LT Installation Question

97_CobraSVT

Established Member
Im going to be pulling my engine and trans on my 97 soon and at the same time be installing my LT. Its is easer to bolt the LT on the engine and then put it in the car or lower the engine in the engine bay and before setting it down installing the LT. Im going to have the engine and trans bolted together not put them in separate. Im going to pull my radiator and my front bumper and most likely the fenders so I wont have to worry about all that.

97_CobraSVT

Established Member
Waite... I know the LT won't go through the top... It sounded like he was saying the motor has to come out the bottom. Does it?

Helomech74

Established Member
You can install the headers on the engine and drop it in from the top. It's a VERY tight fit, so take your time and have lots of patience. I like to tape up my strut towers and fire wall with blue painters tape to help prevent scrapes and damage to the paint. I actually prefer to drop the engine in from the top without the K member installed in the car, lower the engine down as far as I can and then install the headers, just makes it less of a headache for me. Then raise the engine up, install K member and drop motor back down again to bolt it in. But it can be done from the top, I've done it several times.

Last edited:

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Do it by dropping the K unless your motor is coming out anyway. Its not hard there is just a ton of crap you have to take off

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
It'll go in from the top. I just put in mine this weekend. Headers and trans all at once. It's snug, but it'll fit. An engine leveler helped a ton.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

tmoee3

Established Member
go from the top thats how they did mine, while it was out i also looked for minor leaks valve cover etc... and fixed some little things gl

97_CobraSVT

Established Member
go from the top thats how they did mine, while it was out i also looked for minor leaks valve cover etc... and fixed some little things gl

That's the plan... I know I have a oil leake so I'll be fixing that for sure. Also going to be doing some preventive maitance while I have it out.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
anyone else have problems with bbk's on the passenger side being extremely close to the firewall? I think im going to try to get some heatshield material on the firewall so it doesnt burn through the paint and rust it out.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
anyone else have problems with bbk's on the passenger side being extremely close to the firewall? I think im going to try to get some heatshield material on the firewall so it doesnt burn through the paint and rust it out.

I have LT BBKs and while they're close, no paint damage.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread