lowering springs w/stock shocks/struts??

blown93302

Established Member
hello, am looking at lowering my 99 cobra vert and was talking online to the guys at stangsuspension.com and right when i asked which springs they recomend the "operator" told me he will not recomend any because my shocks and struts are completely worm and i would have to replace those at the same time. he told me that the 99-01 shocks are complete garbage and only last 3 years/30,000 miles. my car has 40,000 on it currently. my question is do i have to spend an extra $500 to get shocks/struts just because i want to lower my car safely!? i have never heard this before, is he just trying to get me to spend more money or can i just put springs on and have the car lowered like i originally wanted? sorry for the long post, but i am a little ticked off and confused right now after that chat with him... thanks!

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
You can technically lower your car with stock shocks/struts, but the ride quality will not be there and the stock parts will not hold up near as long as they should. Your best bet is buying a set of quality shocks/struts like Tokico, Koni, etc and put those on when or shortly after you lower your car.

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
Or pick up some 03/04 bilsteins. they are a good if you are not wanting to spend a lot of money for new shocks/struts

Sick01Cobra

Established Member
i just did shocks and struts with mine with my spring install as well as a bumpsteer kit and offset bushings. I mean since your there you might as well do the struts and from what iv herd it is recommended.

Lefty10

....Slow....
Established Member
^ well I found a steal. I got 03/04 bilstein's from a 04 cobra w/ 14k miles for 175 bucks for front and rear. I mean who would pass that up lol

Sny714

Established Member
where did you pick up the tokikos for that price?? stangsuspension has front/rears for just over $300... lmk

I bought them new off of ebay for around $280, I thought it was around $180 but I was wrong. Now I remember that I paid $500+ for my springs and shocks/struts. Sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread