M/T 28X12.5X15 tires

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
How many people are running M/T 28X12.5X15 ET Streets on their Mustang? I have a set waiting to go on my wheels whenever I get them. I bought them after seeing the following pics of a Boss on another forum with them. I tried sending the end user a PM, but haven't received a reply yet, so I thought I'd ask the question here. Will they will clear without having to make modifications?

image_zps9d08185d.jpg

image_zps2116d957.jpg

image_zps036b0fa1.jpg

image_zps2e9997a5.jpg

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF MANY SECRETS
Established Member
I can shed some light here for ya.

M/T ET Street bias ply #3755 28x12.5-15 tire has the exact same dimensions as a regular 28x10.5-15 slick #3055.
For years, bias ply racing tire makers that had DOT legal tires would put a larger width on the DOT tires vs regular slicks. This is why the ET Street bias plys are marked 12.5" instead of 10.5".

From what I've researched, the only thing you need to do is a sway bar relocation kit and use the proper back spacing 15x10 wheels. No other modifications needed. Other than maybe ARP rear wheel studs for safety.

When I ran this tire on my Turbo Buicks, I would run 11-12psi cold. After a good burn out, the pressures would be at 15-16psi hot. These tires are nothing more than slicks with groves and a DOT number. Don't get caught in the rain though as they will behave just like a slick. You will love them. I know when I go bias ply on a drag setup, this exact tire is what I'm going with again.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
I can shed some light here for ya.

M/T ET Street bias ply #3755 28x12.5-15 tire has the exact same dimensions as a regular 28x10.5-15 slick #3055.
For years, bias ply racing tire makers that had DOT legal tires would put a larger width on the DOT tires vs regular slicks. This is why the ET Street bias plys are marked 12.5" instead of 10.5".

From what I've researched, the only thing you need to do is a sway bar relocation kit and use the proper back spacing 15x10 wheels. No other modifications needed. Other than maybe ARP rear wheel studs for safety.

When I ran this tire on my Turbo Buicks, I would run 11-12psi cold. After a good burn out, the pressures would be at 15-16psi hot. These tires are nothing more than slicks with groves and a DOT number. Don't get caught in the rain though as they will behave just like a slick. You will love them. I know when I go bias ply on a drag setup, this exact tire is what I'm going with again.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

Cool! Sounds like I can get through this with minimal fuss then. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Fastnature

Established Member
No mods needed for the TIRES to fit. I have had no issues on my race stars.

The wheels will require the sway bar relocate brackets just as RUQWKNF said

Gaudin Ford

Established Member
Glad this thread was made. I am planning on running the 28/12.5-15's.

According to MT's website the 28/12.5-15 has a taller sidewall than the 28/11.5-15

Can anyone confirm this? Yes I know they both say "28" but MT's site says the 28/12.5 has like .5 inches taller sidewall.

CorDog009

Established Member
Glad this thread was made. I am planning on running the 28/12.5-15's.

According to MT's website the 28/12.5-15 has a taller sidewall than the 28/11.5-15

Can anyone confirm this? Yes I know they both say "28" but MT's site says the 28/12.5 has like .5 inches taller sidewall.

The 12.50 will always have a taller sidewall than an 11.50.

STANGDU

Established Member
Do you plan on running tubes or no tubes? Also what front tires are those on the Boss? Can you run 15 inch rim on the front w/ non brembo brake cars?

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
Do you plan on running tubes or no tubes? Also what front tires are those on the Boss? Can you run 15 inch rim on the front w/ non brembo brake cars?

M/T's website says run tubes with the 28X12.5X15 ET Streets, but I won't be running tubes on my car because I don't want to run screws. There are lots of people successfully running them without tubes. The front tires are M&H 28X4.5X17 front runners. I'm pretty sure you can run 15" wheels up front on non Brembo cars.

STANGDU

Established Member
I got my MT ET Street 28X12.5X 15 tires and had them put on my race stars. No tubes or screws. I want to run them briefly on the street and was wondering what the tire pressure should be for my 5 minute drive to the track? Plan on racing with the pressure down to 15.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I got my MT ET Street 28X12.5X 15 tires and had them put on my race stars. No tubes or screws. I want to run them briefly on the street and was wondering what the tire pressure should be for my 5 minute drive to the track? Plan on racing with the pressure down to 15.
I have a 20 minute drive and I put 25psi in my bias ply hoosiers for the drive to and from

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF MANY SECRETS
Established Member
I also ran 25psi in my 28x12.5 ET Street bias plies when cruising around town or to the track. Get to the track, let them cool down to the touch for 20-30 mins or until the air coming out is ambient temp and not warm, then set tire pressure at 12psi cold before making a pass. 25psi cruising is good to go IMO.

WnR32VSC

Established Member
You just need the caliper brackets and rotors from an 05-09. Or just grab FRPP part# M-2300-D

When I look up that part number I see this

Requires 17" or larger 2005-2011 Mustang wheels such as M-1007-T178C for caliper clearance.

How would a 15'' rim work then?

STANGDU

Established Member
Ok, 12lbs at the track after they cool. Do you need tubes in the front runners? Thinking of getting 26" M&H front runners and need to know if I need tubes or not in the front.

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF MANY SECRETS
Established Member
I don't know of any of my friends who have ever run tubes in bias ply front runner tires. I never did and I always ran bias ply style front tires on my skinnies.
Just make sure, if you get bias ply, (instead of radial ply) that you take it easy around corners and on ramps. Don't drive bias ply tires like you would daily driver stock radials.
Also, keep an eye on your front tire pressures if you keep the skinnies on the car and it sits in the garage for awhile. Lastly, I recommend getting metal bolt on style valve stems, vs regular rubber stems.
Like these.

306-2900-4.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit-Wheels/306/2900-4/10002/-1?parentProductId=758236

Some NHRA sanctioned tracks will require that you run metal valve stems depending on your ET. Might as well get them now vs later.

Hope this helps.

STANGDU

Established Member
I don't know of any of my friends who have ever run tubes in bias ply front runner tires. I never did and I always ran bias ply style front tires on my skinnies.
Just make sure, if you get bias ply, (instead of radial ply) that you take it easy around corners and on ramps. Don't drive bias ply tires like you would daily driver stock radials.
Also, keep an eye on your front tire pressures if you keep the skinnies on the car and it sits in the garage for awhile. Lastly, I recommend getting metal bolt on style valve stems, vs regular rubber stems.
Like these.
Thanks for the info. and the heads up on the metal valve stems. I will only have these on the car when I go to race. The track is 5 minutes from my house:).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread