lowering spring install

acrbill

Established Member
To those who have lowering springs installed. Did you guys install shortened bump stops? I have a set of Ford "K" -1.5 springs waiting to be installed and I had come across a set of Ford Racing bump stops designed for their springs so I picked them up. They include the front and rear bump stops and the instructions say to use them with the stock and the Ford Racing shocks/struts.

In all of the how to articles I have read none have mentioned using shorter bump stops. Is there a particular reason?

mcduffer7

Established Member
If I were you I'd install new struts and shocks along with the springs. You cant go wrong with the Koni STR'Ts. Stranoparts.com has them on sale for about $320. I have these along with my P springs and it is a nice ride. I also used the FRPP jounce bumper kit and an adj panhard bar to recenter the rearend.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Per the H&R instructions, I cut 1/4" off of the stock strut bump stop under the dust cover. In the rear I cut two sections off of the bump stop on the axle.

F8LVENOM

Established Member
If I were you I'd install new struts and shocks along with the springs. You cant go wrong with the Koni STR'Ts. Stranoparts.com has them on sale for about $320. I have these along with my P springs and it is a nice ride. I also used the FRPP jounce bumper kit and an adj panhard bar to recenter the rearend.

Looking to go with the same setup. Did you really need to recenter the rear? How far was it off? I was hoping to avoid having to get an adj phb with the mild drop of these P springs...

F8LVENOM

Established Member
I just installed the k spring and did not use them. No issues here.

You may not feel anything immediately, but it will probably come into play on certain road conditions, bumps etc. Per Ford:

"Installation of Ford Racing jounce bumpers is important to ride and comfort when using Ford Racing lowering springs on 2005-2011 Mustangs"

I figured for the $27.50 shipped that it cost me (from CJ Pony parts) for the bumpstop kit, it was certainly worth it for the piece of mind.

aquill1

Established Member
The pan hard bar requirement is a case-by-case basis. Some people don't need one and some do. Only way to tell, from everything I've read, was that you wont truly know until the car is lowered.

Anyone know if the bumpstop kit can be used with the roush extreme lowering springs (1.25" drop)? I still have a set sitting in my garage but haven't installed them yet. I'd like to do everything at once and do struts also.

Last edited:

cobra1718

Established Member
I bought the ford racing bumpstops guess what same height as the stock ones. Waste of money. You can jack up the car and cut the tops off the stock ones if they hit. I cant believe that would happen. (I have the K springs) I am installing a BMR adjustable panhard bar because my rear is shifted maybe 3/4 inch toward the driver side. So as one poster stated it is specific to each car. I also have RTR wheels which requires me to use the panhard bar.

F8LVENOM

Established Member
I bought the ford racing bumpstops guess what same height as the stock ones. Waste of money. You can jack up the car and cut the tops off the stock ones if they hit. I cant believe that would happen. (I have the K springs) I am installing a BMR adjustable panhard bar because my rear is shifted maybe 3/4 inch toward the driver side. So as one poster stated it is specific to each car. I also have RTR wheels which requires me to use the panhard bar.

you serious? I cant imagine Ford would try and pull such a blatantly fast one such as that...

Users who are viewing this thread