Lowering your Cobra?

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
Hey guys,

I was quoted an ungodly amount to install springs on my 01 Cobra. The reason was the IRS. What should I expect to pay or is this something I could do myself, I did install Ford "C" Spings on my 2000 GT, it took a few hours but I made it happen. Is the Cobra IRS that much of a biotch that I should spend the extra money and have someone else do it?

What do you guys think,

Thanks Everyone!

Adam:coolman:

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
It wasn't that bad. I did mine with the help of a friend, and I'd never done it before. It took about 7 hours total, but thats because the back was sort of a PITA with the spring compressor we were trying to use. I think I could definitely do it quicker if I had to do it again.

-Rick

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
The fronts are very easy. I did them myself, which means it must be fairly simple. The backs are difficult to do. The guy who did mine called Steeda (the maker of my springs of course) and the recommended installation approach was to lower the whole IRS subframe. He is a friend, but still charged me about five or six hours of labor.

If I was you, I would consider doing the fronts yourself and having somebody else do the backs. They do make a world of difference and are worth the time, effort, and bucks in my opinion.

Just my thoughts....

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
If I remember correctly, all I did was lower the rear A-Arms just like the fronts... there are a few more things to disconnect in the rear though...

-Rick

Toplesss

Established Member
Do It.... Youll be proud

I think you should try it. If you can do a solid axle car this isnt that much harder. The rear is a little harder than the front..but it its not all that hard. I lowered mine with the help of my dad... It took us like 5 hours or so... We just used a couple jacks and a set of jackstands...nothing fancy at all.
In my opinion the hardest thing about the rear is getting the factory springs out. Once they are out its cake. I have the Eibach Pro-Kit in mine... They fit in without a spring compressor.
I think if you decide to do it yourself youll be glad you did.
Good Luck

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Listen to the guys who have done it. It is starting to sound so easy that I wish I would have done it myself:rollseyes

Taz

Established Member
Adam,

The IRS doesn't complicate the installation that much. You can swap the springs yourself without any major grief. I put together a set of detailed instructions when I upgraded the suspension on my '01. Email me if you want a copy of the document.

T-

:coolman:

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
Taz,

I emailed you about those instructions, From what you guys are saying its seems that it really won't be that hard. I appreciate everyones response on this tread. You guys again have been most helpful!

Thanks,

2stangBK

Established Member
Now thats the real Georgia State Flag.
The springs are just as mentioned above. A little bit tougher than the front but still no reason to pay someone else to do. I did mine by myself with the spring compressor from Autozone. You'll be fine.
BK

trents99

99cbra was my hero
Established Member
Adam,

You do not need a spring compressor at all. I got the Steeda sports and they were a bit tricky on the front but with the help of a friend we wedged them in. The IRS is not bad at all. If you are just doing springs and not shocks/struts all you have to do on the rear is unbolt the lower shock mount, take the exhaust off the hangers (don't unbolt the exhaust from the h-pipe), and drop the 2 bolts off the IRS mounting points. If you got a friend to help you could do the whole thing in maybe 5-6 hours taking your time. Let me know if you need any help. I'm about 30 minutes south of Hartsfield.

BTW, nice flag and color choice on the snake.:coolman:

Cobra99Dave

Established Member
I agree with Trents99. Lower the 2 IRS mounting bolts and unbolt the top shock bolt and its cake. Took my friend and I just 2 hours using air tools but no lift.

Dave

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Here's a detailed instruction with pics....buddy of mine, MineralGSVT on here

http://www.fallscitymustangclub.com/How_to/SaleenSprings.htm

took me about 4 hours, and an internal spring compressor from AutoZone....OH and you'll need a socket (forget what size, but it's the same size as the alternator pulley nut) to get the shock loose on the front if you use these instructions.

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
:thumbsup:

Thank you all for the responses, I've made my mind up that I will attempt this myself, with the help of all your responses and instructions posted....

Now if I can talk the wife into letting me purchase some Steeda Springs!

Let me have them Springs biach! :bash:

hummm maybe the approach could use some work!!!!

Seriously Thanks Everyone!!!!

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
this may be a dumb question but do I need to get my car re-aligned afterwards and can they align it. A friend of mine said that it is impossible to align a car if you lower. I honestly think its bull shit but just wondering from you guys that have done it. Thanks. Also are caster camber plates needed with an inch and a half drop?

Last edited:

AzDropTop

Established Member
You should get an alignment after you lower your car. CC plates probably are not necessary at 1.5" drop, but are suggested.

Trblmkr

Established Member
If I purchased the Saleen Springs and installed them... what can I expect from my ride?

I know it will be lowered but will there be any loss of stability, will it be better??

Will it corner better or worse??

Any and all info for your guys that have just swapped out your SPRINGS (not the shocks and struts)... I'd love to hear from you..

shadow

got snake ?
Established Member
I'm not sure about the Saleen springs, but I did just the Eibach springs and I'd do it all over again in a second!! - Its that much better!
It dropped the car 1 1/2" so it really looks better, especially with the 18's on it now.
I just ordered up the Bilsteins and got the MM caster/camber plates, so I'll be changing out that stuff as well - But I don't think that you *need* to do that stuff, I just want to.

Users who are viewing this thread