LPW Cover ???

sltblock

Established Member
I just ordered the LPW IRS rear end girdle due to a small leak(about a drip or two a week). This cover has to be better than stock. How much and what type of fluid should I use? I know the diff. is only sealed with silicon but could I also use a gasket like RPM outlet is selling? If not what would be the best silicon to use? How long is this job going to take my Brother has a shop with a lift? Thanks, Rob

waltd20012002

Established Member
i've been looking at the same job. with a lift and 4 hands, i say 2-3hrs tops. it looks pretty straight forward; drop the exhaust stingers, remove the old cover, clean housing and seal area, "Right Stuff" gasket maker, install new cover, fill w/ fluid, replace the exhaust stingers, and let her sit for a bit for the silicone to cure.
if i'm not mistaken it calls for a 75/140 gear oil. I was going to use royal purple but thats just me, you'll get a half dozen people saying "this" and six people saying "that" on the brand/weight. Its just one of those things.
let me know what you think of that cover, I'll be getting a new one in the coming weeks and I'm trying to decide between the Fore & LPW.

waltd20012002

Established Member
wow.. it looks like i may of been way off on my assumption of the "ease" of that op. i didn't take into consideration that the IRS frame work is tied into the cover.
hopefully someone who has actually done the job will chime in soon. i need to know if it can be done without a lift, as i don't have one at my disposal.
on a side note it looks like the bolt pattern is the same as a standard 8.8 so if you go with a gasket, I'd use a "lube locker". LRS.com has them for like $17

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
My advise is drop the whole IRS it will be easier in the long run. It is not very hard you can do it in your garage I did.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Ur in luck I just did mine 1 month ago, same cover LPW. Drop both sides of exhaust, drop drive shaft, remove both wheels brake calipers rotors and hub mount brackets with toe like bar attachet. Slide out axles also vib dampner comes off with mount bracket and remove that small sway bar under diff but do not take the bolts all the wAy out just back them out enough to pop the bar off. Diff will drop out make sure to support it probably dosent have to come out but u should to tq down the cover the right way also the preload bolts and all it will b harder if u don't take it out trust me just take the diff out I did it my self two jack stands 1 jack RTVsil hand tools is what u need. Let me know if u have any questions. Oh ya make sure to put it all back the right way if not u will get this clunk lash from he'll as I had to re do mine. Good Luck.

Last edited:

waltd20012002

Established Member
good info.. thanks. i think i'll be pulling out the whole irs assembly. i'm gonna do the front /rear delrhin bushings and the subframe bushings as well while its out.

sltblock

Established Member
Got my LPW cover and took the snake to the dealership to install and service the rear end. They are going to install the cover and service the rear end for a little over $300. I was going to do it myself until he told me it would be $300. I did call around to other dealerships and they were all much higher. I’ll let you know tomorrow what I think about the cover and the total out the door cost. Later, Rob

sltblock

Established Member
The dealership called before I got off work and told me the Cobra was ready to pick up(droped off this morning and picked up the same day). The service manager installed my LPW cover and said that is what ford should have put on the cobra in the first place. Looking under he car you cant really see the cover good but you can get to the drain plug and refill the rear end without breaking the seal. The cover looks good with a great fit. The final out the door cost was $310 cover installed and rear end serviced.

waltd20012002

Established Member
thats not too bad. i'm running short on time before i have to go back overseas so i may drop my car off at one of my buddies shops and let them tackle the bushings and cover while i'm gone.

Users who are viewing this thread