Lowering Springs & What Tires???

rickymh

Established Member
I have a Eibach sportline 2" drop on my 01.
I had 265/35/18 Toyo tires on a 18x9 rim with a 1" spacer in the rear.

My rear tires are now gone. So i bought some used 275/40/r18.
With my 1" spacer the tires rub on my body extremly with any bump.
I took the spacer off the they very rarley rub only with people in the back.

Im a stuck with a 265/35/18 because of my 2" drop. Now im thinking of changing the springs because I want a fatter tire in the rear.

Any ideas, suggestions?

What will coil overs do for me?

99BRA

Established Member
if its the rims in the sig pic those are 2k cobra rs as for springs i believe i have h&r with a 275 40 17 on my 99 cobra and have no problems at all

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Well, your first problem is, if the person in the back of your Cobra isn't in a car seat, they are too heavy to be back there if you are lowered. You shouldn't ride with anyone in the back. Secondly, you have problems if you are rubbing with 265s or 275s. What offset are the wheels?

rickymh

Established Member
I think im just going to have to get the 265/35's again and just put my 1" spacer on my
9x rims. And Ill just buy 17rims and put a fatter DR tire.

cobraracer46 what is the diffrence between replicas?
Ive had my rims for 6 years no problems.

RJM

Informed SVT Poster
Established Member
I can put 4 200lbs + people in my car with 335's and H&R SS springs which sit lower that your springs and I dont rub at all...ever. Its all about your wheel offset!

Last edited:

rickymh

Established Member
I guess i confused everyone, Maybe this will clear my issue up.

I dont have an issue with wide tires, but the "Aspect Ratio" the height of my tire. On my old "35's" I dont rub with 4 people but right I want to get some tires with a Biger Thicker Height "aspect Ratio"
So im testing a pair of used 275/40 and they rub on the wall of the tire.

I think my car is just to low. Thanks everyone for all their input.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I can put 4 200lbs + people in my car with 335's and H&R SS springs which sit lower that your springs and I dont rub at all...ever. Its all about your wheel offset!

I don't see how you can fit 4 200+lb people in your Stang, more power to you. But I think you are correct and the wheel offset.

TripleBlackVert

Meh whatever!
Established Member
I have 2 1/2" Intrax and was running a 275-40-18 with no rubbing at all could have probably went another inch before any problems.
Why do you have spacers on it?

RJM

Informed SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't see how you can fit 4 200+lb people in your Stang, more power to you. But I think you are correct and the wheel offset.

LOL I didnt said it was a great fit and you really need to feel for the person sitting behind my 6'5" butt that being said its been done a few times with no rubbing issues just have to lube up the people in the back to get them in and out....hehe

I guess i confused everyone, Maybe this will clear my issue up.

I dont have an issue with wide tires, but the "Aspect Ratio" the height of my tire. On my old "35's" I dont rub with 4 people but right I want to get some tires with a Biger Thicker Height "aspect Ratio"
So im testing a pair of used 275/40 and they rub on the wall of the tire.

I think my car is just to low. Thanks everyone for all their input.

I'm sure my 335/30's are as tall as your 275/40's and still wider and my car sits lower than your car plus I'm running a 18x10.5. Keep in mind the pic in my sig was taken just hours after I put the SS springs on my car and now the car sits a full inch or more lower. The offset of the wheels you have is wrong for that tire size to fit. Yuo say it rubs and I'm sure it does but it only rubs on the inside or the outside one or the other meaning the wheel is not centered in the wheelwell. With 3 big guys sitting in my car I cant see the top inch or so of the rear tire as its up past the wheel lip and add me and no rubbing because I made sure before I did anything that the wheel was centered in the wheelwell thoughout in range of travel with no spring in the car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread