Lowering Spring Question

clc44

Established Member
I just installed full exhaust and may look into getting some springs that will give me a touch more room and a softer ride for my new lengthy commute. I currently have ford racing k springs with GT500 FR shocks and struts. Should I just go with the FR P springs or is there something better that only lowers the car about an inch? That will get me 1/2" more clearance and a smoother ride. Thanks for any help!!!

nate714

Established Member
20160206_160413_zpsizgojmzb.jpg

eibach pro-kit springs with a short rear tire. 275/40/18 rear is shorter than stock and it has been an eyesore since the moment I realized how much shorter it is than the front.

The pro-kit is supposedly 1.5 inch rear drop (same as K) and 1 inch front drop. With koni oranges I think it's closer to 1.2 front and rear, but I never measured. Shame on me. If you're looking for more comfort the P springs are probably the best bet, not sure who else offers a 1 inch drop on a progressive rate spring. I think the Eibach prokit is comfortable, but crossing rail tracks is harsh in the rear, probably from the stiffer LCA and Panhard, could be the shorter springs too.... I did everything at once so it's hard to point fingers at which part caused what.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
Thanks so much for your information. I will most likely go with the P springs. I know they'll get me a 1/2" lift and a softer feel. I can easily sell my k springs to recoupe some money.

BMR Tech 2

BMR SP009 springs are great for daily drivers. They're about 10-15% stiffer than stock, so they'll be quite a bit softer than the K springs you have on the car now. The P springs actually have a rate that is pretty close to the K springs.

clc44

Established Member
BMR SP009 springs are great for daily drivers. They're about 10-15% stiffer than stock, so they'll be quite a bit softer than the K springs you have on the car now. The P springs actually have a rate that is pretty close to the K springs.

Do you know how much they actually lower the car? I'd like to gain about 1/2" both front and rear(mainly front). I'm going to get 305/35/19 when I need new rears so I need the room.

nate714

Established Member
Steeda Sport springs might be comparable to the Eibach pro-kit. 1.25 rear drop and 1.0 front drop. I'd do that or P springs since your main reason is clearance. I had clearance issues with my H pipe scraping the crest of my driveway when my rear wheels were at the bottom and my fronts were fully elevated. A taller rear tire would have helped in my case.

clc44

Established Member
That. I plan on doing both. I'm going to go with the 30535 19 which is about the same height as the stock tire. Right now I'm about 4/10 of an inch shorter.

fred50stang

Established Member
I think you would like Steeda sport springs. I run them, and to me seem very comfortable, almost factory. Your not lowered a whole bunch either. And having been around 285 a few times, I still have good kidneys. lol

fred50stang

Established Member
I just took these. It measures, 27 3/4 front and 28 3/4 in back. I would like to get it a little lower in back and have been looking at maybe getting some BMR rear springs to get the car level.

71405729-B2F5-4DAB-A310-38117C19F806.jpg

D02EEED1-2E80-4A77-891B-D3E4B0C7EAA4.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I think you would like Steeda sport springs. I run them, and to me seem very comfortable, almost factory. Your not lowered a whole bunch either. And having been around 285 a few times, I still have good kidneys. lol

I had steeda sports and they're too stiff especially for someone wanting a "softer more factory like" ride.

I wanted the same and went back to stock springs with 1 and 1/8th coil cut off the rear and 3/4 coil off the front.

They're the best riding "lowering" springs I've ever had on any lowered car.

And I gained .2 in my 60 foot time.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
Hmm. I'll have to do some research. Heck, may just go ford racing P springs. They're going to be softer than what I have and def not too low.

Patriot_0311

Established Member
I had steeda sports and they're too stiff especially for someone wanting a "softer more factory like" ride.

I wanted the same and went back to stock springs with 1 and 1/8th coil cut off the rear and 1 coil off the front.

They're the best riding "lowering" springs I've ever had on any lowered car.

And I gained .2 in my 60 foot time.

How much did this lower your ride front and back? Do you cut coils from the top of the spring or the bottom?

Users who are viewing this thread