/Cobra bag for over 10 years, just never on the truck side, so all the mods are new (in a sense) to me, and just wanna get it right the first time. thanks everyone!!!

ecfecb41.jpg

this is how it sits now, and like i said it seems lower in the rear than a factory setup.. i dont know if they came from the factory with any type of shackles, or bolted directly to the frame. i can get some pics underneath the rear, but itll have to wait till tomorrow if someone could tell me if its aftermarket shackles

I have a set of the FRPP coils I will sell ya. I bought them with a box of other stuff from a member on here a couple years ago and never installed them. I was supposed to get the kit but only ended up with the coils and 1 shackle. What dealer do you work at?

Last edited:

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
I have the FRPP kit with isolators left out of the front and one leaf removed. Rancho RS 9000 shocks and cut rear bumpstops down to 1/2 origonal height after installing shorter shocks. Also I shortened rear sway bar end links to correct it's angle.

I really like it as I can have a really firm ride with the shocks turned all the way up or a fairly plush ride with them on 5. Also I hope to see some air under the left front tire Labor day weekend as well as get my 60' down from 1.58 too low 1.5's or maybe even a 1.4x.

Lightningpics025.jpg

Lightningpics074.jpg

Lightningpics027.jpg

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
I have a set of the FRPP coils I will sell ya. I bought them with a box of other stuff from a member on here a couple years ago and never installed them. I was supposed to get the kit but only ended up with the coils and 1 shackle. What dealer do you work at?

im at Parkway of Lexington, used to be Plaza Ford. i used to work at Strider Buick GMC Subaru about 10 years ago in asheboro. PM me a price on what ya got and maybe we can meet up

thanks for the pics/info guys.. keep them coming!

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
49d00314.jpg

this is what was on it when i got it. i wouldnt think that is the factory length on these.. but i could be wrong. does anyone still have a stock 03-04 sitting around? assuming this is aftermarket.. i would think they make longer ones out there since it still needs to go lower.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
how much drop do these shackels equate too? i measured 7.5 inches from bolt to bolt

and i assume on hangers the Rivets would have to be knocked out, and new ones bolted in..

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
Measure from the center of the rear wheel to the top of the wheel opening of the rear fender and you can compare to how low others are.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
I lowered mine with hotchiks springs with a coil off isos on. and hangers and shackels in the rear. yes the rivets have to be cut off or drilled out. i have around a 3-4 inch drop in the front and a 5-6 drop in the rear

Users who are viewing this thread