m/t drags hydroplaning!!!

sam23

i just got a new set of 275/40r/17 mickey thompson drag radials put on my mustang. I was cruising down the highway in sixth at 50mph in light rain and my car started hydroplaning. It scared the crap out of me because i didn't even fill a puddle in the road and the speed limit was 60mph. So, i let off the gas and slowed down to 40mph, the stupid thing did it again a few minutes later so i put it in fifth and drove 40 the rest of the way.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with the m/t dr's?

I do not like changing wheels, so i run what i ride on. My nitto dr's never gave me any probs but these are crazy! I just gotta get something that hooks but is drivable in the rain with caution

Last edited by a moderator:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hey Bro.. The Mickeys are awesome tires when the roads are dry but when it is wet they are deadly. I suggest when driving with them and you go through any wet weather slow to about 30-35 MPH and do no sudden braking or shifting. These tires were not desingned for the rain. Just like the BFG's they are unsafe for wet weather. I think the best DR for all purpose driving is the Nitto 555R but they nowhere hook like a Mickey or Hoosier does. Hope that helps. Jared
showle02 said:
i just got a new set of 275/40r/17 mickey thompson drag radials put on my mustang. I was cruising down the highway in sixth at 50mph in light rain and my car started hydroplaning. It scared the crap out of me because i didn't even fill a puddle in the road and the speed limit was 60mph. So, i let off the gas and slowed down to 40mph, the stupid thing did it again a few minutes later so i put it in fifth and drove 40 the rest of the way.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with the m/t dr's?

I do not like changing wheels, so i run what i ride on. My nitto dr's never gave me any probs but these are crazy! I just gotta get something that hooks but is drivable in the rain with caution

BO TY KLR

Established Member
It's the nature of the beast. You wanna run drag tires on the street, be prepared for the rain.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Wide tire/soft rubber/next to no tread = bad rain driving experiences. I'm playing with a new set of M/Ts now and they are truly awesome on dry roads but they are coming off the car next time rain is in the forecast. It only takes ten minutes to change them if you have an impact and floor jack. half an hour if you don't. If you happen to get caught in the rain, slow down and be careful.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I got caught in the rain with my BFG DRs ONCE. I never drive the cobra when I know it's going to rain and I never will, because 1.) the car gets filthy, and 2.) it scared the crap out of me the one time it did happen. They're terrible, I had to drive 40mph or less, even when I had "control" of the car, the rear end was wagging back and forth the whole time. I'm sure the MTs are just as bad or worse. Nittos are the only DRs that I would feel ok driving in the rain with. This is the formula that I came up with after my one (and only) experience...BFG DRs + rain = death

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
See now, this is why the "tires only" hop remedy is pure BS. Any water on the road and you are sideways, especially with MT or BFG, absolutely deadly choice for DD unless you live in a permanent desert.

A good friend of mine wrecked his car on MT DR in rain. DO NOT DRIVE anywhere you are not certain you can get back from on dry roads using these tires. I treat them as track only tires.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
I got caught in the rain once with my Nitto DR's, 3rd and 4th just spun making it very hard to get home. I don't drive in the rain but this rain snuck up on me. Only when it's dry and sunny for me from now on.

Wild Bill

Established Member
I've got M/T drags on now and not really sure if I like them.They seem to hook real good from a stop but the car floats around at speed.I think when these wear out I'll go back to the Nittos.

sam23

I have 2500 miles on mine (none at the track) and they look like someone sliced them up with a cheese grater. The asphault really wears on that soft compound and rips it up when i spin on a road that is rough

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
postban said:
See now, this is why the "tires only" hop remedy is pure BS. Any water on the road and you are sideways, especially with MT or BFG, absolutely deadly choice for DD unless you live in a permanent desert.

A good friend of mine wrecked his car on MT DR in rain. DO NOT DRIVE anywhere you are not certain you can get back from on dry roads using these tires. I treat them as track only tires.

+1

TTA89

Established Member
I run my MTs all the time. I wouldn't go on the highway in the rain with them but I have driven back and forth to work up to 50mph on them in the pouring rain with no issues. If you stab the gas its you're own fault.

The guy saying that the Nitto Drag Radial tires were blowing off in 3rd and 4th is either trying to race or doesn't know what he is talking about. I have Auto X'd with those in the Rain and they are fine...

Don't push the gas pedal in the rain! Drive the car normally!

Users who are viewing this thread